Sign in to follow this  
DLuders

Motorized M1A2 ABRAMS TANK's Realistic Turret

At http://mocpages.com/moc.php/210779 , Zackhariah Macasaet has made available LDD Building Instructions for his M1A2 Abrams Tank, "improved Version 2". It uses a hybrid of Lego Power Functions and radio control (RC) components for maximum manueverability and power in a small package. He wrote,

"Here is my updated motorized M1A2 Abrams Tank! This tank is controlled by one Lego IR speed controller and one RC car controller. IR controls the chassis and RC controls the turret, both can traverse 360 degrees. This tank is 1/24 scale, has independent suspension, a gun leveler, treads with rubber shoes, firing action, a rechargeable battery, a sturdy construction, and smoke screen attachment! It is capable of climbing multiple objects, including books and steep inclines. Can also cross over nails and wire without the tread snapping, and can overcome large gaps. It can also be dropped multiple times without damage. P.S. if you like tanks look at my other ones too!" :thumbup:

"For instructions just send me an email at zack_macasaet@yahoo.com and I will send a [Lego Digital Designer] LDD file back. I will ask that you send $20 to my Paypal account too." He estimates that the tank costs ~US$200 in parts to build (not including the Technic treads).

"Instructions have power functions,suspension,traversing turret,and leveling gun":12779611921_SPLASH.jpg1277801068m_SPLASH.jpg12778010712_SPLASH.jpg12778010777_SPLASH.jpg

I know that there are hardly any motorized Lego Tanks with full building instructions available on the web -- I know because I've been searching for about 2 years for one. :blush:

Be sure to check out all of Zach's creations at http://mocpages.com/home.php/11804 . A non-motorized version of the Abrams is shown there, as well as many other tanks. What kid (or kid-at-heart) doesn't want to play with a motorized LEGO TANK? :sweet:

[bUMP]

1322214511m_SPLASH.jpgNOW 1339737412m_SPLASH.jpg

Lego tank commander Zachariah Macasaet (ZachariahM) continues to refine his Lego Technic Abrams Tank. Here are two YouTube videos of his Abrams v3 (from MOCpages). Although the tank below has been painted (from the original black color), Lego Digital Designer (LDD) Building Instructions for the black version are available on this MOCpages entry. Not all parts are available in the Lego "Tan" color, but you can't have an Abrams running around in the desert in a black color.... :tongue:

"It is:

-100% Lego

-Fully functional

-Highly detailed

-Roughly 1:24 scale

-and AWESOME!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY0fTV2wmlY

Looks even better in tan! Do the tan pieces cost a lot of money?

tim

Compared to black and yellow parts, tan parts are much more expensive.

@ lockdownTF: Having built ZachariahM's other Lego Technic M1A2 Abrams Tank (version 2), I know that his suspension is an upsized version of this Christie Suspension setup. There is a Flickr video (made by Simon T James) that demonstrates a smaller version of what Zachariah Macasaet did. There's a second Flickr video that shows the suspension too.

Look at the various pictures on the right side of this Flickr photo; just "upsize" the geometry to make a larger tank! :classic: Note the various rubber bands (uses for teeth braces) that provides the suspension "rebound". There are good explanations that accompany each Flickr picture:

6892842605_19db5cfcd5_z.jpg6892835825_dcc290a728_z.jpg6892807199_a84c0b0498_z.jpg

It's cool, but it's not all lego, which would make replicating it hard, due to differences in components.

Thanks Dluders I don't think I've got that many elastic bands so I might see if I can make one using spring suspension and large tracks

Submit that on LEGO CUUSOO, i would vote for this set. I would like to see a whole military theme of tanks, choppers, jets. This would be a great start

@ legotrader: Two problems with your suggestion:

1) Zachariah Macasaet (the MOC designer) would have to be the one to submit his Lego Technic M1A2 Abrams Tank to Lego CUUSOO.

2) TLG would reject a modern military tank in a flash, since "War Is Not Fun". The privately-owned Lego Group will not create sets about modern warfare.

@ lockdownTF: I just ordered the orthodontist-type rubber bands for teeth braces from eBay. If you're a "Lego purist", there are rubber bands available on Bricklink but you want the smallest size possible. I view Rubber Bands as an "expendible" item (like batteries), so I don't care if they're genuine Lego or not.

I would like to see a whole military theme of tanks, choppers, jets.

Lego will never allow for a military theme, not even if it's special and AFOL only.

About the tank: weird, that there hasn't been a reply in 2010. It's a great design, and the suspension seems ingeniuosly accurate, but the exterior isn't very detailed.

I still like

Leopard 2 the most of all technic tanks. It's both very functional and more detailed than this one.

I like it but it isn't really Technic nor Mindstorm. It is not very functional :thumbdown: , except for the drive (and the suspension) :thumbup: .

I still like

Leopard 2 the most of all technic tanks. It's both very functional and more detailed than this one.

Thank you. You just reminded me that I should really start building my K2 Black Panther in the same scale, but with an active suspension system. It's been too long since I've built a large tank.

1347338089m_SPLASH.jpg

Zackhariah Macasaet continues to refine his motorized, fully-functional Lego Technic M1A2 Abrams Tank by updating his Building Instructions on Sept 10, 2012. He has added a Lego Competition Arrow and other firing mechanisms to defeat various demons. :devil: The suspension uses weak Orthodontist-type rubber bands (the weaker strength, for teeth braces). Below are his latest videos on his YouTube Channel -- More on MOCpages.

Edited by DLuders

In his

, tank commander Zachariah Macasaet demonstrates his Lego Technic tank steering mechanism for an upcoming, large-scale tank. It uses double differentials: