DLuders

Studless Version of Air Tech Claw Rig 8868 Set

1992's "Air Tech Claw Rig" Set 8868 is regarded as one of the best Lego TECHNIC sets. As an old-style "studded" model, the 970-piece set used pneumatics in its "claw". On his Brickshelf folder http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=433149 , "Benny3000" has made "A studless adaptation of the legendary 8868 set. Made for a Setechnic challenge." He has 4 pages of photo-sequence building instructions for those who want to replicate it. :thumbup:

8868_reproduction_034.jpg8868_reproduction_045.jpg8868_instructions_161.jpg001.jpg

Not sure why, but it somehow feels smaller...

Love the yellow pneumatic hosing.

Really looks like original, but seems to work better with PF motors and air tanks. Too bad the rear doesnt have double wheels.

This studless version is sweet. Although I don't have the 8868 myself, I did manage to build it once using instruction-scans on peeron and using different colours. IMO indeed one if the best Technic sets ever.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

This does indeed look smaller than the original for some reason, even though I can tell it is not. I'd love to build this. You can never have too many versions of 8868. Has anyone built both and can show them side by side? I may have to at least make an Ldraw file of it and render them side by side. I've already made an Ldraw file of the original.

Very well done!

This is a great adaptation of my favorite Technic set ever. :thumbup:

The rear base of this model is in fact slightly thinner than the original, although the rear wheels are placed further outward to compensate for that. I think the front hood is also shorter relative to the height of the engine.

Edited by CP5670

This is a very cool remake of one of the best models ever released.

It does look smaller than the original, but I guess that's because there are no studs. Maybe that's just me, but I think studs make models look larger.

Looking at the contest topic, the others are pretty nice as well. I'd say that the one above this one is perhaps more similar to the original, but a proper remake of 8868 has to use pneumatics, so that may have cost him a few votes.

100530103140115433.jpg

Here is the link to the original topic of the contest (in French): http://www.setechnic.com/Forum/topic3138.html

Using the Yahoo! Babel Fish online translator http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt , here is that SeTechnic contest webpage translated into English: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-res&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.setechnic.com%2FForum%2Ftopic3138.html&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate . There seemed to be many different interpretations of the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig done by various AFOLs. NOTE: You can use Yahoo! Babel Fish to translate the original French text to your own native language; there are many to choose from. :thumbup:

Without a doubt the pneumatic one is the winner for me! It's fantastic.

I think it is smaller in some parts due to the fact that studded models where usually an even number of studs wide whereas studless is usually an odd number of studs wide.

That is pretty good. :thumbup: I would like to see some other sets done like this. I did see pictures of the 853 Car Chassis done studless. That was really cool. :sweet:

That is pretty good. :thumbup: I would like to see some other sets done like this. I did see pictures of the 853 Car Chassis done studless. That was really cool. :sweet:

And where did you see that studless-853 model?

Love to see it too!

Sorry for the reviving of this thread; but the question on the latest Lego-survey made me think....

It's surely cool :thumbup: , but original was another thing :wink: .

I agree there. I do wish TLC would re-release some of the old great sets, like the 8868, 8880, 8480 to name a few. I think they would sell well, but TLC seems to be shying away from studded technic, and I have no idea why ( perhaps studs and holes incurred higher cost due to the added complexity of the moulds? I have no idea to be honest) and I love the stuff :wub:

If lego sold the pneumatic one today I would buy it! :classic:

Even though 8868 is indeed one of the most awesome lego sets ever, it often sells for a very reasonable price on eBay. With a little bit of patience you can probably get one for less than $100.

Even though 8868 is indeed one of the most awesome lego sets ever, it often sells for a very reasonable price on eBay. With a little bit of patience you can probably get one for less than $100.

I already have an 8868 - but I would love to have one brand new MISB at a respectable price :classic:

I agree there. I do wish TLC would re-release some of the old great sets, like the 8868, 8880, 8480 to name a few. I think they would sell well, but TLC seems to be shying away from studded technic, and I have no idea why ( perhaps studs and holes incurred higher cost due to the added complexity of the moulds? I have no idea to be honest) and I love the stuff :wub:

I'm glad that LEGO is not this retrospective, but keeps improving and inventing.

8868 was cool when it was released (I remember when it came out in my younger days), but now it is *o*u*t*d*a*t*e*d*.

I'm looking forward to the Unimog coming out - and finally putting this antique to rest...

Edited by cbt

I kinda think the Unimog (IF it has a compressor) is the new 8868, except with improved complexity. Although the 8868 is one of the best sets of all time, it's only drawback was that it was lacking in gears, and it's compressor only used half the single pumps stroke (I hope the Unimog has a better compressor), but still complex and the first set to my knowledge to have 4 motorised functions powered by one motor, no problems with performance either :wink: Awesome!

... the first set to my knowledge to have 4 motorised functions powered by one motor ...

What about 8258 Crane Truck?

I'm glad that LEGO is not this retrospective, but keeps improving and inventing.

8868 was cool when it was released (I remember when it came out in my younger days), but now it is *o*u*t*d*a*t*e*d*.

I'm looking forward to the Unimog coming out - and finally putting this antique to rest...

Why is it outdated ? I love the look of it, and its took TLC 17 years to catch up with similar functionality with the 8258. I don't understand why people dislike things purely for their age. Its a very capable set even today :classic: - but I think we all hope the Unimog beats it whilst also using pneumatics :thumbup:

What about 8258 Crane Truck?

AllanP said the first set, the Air Tech Claw rig was released 1992 :wink:

the first set to my knowledge to have 4 motorised functions powered by one motor

You want to check out 8480 Space Shuttle from 1996.

One motor with a gear box that let's you choose between:

* Red blinking lights in the shuttle's engines (pretty lame).

* Opening the cargo doors.

* Raising the crane.

* Rotating the crane.

A polarity switch let's you reverse the old style 9V motor.

Another polarity switch controls the little red 9V motor in the satellite to fold open it's solar panels.

There's no way TLG would reissue these old set's that don't use PF, and in my book that's a good thing. Especially the old style 9V motor is pretty weak. The little red one has major issues with binding and is impossible slow, but it's still a neat little motor.

A set that I would love a reissue of is 5571 Giant Truck. :wub:

A set that I would love a reissue of is 5571 Giant Truck. :wub:

I fully agree, Tobbe - reason being that I need these wheels rather badly for some studless Technic Truck MOC'ing.

And Light Bluish Gray would be juuust fine with me.