Sign in to follow this  
Inconspicuous

A Piping Hot Duel

I'm not much of a procrastinator, but in this case I was. I started researching and planning this MOC a week ago, and was delayed by a vacation. I started the actual construction Sunday morning, and finished Tuesday afternoon. Considering the tight deadline, I'm extremely satisfied with my work. I don't build MOCs this big too often, and I impressed myself. Regardless of whether I win or not, I'll still be glad just to have this diorama.

So without any further ado, I present... A "Piping" Hot Duel!

Scene:

4747535605_89e12255b6.jpg

Above the churning lava on Mustafar, two great heroes clash in arguably the most epic lightsaber duel in all of Star Wars. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker rage through the hallways of the element-harvesting facilities, and across a balcony. In a gut-wrenching moment, Anakin forces Obi-Wan backwards across a narrow pipe, with molten lava falling, churning, and splashing around them.

Overview:

4747535911_8ee0ae4374.jpg

In this less movie-accurate view, you can see the contents of the entire display. The main parts are the end of the building, the pipe, and the lava falls. Each can be detached easily, and were built separately and then integrated. If you're wondering about the roof, I simply didn't have the pieces available to build one.

Low-Angle:

4747538031_92e5bc6b51.jpg

From this low-angle view, you can see some of my favorite parts: the detailing at the building's base, the lava splashing, and the cute little Mustafar panning droid.

Pipe:

4748177298_31a832b808.jpg

Here, Obi-Wan precariously balances on the pipe, while slowing inching backwards.

Top:

4748178292_e3c879789c.jpg

Here you can see things from Obi-Wan's perspective. The lava down below would be a terrible end for such a great Jedi!

The edge of the building and the top of the lava fall extend beyond the base, but the lava portion of the base is slightly smaller than 32 x 32 to account for this. However, the end of the pipe does extend a few studs beyond due to the lengths of the pieces.

To see the scene in the movie, start at 1:07 of this video. More pictures can be found here when I add them.

As always, best of luck to my competitors, and thank you for looking!

-Inconspicuous

Awesome entry.

I really love the lava :thumbup:

Best of luck.

Very cool! Not only is it well built, but also great subject matter. :tongue: Keep up the good work.

Thanks! :tongue: I chose the subject due to the fairly easy architecture and color scheme. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't run out a color, and I had enough gray, red, and yellow.

The structure is very movie accurate! Great job. :thumbup:

Thanks! I did a lot of research on this when I was drawing plans. I found this picture to be very useful The duel skips around a bit, so I had to draw a mental map of their battle path.

Wow, well there goes any shred of a chance for my medium to get any votes. A lot better than your small. :thumbup:

Thanks. I wouldn't say it's that much better than my small- they're two completely different scenes. I would agree that this one is more impressive, but I'm equally proud of my other entry.

I'd also like to say thanks to those of you who commented but I didn't address specifically. :sweet:

Oh :oh:

Very nice. You've got a really nice feel to this scene. You've captured it very well. However, I'm a bit confused about the lavafall type thing.

It definately adds a lot more to the feeling of the scene, but It doesn't quite fit in to the design of how it all is. It seems to stick out. But it looks nice none the less. Lovely MOC. Well done :classic:

However, I'm a bit confused about the lavafall type thing.

It definately adds a lot more to the feeling of the scene, but It doesn't quite fit in to the design of how it all is. It seems to stick out. But it looks nice none the less. Lovely MOC. Well done :classic:

Hmm. Perhaps it sticks out because it's made of shiny PaB parts, unlike the rest of the MOC? It's definitely there during the duel, but a little farther back and down. Like many people in the contest, I've had to cramp it a little to get it in there.

Thanks for the comment though!

Wow, this is great Inconspicuous, excellent job! It doen't look it was done on a tight deadline, it really looks amazing. I simply love the lava falls and Obi-wan balancing in the tibe pipes. Good luck in the contest!

Oh man, this is amazing. I love your falling lava effect, and your flames at the bottom could not be more perfect. They look just like the fire spurts in the movie.

Inky, this is a reall really good entry, I hope you know that. I've seen a bunch of episode III entries, but this one takes the cake I think.

*oh2*

That is just pure awesome!

Its very movie accurate and very impressive!

Good luck in the contest and may the force be with you :yoda:

Inky, this is a reall really good entry, I hope you know that. I've seen a bunch of episode III entries, but this one takes the cake I think.

Thanks for the comment! I'm quite touched. :cry_happy:

Thanks to the rest of you for the nice comments too! I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

(I just noticed that the forum marks this as a hot topic. Oh, the irony.)