Sign in to follow this  
KotZ

Color scheme for ships?

I know that yellow and black are on the famous, HMS Victory, black and white are always for Americans, but what goes for France, and other British ships? I can't decide on a color scheme.

France is usually black with red stripes, but there were also a lot with yellow and black.

These were the most usual colours for the navy, on other ships, it was mostly the captain's taste of colours.

Most british ships were black with yellow just like the Victory.

And here is some more information:http://my.erinet.com/~bp/pt_napnv.html

Hope that helps!

Not to be a buzzkill, but there was no standard for most ships. In European navies it usually had to do with what the Admiral or Captain preferred. The American Navy was perhaps the most uniform, but only during downtime where many of the vessels not originally designed for naval service were discontinued. The link provided lists different color schemes, but has no real historical basis. Remember, most ships by the Napoleonics had copper bottoms, tarred hulls (black in color) and the decks were often whitewashed or stained to preserve them. So most ships would look black and white. It would be ridiculously expensive to paint a ship green as that link said Russia did. Perhaps a few ships were painted green, but for the most part I am sure they were black in appearance because of the pitch used.

ok, I think I get it then. The stripes are where the ports are, correct?

That's correct, although there were also other ways to paint ships in those colours. But that's the most usual way.

The 'crank' is a capstan and can be used for many things.

For pulling up the anchor, or for pulling up yards and other heavy stuff like goods.

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Admiral bejaune`s ship Sang Royale has the very good color selection, and also CGH`s La mort Royalewas also a very nice color, The gun ports of those were red, so check those two ship`s and hope that help`s a bit. and my favorite color scheme is old yellow and black, it wont never get old

Captain Becker

EDIT: And i forgot the CGH`s Le Requin

Edited by Captain Becker

ok, thanks for all the help guys! I'm probably going yellow and black, or white and black with red gunports.... I guess this means it's time to flip a coin... :pir-tongue:

Also, tan across the gunports would probably be most accurate for smaller naval vessels such as brigs. I know tan is in short supply though... However, that would probably be the most realistic. I once did a somewhat replica of the US Brig Niagara with tan and black, it looked pretty spiffy (color wise, my MOCing abilities are come and go...) I wish I still had the pictures.