Set name: Mark SURGE

Set Number: 7169

Price: 7.99$, 9,99 Euro

Pieces: 19

Year of release: 2010

The Canister

Front

4777633214_d7bdfa9958.jpg

Shows our Hero standing in a neat pose, as well as his name written in a scribbly style, similar to the one that the Piraka had. A Bionicle logo is present on there as well,to show that this uses the same system and such as Bionicle.

Side

4777272275_18fb8d7bf9.jpg

Shows a silhouttte image of him, as well as his name. The other side doesnt have any of this on it.

Back

4777272463_8a4264313f.jpg

Shows him facing off against Corroder. Also, his head is shown to give a scale chart.

Lid

4777906966_dcfacebded.jpg

Very similar to the star's lids.

Contents

Parts

4777909680_40f0ecf746.jpg

Look at them all! Lets inspect them more closely.

Old Parts

4777907238_c3d4237509.jpg

Yes, only 2 old parts! Well 3 if you count the other hand. The black socket pieces are not shown here because they are modified to not break. A slight visual chance near the socket is all really, but they are super tight and hold up very well.

Feet

4777275687_b9fe96175a.jpg

The new feet aren't bad, they have thrusters on the bottom. Only thing I find strange is the large ark in the center of them.

Leg armor

4777907588_e5e918e418.jpg

The Lego armor. Really nice and detailed,and they give the figure a look that is very different than Bionicle.

Torso Bits

4777910092_c8749661a3.jpg

A new torso and chest armor. The new torso is very MOCable, as it has plenty of connection points.

Weapons and Core

4777273153_575c0fee44.jpg

The weapons are nice looing electro pieces,that can be held seperatly or together in his hand to cover it completely. He can also use them like a staff,so they are quite versital. Also, his HERO Core is a trans yellow, which I find odd because his weapon and glatorian head are Neon Green.

Mask

4777907712_23f516f7c1.jpg

I like the mask a lot more than I thought I would, its actually possible to pull it off as being sinister.

Limbs

4777276073_a60f0aec11.jpg

4777276255_7ae485c4d3.jpg

The limbs are very nice in comparison to our normal 90 degree av-toran limbs. Much easier to pose them. They also have some more useful connection points along the sides.

Buliding

Start

4777273697_cc4e6511a2.jpg

Oh sweet Mata Nui, he's naked AND headless!

Adding armor

4777908128_a0198d2376.jpg

Starting to bulk up.

Finished

4777274051_fa2bc9420e.jpg

Finished Set

Poses

4777908468_1143b224bb.jpg

4777908648_e1c9c7d9c1.jpg

4777275285_f86fd707d9.jpg

Very flexible design and he can show some more natural looking posed than the Bionicle figures could.

Close Up

4777908900_08226bf0e5.jpg

Although it is slightly asymetrical, it looks far better than, say, the Mahri masks.

Bonus Images

Who will win?

4777909116_c7d75832fe.jpg

This also shows as a quick size comparison between your standard Agori build figure.

Pwned

4777909292_6c1fa3bfdd.jpg

Overall, this figure is a great step forwards for a Bioncile replacement line. He is very nice visually, and his articulation and mass amount of new pieces make it worth any Bionicle fan to give these guys a try. Personally I would recommend picking up a Rookie team member as opposed to an Alpha team member for your first set,as these guys don't have the horrid weapon arms.

Colors scheme- 9/10 (The trans yellow hero core looks very out of place on him.)

Parts- 9/10 (I still knock one off for him having only 19 parts, but the amount of new ones really makes up for it)

Design- 10/10 (Fantastic Looking)

Articulation- 8/10 (A lack of knees and elbows is still a major issue, especially since we saw so many of the limbs bent in the images of these guys.

Quality- 9/10 (The silver is still peraly, which I dislike.)

Overall: 45/50 Excellent

As always, questions,comments, and pic requests welcome!

Edited by 3D Brickthing
Indexed

I wouldn't think the alpha team is ever worth buying considering how the much more superior rookies are available at the same cost.

The leg armor actually is one of the parts that remind me the most of bionicle as it looks like a combination of the glatorian leg decorations and the metru small armor pieces.

It does look much better than any impulse set we've seen in bionicle so far. Though the weapon piece design really has to go, it should be different parts for different colors, really.

Very flexible design and he can show some more natural looking posed than the Bionicle figures could.
You may want to change "Bionicle figures" with Bionicle av-matoran/agori/impulse sets. Edited by vexorian

Thanks for the great review. I was going o order him but Bulk took my preference. I am off to TRU tommorow. I'll get him then.

Thanks for the great review, VBBN.

Very in depth, especially given the size of the subject matter, and I appreciate all the close ups of the new pieces they're really going to help my MOCS until I get my own sets.

I've heard the silver being used in these sets is a new shade, but looking at it it looks quite a bit different to all the other shades of silver we've had in Bionicle. I've honestly lost count really. Lets hope this stays permanent, though it doesn't look all too metallic too me, which is a shame.

Will/Rocketbilly

You may want to change "Bionicle figures" with Bionicle av-matoran/agori/impulse sets.

I am implying that statement to all Bionicle figures actually. Like the ankles on this guy look so much more natural than any ankle of any Bionicle set.

Hmm... I'm liking those weapons. Am I missing something or did you forget to put pics of the different weapon configurations you were talking about?

Thanks for sharing this great review! :classic:

I too would like to see those alternate weapon configurations. On the weapons, is all of the electric softer plastic, or does it become harder plastic where the silver is creeping onto the electric? This is one of my favourite Hero Factory pieces, and I hope we get to see it used again because of it's unused second attachment point. Too many good BIONICLE pieces have been used only once in previous sets.

