Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Favorite Egyptian Desert Set

What's your favorite Desert Adventure set?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Desert Adventure set?

• 1094/5900 Johny Thunder
    • 1182/3020 Adventure Raft
    • 1183/3021 Mummy and Cart
    • 2879/5909/5948 Desert Expedition
    • 3722/5919 Treasure Tomb
    • 5918 Scorpion Tracker
    • 5928 Bi-Wing Baron
    • 5938 Oasis Ambush
    • 5958 Mummy's Tomb
    • 5978 Sphinx's Secret Surprise
    • 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins
    • Other Not Listed
    • I didn't like this theme!

After my last poll re. favorite adventure sub-theme, (Favorite Adventure Subtheme) it appears that most people like Egyptian Desert the best.

How about voting for your favorite set? Please consider all factors when choosing your favorite (design, piece selection, playability, value, other). Note that set names and numbers may be different in your country. The very small sets and special promotional sets are not included in this poll.

egyptdesertcollection4.jpg

i voted for oasis ambus 5938... this is my favorite medium/small set LEGO ever produced. their is plenty of conflict with this little set... and its eye appeal is compelling. its also very true to egyptian monument architecture, with the anubis dog-god on top of a chamber... unlike the pharoah's forbbiden ruins (very historically incorrect.) the forbiden ruins is probaly my least favorite set for this reason... but i have to admit, that truck and air baloon in the set are ingenious !!!

the oasis also makes a great add on monument to another larger structure.

the sphinx comes in a close second. being a well designed play set with many facits... but i just have to vote for the underdog in this situation, 5938.

oh, plus it is not a vehicle, all the other small sets are vechicles !!!

- brick miner

Interesting choice BM. I like this little set as well, esp. the Anubis treasure chest statue. I think just the design of the top portion adds a point to the set. I also like the way pulling the scorpion spear causes the top to lift open. It is a great little set with a lot of value.

I had to go with the Sphinx's Secret Surprise. I may do a pic review of this set down the road, but I like the overall look of this medium-sized set.

It has some great features including:

- The sphinx with lever that causes the Mummy and front opening to slide off

- The Egyptian monoliths with hieroglyphic pieces (set includes 3)- + the hidden area under the tallest one

- The sarcophagus (although black without design)

- The Mummy! Best detailed fig of the Egyptian sets

- A total of seven figs (including the skeleton), three with pith helmets.

- A tall palm (taller than that of set 5938)

- An excellent baseplate with steps, brick designs, two secret sections, and slope

- A pretty good jeep

- An OK statue of Anubis (although I still like the one in set 5938 with treasure chest

- The camp fire

- A lot of accessories including a very neat sextant with magnifying glass tool to read maps

- Four map tiles - all different

I don't care for the tent.

For the above reasons, I vote for 5978. Brickset Link 5978

I voted for "5988 - Pharoh's forbidden ruins". It was very hard to decide *wacko* . I like a lot of these sets (though I do not have one of them). They look very nice.

The Sphinx's Secret Surprise looks cool too. The smaller sets with the Tracker and the Bi-Wing Baron are nice too!

And now I know where you got the hieroglyphic pieces for your great MOC! ;-)

Desert Expedition. I was unfortunate to be going through a mild dark ages during this era, but I still knew it had potential... as I made sure I got a Scorpion Tracker (great little jeep for such a low price!), Bi-Wing Baron (one of the best biplanes), and an Oasis Ambush (very cool little set). But one set I never got my hands that I wanted (I remember seeing it in stores and wanting it but rather getting something else) was the Desert Expedition. The jeep was cool but the PLANE. That Sopwith Camel kind of plane made the set. I am glad to say I have almost every plane for the Adventurers, sometimes 2, but that plane I still don't have. I would love it. If anyone wants to talk about selling that set let me know!!

I love all the vehicles with it... it is a whole expedition, with good guys and bad guys, and some neat items. Although it has no buildigns, I rather hated the buildings of the Egyptian Theme (most were pretty crappy), but it has vehicles, and I love Vehicles.

I'd like to put in the truck in Pharohs Forbidden Ruins is pretty cool but it definately needs a better roof... if I recall it is kind of wierd how it closes at the top.

I love all the vehicles with it... it is a whole expedition, with good guys and bad guys, and some neat items. Although it has no buildigns, I rather hated the buildings of the Egyptian Theme (most were pretty crappy), but it has vehicles, and I love Vehicles.

Definately needed some buildings: a palace perhaps, armory, tent market, or hotel to name a few.

I think the vehicles were pretty good. I don't have 5988 (the largest set), which I never saw in the stores during the year it was released (at least I don't remember). I love the truck in the set though and even tried building a few times.

Having no experience whatsoever with Adventurers sets makes me feel as thought I'm not really elligble for partaking this poll as I cannot give an accurate opinion as I'm forced to formulate one based on pictures. Pictures unfortunately lack depth and I cannot move things around and explore the features so I am denied of the visceral experience.

But I'm still going to partake in this pole regardless! So my opinion is based of what I see in the pictures on brickset.com... My attention is drawn mostly towards 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins probably because its the most substantial structure wheras the other sets, such as 5978 Sphinx Secret Surprise seems to have a lot of isolated elements while the main structure isn't very invovled.

Ok, I think I'll stop myself there as this isn't a set review! That's enough to explain my initial reason for voting for this set!

Definately needed some buildings: a palace perhaps, armory, tent market, or hotel to name a few.

I think the vehicles were pretty good. I don't have 5988 (the largest set), which I never saw in the stores during the year it was released (at least I don't remember). I love the truck in the set though and even tried building a few times.

Now Brickster if they had made a 1920's/1930's Egyptian Town with those buildings (A hotel in particular seems incredibly cool) that would have DEFINATELY made the buildings better. I just think the Pharoahs Temple was kind of dumb for an Egyptian set... the Sphynx was pretty cool... but the rest seemed just TOO open to be tombs...

I would love a 1930's Egyptian Townbuilding... that would be incredible!

I went with 5958 Mummy's Tomb. It was the first adventurers set I got and remains a fav. Good pieces, very playable, a self contained story, and a good price point. The Oasis Ambush would probably come in 2nd. I also would really like (I don't have) the little raft set, I seem to be a sucker for raft sets...

God Bless,

Nathan

The surprize all the way ! Because it has a tent, which is really practical *sweet* It also contains everything needed for a relatively small price, even including the pharao mummy !

Definitly a must have !

Bi-Wing Baron. I think that might've been the first Lego set I bought with my own money. I love the simple yet classy look if it. Small, but great *wub*

I chose Mummy's Tomb. Some because of the reasons Norro listed, and some because it's the only one I have besides the Scorpion Tracker.

Very good distribution of votes, but it appears that 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins, largest of the collection, is among the top favorite; followed closely by Sphinx's Secret Surprise (which I voted for). I just wish I had 5988. The set is quite costly on Ebay.