Sign in to follow this  
-JD-

Review: 8129 AT-AT

AT-AT  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the set?

2. 2. How did you find the ongoing review?

gallery_101_23_281.gif

8129.jpg

Set name: AT-AT

Set Number: 8129

Pieces: 815 (according the Brickset)

Figures: 8

Price: £100 (GBP)

Theme: Star Wars

Brickset

Box:

The new boxart is pretty neat, and the LEGO action happening on the cover isn't bad either! You can see Luke grappling up to the hatch on the AT-AT (All Terain - Armoured Transporter), Rebels firing cannons, and a confused C3-P0 who has stumbled onto the battlefront. :wacko:

Note the number of pieces is not said!

boxf.jpg

This set includes 8 figures!

boxt.jpg

figs.jpg

There is also a 'Limited Edition' print on the box to entice customers, in this case it is covered by a very sticky sticker! *huh*

le.jpg

The new Solo is shown off in this set, as well as Veers' new face (as we all know the figure itself isn't new).

boxnew.jpg

The back of the box shows three new sets and the features of 8129: the cockpit, troop deployer, moving legs and moving head.

boxb.jpg

newsets.jpg

features.jpg

The box opens using the flap tearing system, IMO the worst. It tears and creases the sides! :angry:

flap.jpg

Inside....

There are 10 bags, two instruction booklets and one sticker sheet ( *oh2* )! Not that many stickers, only the ones predicted for the control panels and viewport.

bags.jpg

ins.jpg

sricker.jpg

Part 2 coming soon! Building is in progress! :sweet:

It's not looking good for the future of non-pupiled minifigs.

Eagerly anticipating Part 2!

Nice, nice....

IMO, the old Han Solo is better. I can't wait for the rest :sweet:

The box opens using the flap tearing system, IMO the worst. It tears and creases the sides! :angry:

flap.jpg

I don't like the 'flap' boxes either, but I just use a sharp knife and cut the box at the corner - cleaner than tearing the flap.

I'm waiting for the second part :classic:

Yeah, me too, I can't wait to see what this set is really like.

Get building :grin:

I can't believe this is already popping up in stores! I know it's been said before but it slipped my mind, where is this set exclusive to? I would really lovee to get my hands on one because I still don't have an AT-AT. Oh, and thanks for reviewing this!

I do not know why Lego does not include Wes Janson minifigure.

Probably because I've never heard of him before, and that says a lot... :hmpf:

I'm looking forward to the rest of the review! If I could have the motorized version with this sets figures and accessories, I would buy it in a heartbeat... :sceptic:

Probably because I've never heard of him before, and that says a lot... :hmpf:

I'm looking forward to the rest of the review! If I could have the motorized version with this sets figures and accessories, I would buy it in a heartbeat... :sceptic:

Is Wedge Antilles' gunner during the Battle of Hoth, they shot down one of the AT-AT, he plays an important role during the battle.

I do not know if you remember "Good shot Janson"

Good review so far. Get building, I cannot wait for the rest. :thumbup:

I remember who Janson is now-

Day9ianliston.jpg

Part 2 ~ The Build

Parts:

parts.jpg

That looks more than 810 pieces. :look:

Figures:

figsf.jpg

han_luke.jpg

Pretty standard all round, except for Han and Luke with new prints.

He are some comparisons between new (left) and old (right):

imp_o.n.jpg

han_o.n.jpg

I like Han's new torso, but his face doesn't suit the character. A mix of the new torso and old face and legs will do the trick!

Luke has an improved helmet, with definitive lines around the patterns making them more visable. There is noticably more red colouring too.

helmet_o.n.jpg

luke_o.n.jpg

I'm happy to see these hinges return to the AT-AT!

hinges.jpg

Some Build Stages:

st1.jpg

st2.jpg

st3.jpg

st4.jpg

st5.jpg

st6.jpg

st7.jpg

st8.jpg

st9.jpg

st10.jpg

st11.jpg

I love the greebles on the back section! There are some clever techniques included along the whole build.

