Sign in to follow this  
Vader

Review: 7781 Batman - Two-Faces Escape

So after having to wait alittle longer than i would have liked i finally got my hands on this set and thankfully the wait was worth it.

So lets get this reveiw a rollong and start with the Batmobile:

4.jpg

As you can see this vehicle is very sleek looking but like the batboat suffers from the gold tile on the roof, as this can be easily replaced its not a problem but i do wonder why lego felt the need to included it.

dscf1154.jpg

Ok here we have a nice little view of the cockpit as you can see its pretty basic with just the steering wheel and a printed slope, Though lego have included stikers that can be applied to 2 black tiles. The stikers themselves are abit strange as its just black and red circles on a grey background, but they do add something to the cockpit and im glad lego included them.

dscf1155.jpg

The windscreen is attached by 2 hinges that allows for it to be easily opened though i did find that the hinges dont seem to hold the windscreen tight enough.

dscf1156.jpg

Now we have the boot of the batmobile where batman can store all his bat gadgets, this is a nice little touch thats added to the set but once again whats with the yellow bricks that are visible once open??? Lego's inclusion of these yellow bricks is a strange one as it just dosent look right if you ask me.

dscf1158.jpg

Here you can see the side of the batmobile in all its glory, as you can see the tubes are a nice little feature what you cant see however is how these are attached. Lego have used 2 small techno pins that insert into a modified techno 1x1 brick, this brick is then attached to both wheel arch's.

dscf1159.jpg

The front tecno brick also slots onto a plate to hold it tight where as the back one dosent, this one just sort of hangs there and the wheel arch is attached by a tile to the second wheel arch. For me its a shame that lego used 2 arch's per wheel as your left with the batmobile looking less sleek than what it could of been.

For me the Batmobile is a good vehicle with a nice playability feel and its well put together on a whole. However i do feel that its way to big when compaired to all the other vehicles that lego produce in lines like the world city one and when its put side by side with the van in this set it just kinda looks silly.

Now one to Two Face's van:

dscf1162.jpg

Well as said in other reviews on the web its basically the same van as the ones in the world city line, however this one does have a few features that are new and add great playability to the set.

dscf1163.jpg

First up is these neat little side cannons, the handle plates allow for these to be flipped out very easily and even though lego's insistance on using the colour yellow on these frustrates me once again i find that overall it still works well.

You may also notice the stickers on the side of the van (yes stickers :-( ), these do look good and i really like the fact that lego included the Two Face coin on it.

dscf1164.jpg

Here we have the back of the van which for me looks great but i cant make out what its supposed to be?? Other than a handy target for the batmobiles missile but it adds a nice little touch to the van.

dscf1165.jpg

The top of the van as pictured (sorry about the poor pic here) has a Two Face coin sticker which as i said before i quite like and for me it adds a touch of owner ship to the van.........even though its stolen :-D

The top of the van is made up by a hinge plate that comes into effect later, the 2 handles have a tile in between them thats for Two Face to sit in between and shoot at the batmobile this also serves as a sort of ejector seat, this is activated when you fire the batmobiles missile at the back of the van which in turn moves the hinge plate around and throws Two Face from the van.

dscf1167.jpg

As you can see above this is how the hinge plate moves around and allows for the ejection of a fig, inside the van is hollow to allow this feature. I can see alot of people customizing the interior in the months to come and i for one may add a safe or money of some sort.

van.jpg

Lastly for the van we have a front view, simple and works well even if i did find the sticker to be annoying once again. I feel that the van works very well and i really like the way the grey and white pieces look together.

My only cause of complant is the same as the batmobile in that the two when put together looks silly, for me the van should have at least been the same size as the batmobile if not bigger.

dscf1171.jpg

And here we have the last bit of the set, for me this is nothing special and i really wish that lego had of used these parts to enhance the van. But as far as a road accessory goes its ok though im not sure why a dinosaurs tail has been used for the street light?

dscf1169.jpg

And lastly the figs, whats to say about these that hasnt already been said? well i hadnt realised that both the batmans symbol and belt are gold. I had assumed it was yellow and from the pics i saw looked that way to me, it looks great on the fig but i do wonder why lego choose gold as in the first batman film (which this fig is based on) the symbol and belt were both yellow.

