Sign in to follow this  
Sting

Possibly a dumb question?

Are we 100% sure Lego is going to STICK with the new Grey and new Brown? This is coming from a guy who has only a small (probably a standard drawer-size) full of Old grey and maybe 2 handfulls of old Brown...

I want to make sure before I start investing in New-Grey/New-Brown heavy sets if I am going to pretty safe in the future and not suffer a very annoying colour switch.... I know nothings for sure... but I know some people have good insight into this.

Yes, all new sets will have the new colours. Only exceptions are the old colour parts park from S@H and possibly legends (but I am not too sure). If you mean will they change again? I would say no, it probably cost them a lot to switch and what with the negative reaction from Afol communtiy at least. Maybe in 20-30 years when the colours look too dull they might change again.

Jon.

Yes, all new sets will have the new colours. Only exceptions are the old colour parts park from S@H and possibly legends (but I am not too sure).

Jon.

No. I know all new sets will have the new colors. I know this. i want to know if Lego is planning on changing any of these, or other colors. Like how sure are we that lego won't just switch the greys to another grey in 5 years... Like I said... are any other colors going to change and more importantly how permanent do we expect these color changes to last? I dont want to go out and get lots of Bley and than be told that an even newer grey is coming in!

Do you guys think lego will change any other colors?

- EDIT - oops. Didnt let you finish your post! 20-30 years is a fair timeline I guess LOL.

There is no way of being certain that LEGO will never change any of its colours again. Of course, when they changed grey to bley, there was quite an outrcry, so I suspect it may not happen again. That being said, there is no reason to actively purchase old grey if you don't already have a large collection. Its more expensive, and won't be very easy to come by in the future.

Remember, nobody knew that LEGO was going to change its colours. It was a running change, and many of the earliest sets to feature bley had a mixture of grey/bley. Many people incorrectly assumed that it was a quality control issue, but LEGO addressed the issue, informing fans that the change was permanent. Still, there was a strong backlash, so I don't think we'll be seeing a repeat of this incident.

So yes, bley is the new grey! If your looking to stock up, I suggest the Graveyard Duel. Doller per brick, this set is as good (if not better) than most of the creator line, and easily one of the best sets for amassing a great assortment of bley bricks.

Later.

In the last month I have been increasingly frustrated by the brown change. The old chocolate brown was vastly superior to the new dark reddish brown. I think in the long run that will bother me as much as the bley problem does.

But, regardless, it does seem that the new colors are here to stay.

So yes, bley is the new grey! If your looking to stock up, I suggest the Graveyard Duel. Doller per brick, this set is as good (if not better) than most of the creator line, and easily one of the best sets for amassing a great assortment of bley bricks.

Later.

I am definately going to pick up one or two of these... and I love the big angel of death above Tom Riddle's grave!

Any other suggestions?

GYLMan - I think I may agree with you. But because I have so little OLDbrown it would be foolish of me to start stock piling it... I guess I'll just have to go for the new stuff - VIKING FORTRESS, HERE I COME!

i never understood why people were so hang up on this old grey - new grey change. Sure, you're used to the old color, but really, that must be about it. There are truckloads of old grey on the second hand market.

Are we 100% sure Lego is going to STICK with the new Grey and new Brown?

Lego's response to the heavy criticism of the bley change was to announce a new permanent colour scheme (see Lugnet for details). This was aimed to help people in your position. For me (as one of the complainers) it was just annoying: "I don't like the new colour" - "OK we'll make it permanent"?!

i never understood why people were so hang up on this old grey - new grey change. Sure, you're used to the old color, but really, that must be about it.

For my personal style of MOC (Castle with heavy influence of scenery) the bley simply looks terrible. I therefore don't want any which in turn makes all new sets less desirable.It is frustrating...

God Bless,

Nathan

i never understood why people were so hang up on this old grey - new grey change. Sure, you're used to the old color, but really, that must be about it. There are truckloads of old grey on the second hand market.

Won't this only go up in cost as the people with ridiculously large collections of Oldgrey start freaking out and buying large amounts of oldgrey to keep their collection at a mighty size?

But than again, people like me may consider selling their old grey once more pieces are released in Bley (particularily castle walls and weapons).

I actually like Bley quite a bit... although it looks kinda bad with green... maybe I just have to get used to it...

Won't this only go up in cost as the people with ridiculously large collections of Oldgrey start freaking out and buying large amounts of oldgrey to keep their collection at a mighty size?

But than again, people like me may consider selling their old grey once more pieces are released in Bley (particularily castle walls and weapons).

