Carbohydrates

Western Theme Discussion

hey guys, I recently started collecting lego again! While browsing through the sets that were released during the 15 years I stopped playing lego, I realized my favorite themes such as Vikings, Dwarfs, Dragons and Trolls were all ended! Tried searching for those sets on ebay but the prices are MAD. Based on LEGO's behavior, when do you guys think those themes will be revived again?

Prices aren't (sadly) mad, it's the ask-and-offer law :hmpf_bad: .

I was 16 when Fort Legoredo was released and I felt I was a bit grown up to purchase it :sad: . Now that I'm an AFoL, I'd want to get it, but some profiteer sell it for a lot of money and this trend goes on. And I don't see never a lacking of interest in these sets, despite the high prices :oh3: .

Bisons are so amazing :wub: .

I'm building a western MOC, now I'm going to make a second order via Mangiobricks because of a lack of some piece whose quantity I understimated while I made the first order.

Edited by Plastic Nurak

Hmm... Bisons are nice, but because of some reason I don't really like them, I don't know why... :hmpf:

Edited by Silverface

Hmm... Bisons are nice, but because of some reason I don't realy like them, I don't know why... :hmpf:

Keep in mind those are preliminary pictures from a while ago, and they would change in sets if they are released in the future. I am a fan of all things nature in LEGO, so the more animal molds there are the better it is.

:thumbup:

I would love to see a vulture mold. Harry Potter had owls, Pirates had parrots, and the new Kingdoms have Chickens. Time for a vulture to appear!

I would love to see a vulture mold. Harry Potter had owls, Pirates had parrots, and the new Kingdoms have Chickens. Time for a vulture to appear!

Now that's a darn fine idea! There's some clever brick-built vultures out there, but a dedicated mold would be nice.

I had a few of these sets when I was a little feller. I loved them so much, I mean hey they brought back ninja so why not the western theme?

Having recently played Red Dead Redemption the xbox, my interest in Western-themed things has been re-invigorated. I would love to see some new Wild West sets.

I completely agree with you, AhabDarab!

These bisons look :wub: !

I really hope that if TLG brings back the Western theme, bisons or buffalo will be included since they're such an important and concise part of the Wild West.

The Western MOCs which appear from time to time here on EB, our discussion about WW sets and MOCs, the general like of kids to play Indians, sheriffs and cowboys, our many ideas for new Western sets, our report and petition (which was even sent to TLG), agreements of ambassadors of other forums and finally the people's choice for a huge Western diorama in a Lego exhibition in Australia really shows that people are (still) interested in Lego Western. And I even really hope that TLG draws a conclusion out of this.

That they engaged BrickMiner might be a hint for us getting some new WW sets in the next year(s). But of course that doesn't say anything since they do not need one graphic designer for only one theme which then even would only be there for one til three years.

Next year it'll be 15 years ago that the last WW set was released. So that would be the perfect timing for starting a new Western theme. In the first wave/year mainly cowboy oriented sets should be released (since I bet that kids are the most interested in these), in the second wave/year soldiers and in the third wave/year Indians.

I luckily own all the Western sets from the ninetees.

But there's still that much missing - mainly a saloon, a stage coach with post office, a Wild West farm and a Western train with train station.

So let's hope!

Klaus-Dieter

Yes I also strongly agree they should bring it back, however I hope it is a standard Western theme and not some fantasy crap like ninjago or so. The collectible figs brought us a Cowboy and 2 Indian's, which is a great start! The Bison prototype is awesome and should be used if we get a new theme. Still on my wishlist of themes to be brought back to former awesomeness, along with Pirates.

You were the strongest contributor to my ideas for new Wild West sets I remember :grin: So yes so many possibilities.

Yes I also strongly agree they should bring it back, however I hope it is a standard Western theme and not some fantasy crap like ninjago or so. The collectible figs brought us a Cowboy and 2 Indian's, which is a great start! The Bison prototype is awesome and should be used if we get a new theme. Still on my wish-list of themes to be brought back to former awesomeness, along with Pirates.

Pirates has been reinvented and brought to life in the POTC sets, which is cause enough for pirate fans to rejoice even if we get fleshies instead of yellow figures.

As far as a fantasy Wild West theme, I don;t think they can screw us up that bad, unless it includes cowboys vs native American mummies! :laugh: I don't see that happening though. Historic themes are looking good with 2 solid years of human vs human struggles. :wink:

Pirates has been reinvented and brought to life in the POTC sets, which is cause enough for pirate fans to rejoice even if we get fleshies instead of yellow figures.

As far as a fantasy Wild West theme, I don;t think they can screw us up that bad, unless it includes cowboys vs native American mummies! :laugh: I don't see that happening though. Historic themes are looking good with 2 solid years of human vs human struggles. :wink:

Very true. :cry_happy:

Btw guys, do you think the EN is a suitable WW Train? or is it from a different era altogether?

Edited by Macoco

Very true. :cry_happy:

Btw guys, do you think the EN is a suitable WW Train? or is it from a different era altogether?

Its a different era altogether in my opinion. The TS train screams US western but we all know that already.

Just out of interest, Do you guys have any ideas for a Western/Train competition?