Two Face is a great fig and i really love the new hairpiece even if mine does appear to be chipped, the henchmen is your standered lego face and not really anything special.

Overall i find this set to be great and my only complaints would be about the usage of yellow bricks and of course the size difference of the 2 vehicles.

If your a batman fan then this set is a must....nuff said.

Nice to see another review of this wonderfull set!

BTW how did you get hold of it? Did you import it from the USA?

Thanks and yes i did get it shipped in, in fact it was cheaper to have it bought and sent in than it will be form S@H.

Thanks and yes i did get it shipped in, in fact it was cheaper to have it bought and sent in than it will be form S@H.

Where in the USA did you get it shipped from?

I have been looking for a reasonble price for this set, when shipped from the USA, but so far I havent been able to find somewhere where it would be cheaper than the expected S@H price.

Can BatMan's helmet be removed?

I can answer that one for you. Yes, Batmans helmet is removeable.

Tks once again Vader for this great review ;-) !!

Apart from stickers TLC is really annoying giving us weird coloured plates and bricks that have noting to do with the actual set such as the yellow parts in front of the batmobile and in the trunk...

Oh well, I have a better sense of small mods to be made ;-)

I really love the Batmobile even if its really huge !! Its a superhero car afterall :-P

One question Vader regarding our dear Harvey MF: what colour is the hand holding the coin ?? Wouldn't he look cool with a white and black hand ;-)

*yoda*

PS: Review added in the Batman Directory ;-)

One question Vader regarding our dear Harvey MF: what colour is the hand holding the coin ?? Wouldn't he look cool with a white and black hand ;-)

The other hand is flesh colored, as seen in Bloody Jay's review.

Tks !!

So one hand without a glove (fleshie) and the other one in dark bluish grey :'-( !! The arm is black for Pete's sake !!

TLC and colours sometimes make NO sense at all *wacko* Like Mr Krabs and Squidward hands in dark bluish grey also *wacko* Since when they wear gloves ??

*yoda*

A bit weird indeed. Kinda like the blue clips that help the guns on the original Slave I. Totally out of place...strange...

I think they included all those "gold" (what you called yellow) bricks in the Batmobile to match the black/gold pattern on batman's torso. That's fine with me, black and gold are my university's colors ;-)

Actually I love that new colour: Pearl Dark Gold ;-) Those new colours do have strange names hehe

Too bad its only available for those "grills" and rims !! TLC should produce more like that !!!

*yoda*

Yoda the figs hands are as stated by Kikuichimonji, however i have noticed that the face colour and hand (dark bluesh grey) colour dont match up. I find this to be strange as surley lego could of done better still like yoda pointed out the SB sets are a complete mess hands wise.

Starwars4j what are you talking about?? the bricks that are inside the batmobile ARE YELLOW only the grill on top of the cockpit and wheel trims are gold.

Nice review, Vader. *y* Now, I know what set I'll be getting if I do get any Batman sets (I have a tight budget... :'-( )

Batman is sure getting good reviews over here, I think TLC has a hit!

Oh yeah it sure does seem like lego has struck gold with these sets, long may they continue i say.

Is a close up of the weapons possible ? And also, how many of those do you get in the set ?

That was a great review. really made me feel like i had the set in my hands looking at it. Now i cant wait ot get the sets

I didn't want to create a thread for that so I'm "spamming" Vader's one X-D :-P

Just wanted to show how Two-Face looked with a white and Black hand ;-) I think it looks great !!

01-tf.jpg

Enjoy ;-)

*yoda*

Spam my thread??? X-D You cheeky jedi you. Lokks good mate though i would like to see what it would look like if you switched the hands around?

I have a question, how much does this set cost in the US anyways, cause i have a relative i could ask to get it for me.

Joe: The set costs $29.99 in the US

Also, if they're changing over the rims for everyone eventually...do you think the old rims will become relatively rare? Also, does the box with the new rims show the new or old ones on the box? I'm assuming it's the old rims but just checking.

For info, on the box and in the instructions its the "US" rims *wacko*

I need to solve this mystery ;-)

*yoda*