Sign in to follow this  
Whittleberry

Warner Brothers planning CGI/live action LEGO film

It will be some crappy family film where a kid discovers his/her toys are alive (Lego in this case) his/her parents don't believe them blah blah blah and it all gets resolved in the end, just a cliché of nearly every kids film ever.

Heavens. Was I needlessly dismissive of as yet unwritten films? :hmpf:

Meanwhile everyone rabidly tears apart a film that has so far only had an “ok, we are going to make a Lego Film”, It is yet to be written, scripted, cast, animated, filmed or even had hints to theme beyond a “mix of live action and animation”. However you mock and decry the supposed outcome.

At least I know that I am not all that fond of the aforementioned franchises from prior experience.

The Lego Movie is brand new, It hasn’t been ‘done’ before and Lego isn’t an established movie franchise beyond the Direct-to-DVD Bionicle films.

That was just a little experiment in juxtaposition between something I dislike and something you have all decided to rage upon.

I note with interest that the second part of my post has been ignored.

I also take offence at the suggestion that I take every opportunity to mention my dislike of Star Wars. Apart from in this topic I have only mentioned it when pertinent and in a self deferential manner (mainly: I don’t like it, just IMO, not saying everyone else should dislike it). I don’t exactly troll the Star Wars board.

However I do apologise if I have “muddied” it more than I realised.

But there we are. Why can’t people be positive about a potential Lego Movie? After all it will equal more sales, more sets and maybe a fun new theme?

I think I shall reserve judgement until after I have seen the film. I'll be able to take my little brother and we'll have fun (like at the Lego 4D Racers/Spellbreaker features at Legoland and when I took him to see Clone Wars and Monsters Vs Aliens at the cinema) watching a film I know for sure is ok for a small boy to watch. (It's nice to be able to interact with my much younger siblings, I sometimes feel too detatched from my littlest sister)

I guess I'll be back here after I've seen it. To agree that it was terrible or just to mention that it was enjoyable.

Is that the Transformers 2 with a 20% rating at Rotten Tomatoes?

Yes. It is also the the Transformers 2 that has made 4 times its budget and made over $900,000,000 world wide.

And as Meschepers has pointed out, there is little chance that they will be able to come up with a story that captures Lego's promotion creativity and imagination in an un-corny way.

Your probably right. But again,this is a Lego movie. Corny kind comes with the territory. Also keep in mind this is going to be made for kids in mind. But honestly, that's not to say that the writers can't come up with a story/script that captures Lego's imagination. Weirder things have been done.

Heavens. Was I needlessly dismissive of as yet unwritten films? :hmpf:

Meanwhile everyone rabidly tears apart a film that has so far only had an “ok, we are going to make a Lego Film”, It is yet to be written, scripted, cast, animated, filmed or even had hints to theme beyond a “mix of live action and animation”. However you mock and decry the supposed outcome.

At least I know that I am not all that fond of the aforementioned franchises from prior experience.

The Lego Movie is brand new, It hasn’t been ‘done’ before and Lego isn’t an established movie franchise beyond the Direct-to-DVD Bionicle films.

That was just a little experiment in juxtaposition between something I dislike and something you have all decided to rage upon.

I note with interest that the second part of my post has been ignored.

I also take offence at the suggestion that I take every opportunity to mention my dislike of Star Wars. Apart from in this topic I have only mentioned it when pertinent and in a self deferential manner (mainly: I don’t like it, just IMO, not saying everyone else should dislike it). I don’t exactly troll the Star Wars board.

However I do apologise if I have “muddied” it more than I realised.

But there we are. Why can’t people be positive about a potential Lego Movie? After all it will equal more sales, more sets and maybe a fun new theme?

I think I shall reserve judgement until after I have seen the film. I'll be able to take my little brother and we'll have fun (like at the Lego 4D Racers/Spellbreaker features at Legoland and when I took him to see Clone Wars and Monsters Vs Aliens at the cinema) watching a film I know for sure is OK for a small boy to watch. (It's nice to be able to interact with my much younger siblings, I sometimes feel too detatched from my littlest sister)

I guess I'll be back here after I've seen it. To agree that it was terrible or just to mention that it was enjoyable.

Peppermint M brings up some very valid points. While this initial idea doesn't sound all that great, she's right that we haven't seen anything yet and its really not all that fair to completly dismiss this. Even if the movie flops,chances are we'llget some decents sets out of it.

We all also have to remember that while most of us are AFOL, this that Lego has, and will also we be for the children. For goodness sake,... won't someone please think about the children!! :tongue:

But seriously, i think many of us are thinking of this to much from an "Adult" perspective and need to step down and think if how excited we all would be if we were all 11yrs old and this move was coming out. That's who the target audience is going to be. Not high school teens, not young adults in there 20's. Kids. Honest, innocent kids that just want to be entertained for an hour and a half.

having said this i still agree with most that this film will probably be cheesy as hell with a played out story, but who are we kidding? Peppermint M is right that we all (well, I'll say 95% of us) will no doubt be seeing this in the theater/cinema. Even when many start seeing previews and dismissing it will undoubtedly go to see if there initial reactions were justified.