No promises, just looking into the interest levels

Well, an idea might seem out of left field, but Lego city time warp....what I mean say police station into classic western jail, pizza bar into a classic western hotel complete with piano player and dancing girls. But also it could work in reverse, like dark ages blacksmith into a western one making horse shoes. Just a thought. :classic:

Its a different era altogether in my opinion. The TS train screams US western but we all know that already.

Just out of interest, Do you guys have any ideas for a Western/Train competition?

No promises, just looking into the interest levels

We could do that, but it might ignite a turf war with the train forum! :laugh: That really is an interesting idea though, I just wonder if history MOC'ers have the know-how to build elaborate mechanical contraptions and rail cars. (I don't think I'm 100% on that either )

If we do it it would certainly be interesting, but I would prefer a general western building contest. :wub:

Just my 2 cents

Having recently played Red Dead Redemption the xbox, my interest in Western-themed things has been re-invigorated. I would love to see some new Wild West sets.

I played Red Dead Redemption as well and it was fantastic. I even dressed up as a cowboy for my Halloween party. And last night I watched this awesome Korean stylized western called The Good, The Bad, The Weird. (You can stream that on Netflix. Do they have Netflix in Europe?)

Anyway I'm all into cowboy stuff now. Haha, at least to an extent. I would definitely buy western-themed Lego sets. We got a cowboy in the collectible minifigure line. We also got two native... er native Legolandians? I'm hoping they do a cowgirl or an evil cowboy minifig at least.

Edited by Zeya

Ok I do have to say I am not really a Cowboy fan for legos but I loved the Native American theme. It had so much outdoor elements that I could incorporate it into my caste theme. I loved all the actionable elements. I hope Lego would revisit the theme. I am sure there would be alot of buyers.

ohh what era is the EN from?:blush:

I'd love to see a run of modular buildings done in a WW fashion.

Take a look at any western movie set in a decent sized town and you can see that there would be a wealth of buildings to choose from.

Just dreaming, I know but, it WOULD be cool. :classic:

I'd love to see a run of modular buildings done in a WW fashion.

I wouldn't. If there were some new WW sets, I hope that they would be System style like the Western sets from the ninetees.

Over the past half year I've saved 220 Euros (the price which I suppose all sets of a new Western wave would cost) which I won't spend for anything else than for new Western sets (or for Roman sets - if they aren't fantasy styled).

So let's hope that the WW theme will get a return next year (not with re-releases, but with completely new sets)!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Over the past half year I've saved 220 Euros (the price which I suppose all sets of a new Western wave would cost) which I won't spend for anything else than for new Western sets (or for Roman sets - if they aren't fantasy styled).

So let's hope that the WW theme will get a return next year (not with re-releases, but with completely new sets)!

That's pretty wishful thinking putting money aside for a theme that we haven't even heard rumours about. I would be happy to see a return, but at this stage you are probably better MOCing your own series of Western style sets up yourself with your $220 Euros. Now that would be cool!

Say that gives me an idea for a competition :wink:

Cool, interested in that, but make it after BrickExpo :classic:

DrRod

I think I've repeated this ad nauseum already, but isn't it the whole point of LEGO that you can build anything out of the bricks yourself? Why spend years waiting for some theme to be re-released that might never come back when you could use that time (and money) to build a whole Western world just the way you like it.

Let's face it, Klaus-Dieter, even if TLG would produce a Wild West theme in the future, you wouldn't be satisfied with it. I think you've grown such high expectations over those sets (even counting what they would cost!) that TLG couldn't possibly meet up with what you're expecting.

So the obvious answer would be to stop waiting for a miracle and start building. :wink:

I think I've repeated this ad nauseum already, but isn't it the whole point of LEGO that you can build anything out of the bricks yourself? Why spend years waiting for some theme to be re-released that might never come back when you could use that time (and money) to build a whole Western world just the way you like it.

Let's face it, Klaus-Dieter, even if TLG would produce a Wild West theme in the future, you wouldn't be satisfied with it. I think you've grown such high expectations over those sets (even counting what they would cost!) that TLG couldn't possibly meet up with what you're expecting.

So the obvious answer would be to stop waiting for a miracle and start building. :wink:

That's pretty wishful thinking putting money aside for a theme that we haven't even heard rumours about. I would be happy to see a return, but at this stage you are probably better MOCing your own series of Western style sets up yourself with your $220 Euros. Now that would be cool!

Thank you very much for this advise, I Scream Clone and Sandy! :classic:

But - although I like collecting as much as playing as much as building - I hate it to mix MOCs with official sets.

Apart from that I wouldn't be that sure about that I would be disappointed about a new Western theme: Only look at the new Kingdoms sets - they are way better than the Castle sets of the kast ten years and imo even better than the classic Castle sets of the eightees and ninetees.

If TLG released a new WW theme, I bet that they would include even some new stuff - at least a stage coach and a saloon. For sure there would be common sets we already saw in the 90s, too, and they would even make the majority of the sets. But as long as there are one or two new sorts of buildings and vehicles, I would be happy.

Yes, please, I Scream Clone. That would be really cool! :thumbup:

I anyway don't remember that there has ever been any Western competition since I joined EB.

Klaus-Dieter