but observing it, I believe that Blakbird may have 2 more parts from the 8041 Race Truck, since I believe he has all Technic sets, and may not have those from other themes. :tongue:

Good call. I was using Peeron as the basis for that statement. I do indeed have the log loader and the racing truck, so I guess I had a few more of those parts.

The 8043 alternate model (Tracked Loader) has been built and reviewed by Frenchman Tony_st170. He posted many pictures, provided detailed explanations, and made a video too. :cry_happy: After you hit the Lottery, maybe you can buy TWO of the new 8043 sets! :blush:

His French-language review on SeTechnic: http://www.setechnic.com/Forum/topic3291.html .

English Translation via Babelfish [NOTE: You can choose your own target native language to translate from the French]: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-res&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.setechnic.com%2FForum%2Ftopic3291.html&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

16 high-resolution photographs on Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=437787 .

8043b.jpg

Edited by dluders

Wow. That looks incredible! I really think I am going to have to buy two of these models to keep them both built up at the same time, it looks fantastic!

Thanks for the great review. If I ever had even the slightest doubt whether I should get the set, the only question now is when (and where)

Thanks for the epic review Blakbird.

Definitely worth buying. Wonder what I can do with the old 8294? :classic:

As if the PF Bulldozer from 2007 wasn't good enough, this set is truly like a real digger!

I would indeed ask my parents for this one!

Built it yesterday evening and I have to say that this set is a masterpiece. The only thing I do not like is the suspension that makes the same noise as the bulldozer one. Fortunately the treads are not falling off the small wheels as often happened on the bulldozer.

41164014.jpg

Edited by grohl

Huh, really epic review :sweet: . Very good text, a lot of pictures.

Set is so great! A lot of motors... :wub: But it Poland it will be very expensive. :hmpf_bad:

For us in the States who HAVE to wait! this is absurd! Why not make it available to all countries at the same time? But I am happy that I built my own!

8043_ebay.jpg

dscn2159.jpg

dscn2363.jpg

Edited by Fyredog

Why not make it available to all countries at the same time? But I am happy that I built my own!

Great job! The excavator looks pretty good in red. Since the 8043-1 primary model instructions have not yet been posted, did you build your copy using just photographs? If so, you're good! :classic: You may have only one of a handful of 8043 models in the USA right now; Blakbird has one but I know of no others. :sceptic:

Mine just arrived, it has to sit on my desk at work and stare at me all day now until I get home so I can build it! :)

I built this on my own using as many pictures from the internet as I could. There were many nights of frustration, but I figured out a lot of things on my own. I Really can't wait to build Lego's, but in the mean time I can turn mine on any time and excavate. Go

for the video

If mine were sitting on my desk at work - I think I would feel sick right after lunch - go home and start building!

Edited by Fyredog

Although Shop.Lego.com does not yet have the new 8043 Motorized Excavator set available for US customers ( http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8043&cn=57&d=70 ), Toys R Us (USA) has them IN STOCK now for US$199.99 with FREE SHIPPING :classic: : http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4057231 . Considering that this set is selling for GBP 139.99 in the UK ( http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8043&cn=57&d=70 ) , this is a pretty good price since the conversion rate today is GBP 139.99 = US$214.90.

For the CANADIAN AFOLs out there, Toys R Us CANADA sold them for $249.99 Canadian, but is currently "Out of Stock" :sad: : http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4029793&prodFindSrc=search .

It is highly likely that this set is going to be sold out. Since there is no assurance that Canadian AFOLs will be able to buy this set in their country in a timely manner (or at a reasonable price), I'm making this offer to Canadians only (since they have such a beautiful country which I've enjoyed visiting many times in my lifetime):

If you e-mail me at LudersDG@MSN.com or send me a Eurobricks Private Message (PM), I'll order the Lego 8043 sets for you and ship it to you via the U.S. Postal Service across the border AT COST (at NO PROFIT to me). I live in Spokane, Washington USA (about an 8 hours' drive from Vancouver, British Columbia), and there's a Post Office 1 mile from where I work. I'm an Eagle Scout, and was Scoutmaster in my son's Boy Scout troop for 3-1/2 years, so I'm not going to steer you wrong. This may be your best opportunity, Canadians, to get this set....

Product Weight: 5.7 pounds

Product Dimensions (in inches): 22.8" x 18.8" x 3.6"

P.S. I just ordered one (for myself), and with Washington State sales tax, the cost was US$216.19. Shipping to your Canadian city will be extra.