So while i don't see this winning any oscars are being highly successful, i will say that the idea is original and will at minimum give us a look at Lego in a way that we've never seen before.

I guess I'll be back here after I've seen it.

Well, in case you do return before that, let me just say this:

Why can
Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Aren't most AFOL a bit fanboy? I mean its a kids building toy... And we are adults playing, building, going to cons dedicated to the brick and spending lots of money on it. Not to mention being members of a Lego Adult Fan Community...

Didn't mean to offend.

And I mostly enjoyed the look on his face as spaceships went roaring by. Eight year olds are honest with their excitement and enjoyment (It was fantastic watching them watch 3D. Trying to grab the planet and the comet in Monsters Vs Aliens). I won't hurt if its a film for children (I enjoy them a bit more to be honest. The Boat that Rocked was the only mature film I have enjoyed in a while) parental bonus is money in the bank for all involved.

*It is curteous to reply to such polite posts*

Aren't most AFOL a bit fanboy?

Well, sure, a little bit. But most are not so hardcore about it as to buy everything down to every exclusive as you made it sound. But there is some truth in what you said, and that's why I said that it was only a little bit offensive. :wink: Nothing to worry about.

I mostly enjoyed the look on his face as spaceships went roaring by.

I was kidding, I know what you meant. :grin:

*It is curteous to reply to such polite posts*

I'll take that as a compliment. :classic: Thanks.

Peppermint M, the reason people (and I mean that very loosely, Oky and I were the only ones to call you on it) reacted to your post had absolutely not the slightest iota of a thing to do with your more positive outlook on the movie. If you are more of an optomist more power to you. The reason was actually that you quoted my post (which was quite obviously a joke) simply to mention how you felt Star Wars and Batman were awful. That's your opinion, I myself don't like the new Star Wars films, but the fact that it had absolutely not a thing to do with what I said or what was being discussed was the problem. It would be like me quoting Oky's last post part "nothing to worry about" and then saying "nothing to worry about just like that last crappy Indy film right?"

I didn't even accuse you of anything, I was just confused as to what the heck you were trying to say and how you drew that from my comment. I still am.

Moving on, I'll still be skeptical of this project however, I just don't think Lego has material to support a film, and mixing live action with animation has failed more often than not.

To the Brickmobile! :devil:

The only way this film shall be good is if it was done in Stopmotion A live action with Stopmotion would be brilliant! but is CG so its going to Suck :sceptic:

It will probably be aimed at kids so will have a weak story, it wont be any good, what toy movies have been.

Ahem, Toy Story was a GREAT kid movie with Toys! Probably the only good one though. :sadnew:

Excuse me!

Transformers 1 and 2 were very good movies, mind you. :wink:

This movie may or may not be a bad idea. Before we all start assuming how bad it'll be, maybe we should wait till a plot arises...? :sceptic:

Transformers 2 really screwed it up. I didnt like it.

Interesting, if it's not CG, it's going to be terrible.

What!!?? Stop Moiton is a hundred times Better than that!

A Lego film might be very good :classic: . The Thomas The Tank Engine film was crap - and it cost Britt Allcroft her job... and that was a mix of normal animation, live action and CGI overlapping.

The Lego film will undoubtedly either bring lego into a new era...or might see Lego have a 'circling the drain' session if it flops.

Hmm, sounds kind of ineteresting, can't say much more than that untill more info is released. However the idea of live action and rel lego could be a litle odd. I wonder if they mean like

,or

hope be a great movie! like Cluck power movie..i like it :sweet:

I really hope this is good, and more AFOL based than Chuck Powers.

You guys are joking right? Clutch Powers?

You guys are joking right? Clutch Powers?

Me not joke, I make an errors into the name lol...but I prefer a kid's movie and not a flop movie like Transformers :laugh:

Merged the multi threads back into the first of the threads!

I knew as soon as I saw the re-occurence of news that all this would be discussed again!

This film is sounding very interesting. Here's some of an interview on Collider

http://www.collider.com/2010/07/06/phil-lord-interview-lego-movie-21-jump-street-cloudy-with-a-chance-of-meatballs-2/

“I don’t know how we’re exactly going to execute it, but I would say the vast majority of the film takes place in an immersive all-Lego environment. So it’s going to star mini-figs and we’ve created these really cool characters and a really nice character story between these mini-figs. And it’s going to take place in a universe that’s made entirely out of Lego to the point where if there’s water or clouds or like a big explosion, that will be made out of animated Legos. And our goal was to make it look like a super charged stop-motion. Something like if Michael Bay kidnapped Henry Selick to make a movie for him.

This might very well be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Who made them believe that this would be profitable? I thought the Bionicle movies were bad, but at least they kind of fit into a movie universe. After all, Bionicle does have a story... mangled and completely unfocused, yes, but a story nonetheless.

A LEGO movie with live action? How does that even... no, this HAS to be false.

A LEGO movie with live action? How does that even... no, this HAS to be false.

You didn't read the post above you, did you? This thread's been going for a year, and the live action part has been removed.