crossmr

Militiary Jeep - Oxford Review

Set name: Nothing specific, called "Jeep" NCM 8000

Price: 6300W ($5.26 USD)

Pieces: not many

Size: 11 cm long, 8 cm wide, 5.5 cm tall (not including antenna)

Construction time: I think around 15 minutes

I'm mainly doing this for completions sake. sigmeister already touched on this as this generic jeep is present in several sets. Most of the military sets include one being tossed in. It's the first oxford set I built and I don't have any during pictures or picture of all the loose pieces. I'll comment on it though.

I found this jeep to be reasonably good quality. It felt solid, and impressed me enough to go out and buy the tank. It isn't without it's deficiencies though. It is rather small. A gunner can fit, but not much else. He has to stand in the back and shoot over his buddies shoulder. It has 5 nice tires, a nice hood piece, a couple doors and a so-so windshield. The clutch of the windshield disappoints me a little. This is surprising because all the other pieces in the rest of the 3 sets I've put together seem to clutch well. There are also some wheel wells. I don't feel like they're going to fall apart. The rest of the jeep feels very solid. It comes with standard military accessory sprues which have a ton of guns and things on them. Playability isn't overly great with this. It's a jeep with 1 guy. It rolls around, but mixed in with other sets it's a good way to get some extra guns and a backpack. My tank set didn't come with a backpack but this little jeep did. The soldier also has a snarly face which seems a little better than the 3 happy goofballs that came with the tank. He's probably snarling because his sniper is giggling like an idiot while he holds a high powered rifle over his shoulder.

There is an alternate set design on the back of the box. Looks like a kind of armoury/workshop couple of pieces.

Conclusion

Minifig - 9/10 good accessories, backpack and non-grinning soldier. On a fig per $ basis, the tank with 4 for $9 is a better deal

Parts - 7/10 not many parts for the price, but they all do their job. Just wish the windshield had better clutch

Playability - 6/10 not much going on here on it's own. As part of a bigger set it would score higher. Wheels do roll nice though.

Design - 8/10 Sigmeister mentioned he'd like to see a hard top on it. I don't know if I want that, but more space would be good. Maybe 2 front seats. Hinges on the hood might have been cool too and even a couple parts to look like an engine inside.

Price - 8/10 put against the tank on a value per $ basis it doesn't do well. If you need some weapons and things cheap, it's not bad.

Total - 38/50 Not a terrible set, but not the greatest military set either. If you need to have 1 military set, this isn't it. If you need some quick weapons, or wheels or something like that, it might be good for you. If you need another jeep for some reason to round out an attack force it's good for that too.

Only 1 minifigure, I just put another guy in there for comparison. I tossed in a bonus Giant police bot vs jeep shot

imgp8827.jpg

imgp8826.jpg

imgp8825.jpg

imgp8823.jpg

imgp8822z.jpg

imgp8821a.jpg

imgp8820.jpg

imgp8819.jpg

imgp8818.jpg

imgp8817.jpg

imgp8828g.jpg

imgp8816.jpg

Thats pretty cool!

Sometimes I am surprised by the coolness of some clone brands!

I'd never buy one though :sadnew:

Thats pretty cool!

Sometimes I am surprised by the coolness of some clone brands!

I'd never buy one though :sadnew:

In my mind Oxford is more of a legitimate competitor to Lego than the other brands. They aren't a bootleg brand like Enlighten, and their quality is far better than than other brands like Best-lock.

While they obviously cloned the Lego dimensions they're really out there in terms of quality and originality. Disney has seen fit to give them a license for some sets which in my mind makes them much more legit.

I think I prefer Cobi's jeep (but it is a lisenced one) Cobi being the best Euroopean challanger to Lego.

Thank's for the review, it's a pity the figures aren't as compatible, but the patent/copyright on minifigs is something Lego does has a claim on.

I dislike the term Clone Brand, but it is a lot better than bootleg or ripoff!

The jeep is nice, but the weapons are really cool.

I mentioned this in the tank review and forgot to mention it here. I wish the guns were a little smaller. They're a bit oversized. I think Brickarms + oxford would be a fantastic combination.