Edited by dluders

I find it odd that the Toysrus website has all of the new technic sets except the motorbike, meanwhile crowkillers posted pictures of it yesterday and claimed to have bought it at his local store. :wacko:

I just went to my nearest Brand New Toys R Us, They had 2 8043's - (well not anymore) the 8053 and the motorbike (Plenty of stock). No 8052 Container Truck.

I am Building my 8043 Now! The other remains in the box unopened for sale after these babies sell out!

SWEEEET!

dscn2540800x600.jpg

dscn2541800x600.jpg

Edited by Fyredog
Pics are too large!

I just went to my nearest Brand New Toys R Us, They had 2 8043's - (well not anymore) the 8053 and the motorbike (Plenty of stock). No 8052 Container Truck.

I am Building my 8043 Now! The other remains in the box unopened for sale after these babies sell out!

SWEEEET!

Talking about epic pictures, you just posted 2. The better looking excavator is standing on the box :classic:

Near the end of book 2 on building this model, it's an absolute monster (and a total joy to build).

Very slick stuff, the gear system is insane!!

The 'prototype' box is very similar to the real box. For example, the prototype was marked '11-16' but on the real box, it's '12-16'. A few others for ages 12-16 included the JCB Excavator & the Air-Tech Claw Rig.

I just finished building mine, its a really lovely model. It took a good number of hours to complete and the result is a stunning Technics set.

However, I do have a slight problem with mine in that the raising of the arm is very slow and the motor sounds like its struggling to lift it. I am not sure its the motor at fault because driving the left track is no problem at all for it. Does anyone else who has built this model have a problem with the lifting of the main arm? The other two arm functions are perfectly fine, but lifing is slow.

Thanks!

EDIT. It was a Linear Actuator problem, one of them was slightly further extended than the other. Strangely that caused massive problems throughout the entire stroke of the arm. Sorted now.

This really is a superb model, the design is a lovely with the crazy transmission nicely hidden from view with all the smoothing pieces, and the arm looks ace too. The cabin is a little weak in comparison but its still nice.

There were a couple of steps in the building phase which I thought could be better, they were really fiddly bits (getting the two grey gears into position at the bottom of the double-actuators on the arm. I think you need children fingers to get the gears into place easily :)

This will sit really nicely alongside my 8275 Bulldozer, even though the scales are out slightly between the two models!

One thing about it, when you are spinning the superstructure, occasionally one of the track will move slightly, does anyone else get this? It kinda twitches a little bit.I guess this is because two functions are going through the middle superstructure gearing.

Edited by tomacwhite

One thing about it, when you are spinning the superstructure, occasionally one of the track will move slightly, does anyone else get this? It kinda twitches a little bit.I guess this is because two functions are going through the middle superstructure gearing.

That's exactly what's happening. Because two functions run concentrically through the turntable, those function input axles turn 1 revolution every time the superstructure slews 1 revolution. This makes one track move more than other not because the gear ratio is different (it isn't) but because the track which uses the driving rings has a bunch of backlash before it engages. Jennifer Clark discusses this very phenomenon when describing the design of her JCB 220. She did all of the gearing in the carrier to minimize this effect.

Brilliant, that's good to know!

I also noticed that if you power the tracks different ways and then slew the superstructure (so it stays in it's current position), after a while the structure starts to move around slightly. This might be related to friction on the tracks if they aren't moving efficiently.

That's exactly what's happening. Because two functions run concentrically through the turntable, those function input axles turn 1 revolution every time the superstructure slews 1 revolution. This makes one track move more than other not because the gear ratio is different (it isn't) but because the track which uses the driving rings has a bunch of backlash before it engages. Jennifer Clark discusses this very phenomenon when describing the design of her JCB 220. She did all of the gearing in the carrier to minimize this effect.

I never did understand why Lego uses those clutch gears and driving ring in the center of the turntable for this set and the crane truck. An old style differential carrier with a shaft straight through would work just as well, and it would not have any slop.

Anyways, I'm really excited about the set. The local TRU doesn't have it yet, but I'm hoping they will have it soon. They have the container truck thing already, but I'm not really too interested in that.

Daniel

I just finished my new model and it is awesome to say the least. This is easily one of Lego's best technic models ever. The build was just so much fun.