Sign in to follow this  
-JD-

Review: 8129 AT-AT

AT-AT  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the set?

2. 2. How did you find the ongoing review?

I have to say that Lego has released too many versions of the AT-AT. The first one was just as good as this version. The only thing that makes this one worth buying is the figures. If they were going to release a new AT-AT why didn't they do a total redesign instead of just releasing a version that looks almost identical to the old one? Considering how well Lego has done with remaking old sets and improving on them I feel like they really dropped the ball on this one.

Now that I can see the scale clearer, this is going to be too expensive for my budget.

A pity, as I don't own a single AT-AT and probably never will...

Thanks for the excellent review Jammiedodger! Now i have a better appreciation of the whole set after seeing your review. For me it's a pretty decent set, but something that I won't bother buying because of the fact that I'm never a fan of missized walkers. If ever I wanted to have an AT-AT, I would rather create my own in true minifig size. The positive thing about this set is the new minifig parts, particularly the new Han torso and Luke's updated detailed helmet. I also happen to like the new white-pupiled faces, which are good details IMO.

Thanks for the review. It is not a bad AT-AT. I have the 2003 version and this one seems a bit smaller. On the other hand, the new one has twice as many mini-figs compared to the older one.

han_o.n.jpg

I like Han's new torso, but his face doesn't suit the character. A mix of the new torso and old face and legs will do the trick!

What's with that one little black line on the the chest sticking up from the shirt (about 1 mm high on the flesh area). It looks like cleavage...is Han turning to the other side :wacko:

Maybe it's a single chest hair.

This set looks decent, but I'm still thinking about buying the motorized version so I can scare the cat and possibly my kids too. Of course, knowing my 2 year old daughter, she'd probably try to ride the thing. :wacko:

Great review! I still think this set is great. It´s not that hard to increase the size of this thing with a few extra bley parts. The new Solofig wears his Bespin outfit which is great for them who already own a hoth-Solo (yes it´s wierd to include him and 3po though). The only complaint is another sneak-version of Veers and no printed leg-joint-dishes (anyway I bought 8 of these printed dishes from bricklink a couple of days ago :classic: ).

Final problem is that I have 2 kids, so I need to buy 3 sets, and my wife does not really get the importance of owning an AT-AT.

While this set could be better. Its sure perfect for me as it will be my first AT AT. I like the design of it, its not too detailed but they didnt make it really bare. The minifigs are great cause there is heaps of them and the updated Han and Luke minifigs are cool as. Does luke have a different face compared to his one in this year's Landspeeder? :look:

Nice review, but I'm impartial about the set. I own the motorized version and I'e modified it for greater accuracy, so I'm most likely not getting this set, on the other hand, it does look pretty nice and comes with a lot of figures.

Comparison shots with anything (not necessarily another AT-AT) would be greatly appreciated. Somehow this one seems smaller to me than the other versions.

Thanks for the very kind comments guys! :sweet:

I do have the motorized AT-AT to compare it to, so I'll do that today. I can tell you now the new one looks much nicer.

Well the set looks nice, though it feels lighter on for parts than the Motorized version. The motorized version seems to have more greebling in the form of cheese slopes etc than this new version, it looks like they have sacrificed the number of parts to try and keep the price down. You certainly do get 3 more figures than the motorized version though, and I for one really like the new "pupil" eyes. Han looks all grown up.

As for the review itself, Jamie you have done a great job of presenting all the quirks and tidbits of this set quite well. The photography is nicely done as well.

So for me it appears more money is being spent on figs and cutting back on parts for the set itself. Still divided on whether to get this set or not :sceptic:

Thanks ISC!

I recommmend this set to you all, it isn't as bad as we all thought it was! :thumbup:

Amazed more people don't own the other AT AT's. Got 4 in total and I'm toting with buying another of these

Sounds like someone's loaded. :tongue:

That is pretty awesome though BrickHitHouse!

What's with that one little black line on the the chest sticking up from the shirt (about 1 mm high on the flesh area). It looks like cleavage...is Han turning to the other side :wacko:

:laugh:

No, it's muscle!

Isn't this like the 4th AT-AT set from lego? :hmpf_bad:

Though I'm excited for part two.

No, it's the third, not counting the minis.

Part 2 is already up btw. :wink:

Does luke have a different face compared to his one in this year's Landspeeder? :look:

No, but with my set his eyebrows are lower giving him the determined/mischievious expression. Probably a printing error.

It gives more variation which is always great. :sweet:

Thanks again, and more pictures will be up later.

Jammiedodger714, can we get another look at the rear? Is it possible to make something out of the rear compartment (more troops, speederbike or weaponstorage)?

I think it is fine as a set, I would love to get it as my first AT&T, but at that price tag I would have to choose between it and the galactic enforcer I've been saving for to get on christmas, and I am more of a LEGO space fan than a starwars fan...

Also, although C3PO is quite of a random choice, this makes the set a good start for a collection, Han, Luke, C3PO , snow troopers and an AT&T is there anything else you can ask?

