Sign in to follow this  
Corydoras

Teal katanas

I've just bought two teal-colored katanas that came with only one set - 8509 (Robo Riders):

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8509-1

They sure are unique, because they were in only one set (released 10 years ago), but I don't know anything about their value. Is this piece anything interesting? Also, I'm not sure how to use them. The strange colour (teal) makes me wonder if they match any historic themes, such as ninja. I'm currently using the swords as some kind of a 'sacred treasure'. Two sacred teal katanas, yeah!

Any information about the value or possible use of those strange katanas?

That Robo Riders set is the only set they appear in Dark Turquoise. There are 55 sellers with them on Bricklink - lowest listed price is $0.25. 61 have been sold in the last 6 months for as little as $0.15 and as much as $1.75, with an average sale price of $0.92.

Price guide: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=30173&colorID=39

Set guide: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=30173&in=S

Thanks a lot! So it's Dark Turquoise? Peeron says it's Teal (LOL).

Peeron and Bricklink use different names for colors, and there's really no "standard" name. Most of the time when you identify a part you refer to the Bricklink name, but that's not in any way the official or universally recognized name.

Incidentally, the official name LEGO uses (don't expect to find many people using this one) is Bright Bluish Green. I prefer this name myself as it helps identify it as part of a spectrum, but most people call it turquoise or teal.

Bricklink's Dark Turquoise and Peeron's Teal are the same color.

EDIT: Well, I really got beaten to that.

Edited by hewkii9

I think I have a couple of the sets from that theme! Unfortunately, one of those katanas is bent back very badly for me.

-Santhor

Are these turquoise katanas rare?

Because I have like 8 of them.

Look at the second post. The most expensive ones are $1.75, but I bet no one will buy at that price since they are also sold at around $0.25

Right. 1 set, not expensive, but a unique example of a part in an odd colour.

Now that the price and lack of rarity has been covered, let's go for how to use them.

Personally, I'd use them as display weapons in a shrine or some kind of weapons display. Otherwise, they could possibly be 'magical' or in some other way specially forged as opposed to typical weapons.

They're basically the Ninja equivalent of KK2 broadswords in freaky colours, you've got to be really creative to make good use of them.

If you have a creative use, maybe you could post a pic?

Give them to space ninjas as electric swords.

Or they would go pretty well in a space or apoca MOC.