Points of Interest:

The cockpit is MODable to fit two pilots IMO, so I'll give it a try later.

cockpit.jpg

The control station/troop deployer can also be changed to fit more Snowtroopers.

control_station.jpg

I don't understand why the controls are not in the cockpit. How is the pilot supposed to drive?! :wacko:

The station slides into position quite nicely.

posittion.jpg

Luke with his whip grapple.

grapple_whip.jpg

The neck is just some round plates stuck to one another.

neck.jpg

Turret:

Nifty little addition here with simple but effective techniques.

turret.jpg

Finished Model:

complete.jpg

side_views.jpg

chaos.jpg

Spares:

spares.jpg

Conclusion:

The set is great, but is let down by the massive price tag. The model is quite simple to make, up to the legs which need more concentration. The features are good too but I can't help thinking it needs a little bit more of them, and a more accurate representation of an interior.

Build: 8/10

Parts: 9/10

Figures: 8/10

Price: 6/10

Playability: 9/10

Overall: 40/50 (80%)

Thanks for reading! :classic:

Great review. Since i do not have an AT-AT yet I guess this is my chance.

But, I would like to know what tue differences are between all the released walkers. Can someone make a comparison between the 3 AT-ATs?

Awesome review!

Sure the AT-AT isn't that movie-accurate but all in all it's a good looking set with a nice amount of minifigs.

Still, I think I don't want to buy this set in the near future since there are a few other expensive I have in mind to get.

Really great review, you went the extra mile with all the little photos - much appreciated.

I was lukewarm on this kit, but you've shown its actually a pretty good looking kit. The mini figures look great, that Han torso is great, and Luke's helmet has been improved out of site. As you say the price is a drag, and I'm nit sure what it'll be in Aussie dollars, but I'm assuming I won't be getting much back from $300.

Thanks again for the great review.

Anyone else think the plate on the AT-AT's hump is a little....out of place? Seems to wide or thick or something...

But good review. Any chance of a comparison with previous versions? Also, since the price is £90 of S@H, would you say it's worth that?

Looks to be more accurate than the motorized version anyway, doesn't it?

Edited by -Tilius-

COOL review - COOL set - price tag....hey it's TRU isn't it ? :wink:

New torso's and headgear especially Luke's helmet are fantastic !

Looks strong enough to me......okay on shoppinglist......but dam it TRU have NO layby ! :angry:

Better have heaps of cash for their exclusives in the next two months.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Well the set looks nice, though it feels lighter on for parts than the Motorized version. The motorized version seems to have more greebling in the form of cheese slopes etc than this new version, it looks like they have sacrificed the number of parts to try and keep the price down. You certainly do get 3 more figures than the motorized version though, and I for one really like the new "pupil" eyes. Han looks all grown up.

As for the review itself, Jamie you have done a great job of presenting all the quirks and tidbits of this set quite well. The photography is nicely done as well.

So for me it appears more money is being spent on figs and cutting back on parts for the set itself. Still divided on whether to get this set or not :sceptic:

This set is okay, considering it's not much better than any of the other AT-ATs. I also don't like the new faces of Luke and Han, but the torsos and helmet are much better.

Thanks a bundle for this review! :wub:

I'm sure if I owned the original AT-AT released in 2003 I might not be so kind towards this new set. However, not being the owner of any of the AT-ATs released thus far, I quite like this new one and definitely plan on picking it up.

I like the minifigures included in the set. They are nicely details and look pretty great in my opinion. I know there have been a lot of people questioning the inclusion of C3PO, and though he doesn't necessarily fit in with this set by itself, he does help work towards completing the collection of characters who were on Hoth.

The new AT-AT looks similar to the original, but maybe around 15% smaller (which would also correspond to the pieces count differences). It looks a bit skinny, and I miss the printed parts (especially at the leg joints), but otherwise I am satisfied with the design. The model is still instantly recognizable, and of course a must have in any Star Wars collection.

Congrats on the acquisition of the set, and the wonderful review, jammiedodger. I am know fully aware of what the set has to offer and can't wait to get my own copy!

Amazed more people don't own the other AT AT's. Got 4 in total and I'm toting with buying another of these

This set is much smaller and seems to be half the weight of the 2003 AT AT. For playabilty this is the best AT AT yet - u can actually pick it up! Yey!

thank you or this awesome review! I love Luke's new helmet, it is definitely a huge improvement when comparing to the previous versions; so much details being added.