I actually like Bley quite a bit... although it looks kinda bad with green... maybe I just have to get used to it...

old grey has been in production for so many years and the number of old grey fans sticking to old grey isn't that high i think, so i don't expect an increase in price, i think most people will simply accept reality and move on... in the end bl shopowners will even have to dump their old grey because nobody is interested in it anymore

I agree that old greys were great (and therefore better) for buildings and castles. The new greys are way too bluish for that (but are better for space creations).

Now that TLC decided that colour change, they will not re change it for a very very long time.

Like everything, we just need to adjust ourselves to these decisions the best way we can, and BL can help us fill our needs hehe !!

*yoda*

When new grey will start to yellow, it will probably end up in new old grey X-D

old grey has been in production for so many years and the number of old grey fans sticking to old grey isn't that high i think, so i don't expect an increase in price, i think most people will simply accept reality and move on... in the end bl shopowners will even have to dump their old grey because nobody is interested in it anymore

I wish!

Unfortunately, for alot of vetran AFOLs, old grey is the only grey! In fact, its becoming increasingly difficult to acquire large quantities of old grey bricks on the secondary market. Sure, oddly shaped and rarely-used elements are available in abundance, however basic building blocks are becoming harder to come by, and their prices have risen accordingly. Stores that have large quantities of basic grey (1 x1, 1 x 2 etc.) tend to sell at a premium, making it an expensive and difficult item to acquire.

Yes, there isn't alot of bley on the secondary market right now. This is simply because its new. As time passes, bley will be far easier to come by. The prices are generally better, and this trend will only continue as classic grey becomes increasingly difficult to find.

The second problem with bley for old-timers is the simple fact that no new bricks will be available in classic grey. This means that any new brick post 2004 is incompatable with their collection. Newer bricks like the slope bricks featured in many of the Racers sets (50950.png, 464.png, and 41749.png) will never be available in old grey. This problem doesn't stop there of course. For newer builders, older bricks that are no longer produced won't be available in the newer colours. In short, the colour change marks the end of an era for many builders. Sets with large quantities of new grey are for the most part, worthless to those builders who have too much invested in their existing collections.

As to the number of old grey fans. That is more often than not determined by the size of one's collection. Builders such as myself or Norro who have vast collections of old or classic grey would have a far harder time converting to the new stuff. Simply put, we have too much invested in our current collections. Starting fresh would be too prohibitive. I've amassed my collection steadily for over twenty years, so starting over really isn't an option. Sure, this doesn't affect kids, or AFOLs with paltry collections of the "old stuff", but it does affect the rest of us. As Bricklink caters primarily to older adult fans, I don't think that many Bricklink stores will be "dumping" their remaining stock of old grey any time soon.

So if the change hasn't been a bid deal for you, that's great! I'm glad that it hasn't hindered your enjoyment of the hobby. Still, I would ask you to appreciate that not everyone feels that way. For some of us, this is, and always will be a big deal. And no, that doesn't mean we are all going to make a fuss and abandon the hobby we so enjoy. It simply means that new grey isn't a viable option for everyone.

Later.

Seriously, I don't understand why we are still having that discussion. There is nothing we can do about it and only two ways to act: go on with it or keep whining forever !!

*yoda*

Seriously, I don't understand why we are still having that discussion. There is nothing we can do about it and only two ways to act: go on with it or keep whining forever !!

*yoda*

Sorry, I don't believe that I'm whining. I'm simply stating what the situation is for many fans with larger collections. And it is by no means a dead issue when it comes to the secondary market. Just because LEGO has discontinued classic grey doesn't mean that there aren't continuing reprocussions for some fans. As I have said countless times, I don't expect old grey to return; EVER! That doesn't mean that I can't express my feelings on some of the issues that have arisen as a result of this change.

And more to the point, if these discussions are so irrelevant to you, why bother participating? I don't mean any offense, but there are people who still feel the need to discuss this matter. Simply talking about something doesn't automatically constitute whinning. You may be growing tired of the continued colour change discussion, but I am equally tired of being told that it doesn't matter, or that I "can't accept reality" and move on. We are all entitled to our opinions *vader* .

Later.

blueandwhite brings up lots of good points. I always thought that the colour change just meant "well, its just a hording battle now for the old grey". i never thought that any new pieces that would look really good for castles will never be available in classicgrey.

I have to disagree with the fact some pieces will never be made for new Bley. I think almost every piece will eventually be made for Bley, except for some minifigures, some weapons(i dont know if we'll see the return of old swords) and some very specialized pieces.