Also, do the silver limbs look good with the bright blue armour? I imagine Surge would be quite a lot brighter than the other Heroes (aside from Bulk). :sceptic:

I just realised you could make a completely silver hero apart from the Glatorian head. Add Surges limbs in place of Bulks black ones, and the silver hero core from the drop ship pilot.

That would be disgusting though.....:laugh:

Is the Hero Core / Glatorian Head difference noticable?

Looks good, I think this will be the first Hero I pick up.

But how is the quality of the silver limbs? Previously, in Fenrakk and the Kal, they've been bad.

Hmm... I'm liking those weapons. Am I missing something or did you forget to put pics of the different weapon configurations you were talking about?

I will get pictures of them. :]

Thanks for sharing this great review! :classic:

I too would like to see those alternate weapon configurations. On the weapons, is all of the electric softer plastic, or does it become harder plastic where the silver is creeping onto the electric? This is one of my favourite Hero Factory pieces, and I hope we get to see it used again because of it's unused second attachment point. Too many good BIONICLE pieces have been used only once in previous sets.

Also, do the silver limbs look good with the bright blue armour? I imagine Surge would be quite a lot brighter than the other Heroes (aside from Bulk). :sceptic:

Well its interesting actually. The silver part of the plastic of the weapons goes immediatly to the neon green, there is no color blending. Their is a bit of gray infused inside of the neon in it near the silver part though, to give it a more relistic look. The material of the silver part is the softness of a metru mask, and the neon green part is about the softness of say, the blue in Tarix's weapon. Its flexible to avoid breakage, but not as soft as the Hordika's.

And yes the limbs do look quite nice. He is bright indeed, though with his electric weapons, you are drawn to them moreso.

Is the Hero Core / Glatorian Head difference noticable?

It's not a huge eyesore, but it is noticeable since his weapons are the neon green color.

Looks good, I think this will be the first Hero I pick up.

But how is the quality of the silver limbs? Previously, in Fenrakk and the Kal, they've been bad.

They are pearly silver, so they are essentially the quality of a silver Piraka torso. I have had no issues whatsoever with breakage or anything, so thats a huge plus.

Here you guys go(apologies on the secondpic,I didnt feel like draggin my studio back out.The first pic I actually took when reviewing him)

Here is the dual staff configuration. The way tht the piece is made, hit can be held sideways as shown. You could put it in any direction on the hand piece.

4778065369_e6c1027a18.jpg

And here is them connected to one hand;

4778720170_49874735e8.jpg

The black socket pieces are not shown here because they are modified to not break. A slight visual chance near the socket is all really, but they are super tight and hold up very well.

… pics?

… pics?

I'll try my best, but I'm really going to need some good light to get a decent pic of the black.

It is a very nice set, he's my fave rookie. I got him along with furno the other day and I do have to say I'm very impressed with these guys.

It seems to be a new part for this half of 2010. The fact that the Glatorian hands and heads haven't been updated makes me wonder whether those parts will be discontinued soon. The Bohrok feet on Cendox last year weren't updated because they weren't going to be used much.

They're probably either next on the list or presumed fine as-is.

Or what you said.

(LEGO seems to be going a bit nuts with the new-molds-for-old-parts thing; Anyone else notice the extra groove in the Stars' hands [to their outer knuckle]?)

(LEGO seems to be going a bit nuts with the new-molds-for-old-parts thing; Anyone else notice the extra groove in the Stars' hands [to their outer knuckle]?)

Could you describe specifically where that it? Comparing Takanuva's hands to a Vorox, they seem the same. :sceptic:

I'm glad that they are making new molds though - if they weren't trying to refine the joint we'd be stuck with more and more nice pieces that break if you try and MOC with them - I already have a canister full of 2008-onwards joints that I don't want to risk breaking.

Could you describe specifically where that it? Comparing Takanuva's hands to a Vorox, they seem the same. :sceptic:

I'm glad that they are making new molds though - if they weren't trying to refine the joint we'd be stuck with more and more nice pieces that break if you try and MOC with them - I already have a canister full of 2008-onwards joints that I don't want to risk breaking.

starshandcompare.jpg

Rahkshi to the left, Mata Nui to the right. Maybe it's a separate production runs/leftovers thing.

Also, I'm glad they're reinforcing the molds, too (I had to order five long double-joints because mine broke so much). It just seems a bit weird that they appear to be making/using mold after mold for pieces that are so similar.

Maybe I'm blind, but I stared at that photo for a really long time and I don't see any differences. :/

Maybe I'm blind, but I stared at that photo for a really long time and I don't see any differences. :/

On the Rahkshi hand, the top section of the plus axle hole is longer than the bottom section, rather than on Mata Nui's hand where they are the same.

Thanks for the photo Bfahome - it turns out that my Tahu's hands are that new version, while all my other Stars' hands are the old version. My Rahkshi has the old version unlike yours, so it must be a low priority change. I'm guessing it's because axles could get stuck in the original versions, so they were changed to have less friction. :sceptic:

Ah yes indeed, Surges hands have that extra little groove like the stars' hands do.

And although there dont seem to be any socket changes to the glatorian head or hands visually, they certainly changed something about them, for they are very strong joints and hold up well.

And although there dont seem to be any socket changes to the glatorian head or hands visually, they certainly changed something about them, for they are very strong joints and hold up well.

Yeah, the joints feel alot sturdier. Not like the Glatorian, where almost all of them have snapped in some way within the first month or so. These deffinatley feel sort of reinforced, or a slightly harder plastic.