Sign in to follow this  
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

A complaint about the new SW sets

Why didn't you just edit?

I meant double post as in I double-clicked 'Add reply', adding two identical posts to this thread. So I edited the duplicate to make another point. :wink:

Edited by Jammiedodger714

I meant double post as in I double-clicked 'Add reply', adding two identical posts to this thread. So I edited the duplicate to make another point. :wink:

Oh right sorry!

I'm not at all a SW collector, but I personally think that many recent figs have been phenomenal, especially the new Boba. In fact, the new Slave I set is really appealing to me all-around, and almost makes me want to start collecting SW sets again (but then I look at the prices :tongue: ) Pity my brother already got the next most recent one, as that one didn't have nearly as much going for it aesthetically (I happen to like the dark red and dark green this one includes, as well as the clearer cockpit glass).

As for remakes, what are you going to do? Here are some things to consider:

• Most of the really popular vehicles from Star Wars have already been made as sets. LEGO's trying to expand their range by dipping into more obscure expanded universe vehicles (examples including the TIE Defender, TIE Crawler, and that one ship from The Force Unleashed which was very awesome but the name of which evades me at the moment), but we're never likely to see more than a couple of these in any given year
  • Being a licensed property, Star Wars sets are most likely to sell when their release coincides with whatever Lucasarts is doing at the time. Hence, the Clone Wars sets try to include up-to-date minifigures like Cad Bane, that ship from The Force Unleashed got released near the time the game was released, and we get a new Slave I to celebrate the anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back. These are all things that are being promoted across multiple Star Wars product lines, not just LEGO, and LEGO has to go along with them if they want to reap the benefits of their license.
  • Possibly most importantly, LEGO's not just selling to long-time collectors. Some people haven't bought every Slave I that's been released, and so there's still a strong market for it and other really popular and iconic starfighters.

I definitely approve of the direction LEGO Star Wars has taken. I almost wish that games like LEGO Star Wars were like downloadable MMOGs and could have new patches installed periodically to make all the models the most up-to-date. In the meantime, someday the sets may beckon me back, but for now I'm enjoying the comfort of non-licensed themes.

I have to say, this new wave well and truely ended my SWL craze. I just don't like the sets anymore. Okay, admittedly, the new wave was over shadowed anyway by WR and HF but still, the sets are rubbish. It's just my opinion.

Vote with your wallet people, if you don't like a set, don't buy it.

Cheers

ISC.

And that's why I'm proudly SW free and criticize the creativity retarding/over-priced/unoriginal/etc license as much as I want to :tongue::grin: :grin:

God Bless,

Nathan

Okay, admittedly, the new wave was over shadowed anyway by WR and HF

Ok, what are "WR" and "HF"? WR might be "World Racers"? But what's HF?

DaveE

Hero Factory? Got to admit I struggled with those.

DaveE

Hero Factory? Got to admit I struggled with those.

Sorry guys, I was on my phone so writing out full words is a pain. I won't be so lazy in future. :blush:

It is Hero Factory and World Racers.

Edited by The crazy one

creativity retarding/over-priced/unoriginal/etc license

just look at the Death Star set and you can see how creativity retarding the Star Wars-series is.

I do like the new SW sets (I'm a fan of the OT), Darth Vader's new TIE Fighter is very good looking and even the Slave 1 is a great set with amazing and very detailed figures. The Landspeeder has a great amount of minifigs, a great plus, the color of the speeder itself is a bit off but it's ok.

The prices are a bit higher compared to other sets, but in the end it's a point of view and kind of a cost-benefit ratio. If you like the movies and grew up with them the prices are more acceptable :wink:

btw: I'm very excited about the USC-Shuttle.

I don't mind reissues as long as their significantly improved or there has been a good 5+ years gap and I think it's that way the Boba Fett's Slave I. I have all versions and I personally cannot wait for it to be available!

Think some of the figs aer too cartoony? They fit perfectly to what LEGO is and that's being playable and looking 'cartoony'. Afterall, they are marketed for kids, aren't they? I know my 4-year old will love Han Carbonite.

OK, so obviously, either you hate 'em or you love 'em. Feeling are very mixed.

About the Slave 1, I think that the only reason it's "good" is because it's practically the same as the last one. Extremely similar in construction and features.

Hmm interesting topic. As a whole, I think the builds have gotten better. I'm not particularly concerned about the color situations, but the prices are out of control in my opinion ($79 for the new slave I, when the 2006 version was $49 and had only 30ish less pieces?). Also, the stickers are a big complaint. I know some people like to take the stickers off and have a clean brick, but in my opinion they make the set look cheap, and they're really hard to apply straight (and I'm a graduate student - can't imagine a 9-15 year old trying to affix the decals straight!).

But hope isn't all gone with TLG - the new Rebel Blockade Runner had a decent parts-to-price ratio and no stickers.

As others have said, however, the way to tell TLG what we think is to talk with our wallets. Aside from the new Slave I, I just don't buy sets with stickers or really high price-to-parts ratios.

Edited by Blackicep8ntball

I mean, who knew that Boba was actually 7 feet tall?

COLOR SCHEME:

Dark red on the Slave 1=epic fail.

About that first 'fact,' I fail tos ee what that had to do with this. As seen in the pictures, Fett is CLEARLY the same size as the others, making no difference.

And for number two, that is NOT an epic fail- if you look closely, there actually WAS dark red on the Slave 1.