We are already seeing the return of old helmets in new grey (the grilled helms are making a return), and in one of the new KK sets it has some of the classic 1/4 Turret wall pieces. And as for older pieces, if lego ever continues making Lego Legends, this means even more pieces will be brought into new grey.

I have no problem with this being discussed. I like hearing the views of all of this. I would say it isn't whining it is merely discussing. Most of the points the classicgrey defenders are using are very true and they even say lego was probably better off doing the color change (something to do with the color palette they were using?).

blueandwhite brings up lots of good points. I always thought that the colour change just meant "well, its just a hording battle now for the old grey". i never thought that any new pieces that would look really good for castles will never be available in classicgrey.

I have to disagree with the fact some pieces will never be made for new Bley. I think almost every piece will eventually be made for Bley, except for some minifigures, some weapons(i dont know if we'll see the return of old swords) and some very specialized pieces.

We are already seeing the return of old helmets in new grey (the grilled helms are making a return), and in one of the new KK sets it has some of the classic 1/4 Turret wall pieces. And as for older pieces, if lego ever continues making Lego Legends, this means even more pieces will be brought into new grey.

I have no problem with this being discussed. I like hearing the views of all of this. I would say it isn't whining it is merely discussing. Most of the points the classicgrey defenders are using are very true and they even say lego was probably better off doing the color change (something to do with the color palette they were using?).

Thanks for your support Sting :-) .

Unfortunately, there is nothing to guarantee that older bricks will be updated or produced in new grey for a new generation of fans. I expect that alot of accessories will eventually see the change to bley, however some of the older bricks may never see such a transition. Some of the older molds may not even exist at this point in time. As your a castle and pirate fan, it may dishearten you to learn that this 4444.png fine brick has yet to make the transition to the new colours. Now, it is true that some parts will undoubtedly make such a transition, but with new wall pieces and other elements becoming common place, it is equally possible that a number of great bricks will never be produced in the new colours.

And yes, another Legends set would do much to alleviate this problem for castle fans, but what about Space, or Train fans? If anything, these themes have more specialized elements that may not make the transition. It is more than a bit troubling. I sincerely hope that LEGO looks back at its set archive and considers converting some of the older elements into bley for new fans. Recently, Classic-Castle had a poll on the production of Legends in Bley. Initially I was against it, as I would prefer something new, but looking at the number of great bricks that may be lost, I'm having second thoughts on the subject.

Oh, the Grill Helmet is actually in pearl grey, not bley. It still looks cool though!

Later.

Thanks for your support Sting :-) .

Unfortunately, there is nothing to guarantee that older bricks will be updated or produced in new grey for a new generation of fans. I expect that alot of accessories will eventually see the change to bley, however some of the older bricks may never see such a transition. Some of the older molds may not even exist at this point in time. As your a castle and pirate fan, it may dishearten you to learn that this 4444.png fine brick has yet to make the transition to the new colours. Now, it is true that some parts will undoubtedly make such a transition, but with new wall pieces and other elements becoming common place, it is equally possible that a number of great bricks will never be produced in the new colours.

And yes, another Legends set would do much to alleviate this problem for castle fans, but what about Space, or Train fans? If anything, these themes have more specialized elements that may not make the transition. It is more than a bit troubling. I sincerely hope that LEGO looks back at its set archive and considers converting some of the older elements into bley for new fans. Recently, Classic-Castle had a poll on the production of Legends in Bley. Initially I was against it, as I would prefer something new, but looking at the number of great bricks that may be lost, I'm having second thoughts on the subject.

Oh, the Grill Helmet is actually in pearl grey, not bley. It still looks cool though!

Later.

Good call. On the issue of that awesome part, yes I know it has yet to be used. I never thought of the fact that lego has been using their new "one wall piece" (the one with the black lattice window thing) alot... I would hope that that ugly piece doesnt replace the old one... but it may very well be true.

I guess I am being a one track mind here and just thinking about Pirate and Castle... I never thought about all the other themes that are missing pieces in the old colours...

Like you said. All their is to do is hope that Lego will see how good alot of their old parts are and just make them in the new colors. It would save them $ (less molds)... but it may also risk them saying "well we only need one large wall piece... lets just use the new one!" (which means the piece you had pictured will not be used again).

This is why I hope for more lego legends released in Bley. They did it with the airport and it has all of the same pieces... which means reproducing some in the new color. I think Lego Legends in Bley is a good idea... because the only other thing lego will do is just not release anymore period. Its better to have them released in bley than not released at all. Even if you are someone who will never use Bley... you will get all the good NON-BLEY parts out of these sets (although with castle the colour grey was used quite frequently).

All we can do is hope.