You know what is pretty strange? I already got the new Han Solo head in my copy of 8038 Battle of Endor! I didn't know what head it was until I read this review (which is very good, by the way). Well, I don't like it.

On to the AT-AT set, I will most probably get it. Firstly, the design is really good (yeah I know, it's very similar to the previous AT-ATs but who cares? Their designs were very good already) and secondly: it's not fragile! An AT-AT set that's not fragile, I didn't expect that to ever exist :classic: . Oh, and the minifigs are nice.

Greetings

Very nice and detailed review, thanks a lot.

In the end, the only thing I find improved in this set is the neck. the round plates giv it a better look than what they did on 4483. But apart from that, I really think it's a step down from the original (but still 4 or 5 steps up from the motorised version :tongue: ).

As for the figs, while I don't quite like Luke's new head (it gives him a rather moody and grim expression), I do like Han's.

But in the end, I'll definitely pass on that one. My old one is perfectly safe on the top of my best-SW-set-ever list. I might just mod it's neck with the new one. Although I don't think those plates come in old gray :cry_sad:

Good review! Your pics give a good indication as to the size, which is markedly smaller than the original (a 4-wide speeder bike could fit between the slopes that form the inner structure in the original). The new figs look nice, but Han and C3PO still seem odd choices.

It's curious that TLG didn't give us a printed cockpit piece, or at least a sticker to simulate controls, rather than create a removeable control pallet with the controls one would assume to be necessary in the cockpit.

I'll most likely get one of these, more for the figs than the AT-AT, as I feel the original set far outshines this model. I'd like to see a side-by-side pic of the new and old AT-ATs (non-walking one, i.e.) However, for those who missed out on the original, I'm glad you'll get a chance to own an official AT-AT model. I'm hoping their next version will be either UCS (w/minifigs), or, at the very least, a larger more accurate version (that seats 2 in the cockpit). I doubt that this will be the last AT-AT set we see before they give up the license.

Thanks for a great review on a most controversial set indeed! I have read a lot of opinions on this set and I guess I will give my 2 cents. I personally thing the set is ok and a decent if innacurate model. & I think the more minifigs in a set the better! Bespin Han Solo is a good addition even if he is an unecessary fig. P.S. if it hasn't been said a comparison shot next to the motorized ATT would be pretty cool please :sweet:

I love that new Han face! It looks just like a stubble-less Indiana Jones now. I'd love to see a comparison pic or even a switcheroo of the Han/Indy heads.

Thanks for the great review Jammiedodger714. I have been keen to get an AT-AT set for some time but was unsure whether to go for this or the motorised version. After your review I think I might make a trip to my local TRU to see if this is in stock. Must admit was expecting it to be around the £75 mark. Love Luke's helmet (that just sounds wrong!).

Yikes.

With all due respect to everyone who's finally getting a chance to get their own AT-AT... I'm just not impressed with this one. It seems better than the motorized edition (which I don't own), but at the same time it appears to be a poor man's version of the original AT-AT (which I do have).

In comparison to the '03, it's very very similar, although the body seems a bit shorter. On top of that, there's just so many little things that aren't that bad, but just seem inferior-- the use of shovels, pistols and hammers(??), the absence of the printed radar dish pieces for the leg joints, the greebling doesn't seem as impressive, and what's with the camel hump???

Of course, there are some things that I do like about this one, certainly more than the motorized design: The area on the body just above the head looks pretty nice, and the head seems to be an improvement on the 2003, which was aesthetically pleasing but not so structurally sound. I do love the new Han torso but not enough to buy the set.

Like others, I'd have preferred an update of the original AT-AT, but since they now sell for about £200 and this is an opportunity to get one for £90, this goes on my wish list. Having said that, I'm really exited about getting this, more so after the review, and it does look like a nice set. Improvements on minifigs and a chance to get C3PO all add to the must have-ness of the set.

Do you have another AT-AT to do comparison pics? So far, I think it looks horrible :sick: .

I have to agree...that's one ugly-looking AT-AT!

IMO, it looks really 'chunky and clunky'. There is something that is just...'off'...about it.

It may have some cool build elements and new figure elements but, all in all, I am NOT impressed.

AT-ATcomparison.jpg

Edited by Ogre

Like others, I'd have preferred an update of the original AT-AT, but since they now sell for about £200 and this is an opportunity to get one for £90, this goes on my wish list. Having said that, I'm really exited about getting this, more so after the review, and it does look like a nice set. Improvements on minifigs and a chance to get C3PO all add to the must have-ness of the set.

The original AT-AT was regularly going on eBay for around £100 last year, so it might be worth keeping an eye on things to see a bargain.

I have to agree...that's one ugly-looking AT-AT!

IMO, it looks really 'chunky and clunky'. There is something that is just...'off'...about it.

It may have some cool build elements and new figure elements but, all in all, I am NOT impressed.

AT-ATcomparison.jpg

We really need an in-hand comparion pic of them all to really tell which is bigger/better.