Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes

Brickshelf: "Certified" Viking Hall

Ahhhhhhh screw thumbnails! Lets see if it'll fit in thread...

vikinghall_001.jpg

Awwwwww... Aint that a cute viking house!

I happen to have an ADSL Modem now... Actually it has ADSL Modem Router written on it. But anyway, it delivers Internet to me at much higher speeds so now I can post the larger images and make modem users suffer! Just like I suffered when I had a 56K modem!

Anyway Mr Hobbes, I find this MOC looks somewhat Cartoonish, what are your thoughts on it?

I happen to have an ADSL Modem now... Actually it has ADSL Modem Router written on it. But anyway, it delivers Internet to me at much higher speeds so now I can post the larger images and make modem users suffer! Just like I suffered when I had a 56K modem!

No wonder you're here even more often...

Anyway Mr Hobbes, I find this MOC looks somewhat Cartoonish, what are your thoughts on it?

I think it deserved its prize.

Yeah, now that I've got ADSL I never have to worry about being disconnected so I just leave the computer running with Eurobricks open. So I can just jump on whenever I'm near the computer and write a few comments.

But as for this MOC. I think it looks cartoonish in the sense of early to mid 90's computer games, particuarly graphic adventures like Gobliiins and Kings Quest. Well that's what it reminds me of anyway.

Does anybody know what the brown statue thing is that's sitting atop of the rock in the water?

But as for this MOC. I think it looks cartoonish in the sense of early to mid 90's computer games, particuarly graphic adventures like Gobliiins and Kings Quest. Well that's what it reminds me of anyway.

Hmm... maybe we have a different notion of cartoonish. It looks "just" like a very nice LEGO creation to me...

Does anybody know what the brown statue thing is that's sitting atop of the rock in the water?

Probably some nordic god... or some poor viking who stood too close to the sewerage outlet, got drained in mud/dirt/cr@p/whatnot, and "petrified" over time...

Actually I meant what is it made from? Is there a brown mini-figure or is it made up from brown pieces or is it not even LEGO? Close ups would be great but there doesn't appear to be any.

Actually I meant what is it made from? Is there a brown mini-figure or is it made up from brown pieces or is it not even LEGO? Close ups would be great but there doesn't appear to be any.

Helmet - Indian.

Head - Lando Calrissian backwards, or TIE Pilot.

Torso - Chewbacca and others.

Neck accessory - brown cape, Blacksmith Shop.

Legs - standard brown legs.

That's what I see...

Edited by Bloody Jay

That's quite impression Mr Bloody Jay, you sure know your parts! What do you think of the MOC as a whole?

This won in the Viking category in CC3, you know. That guy builds some awesome stuff. Just check his BS folder...

No way, that looks like an authentic Viking hall.

Heck, the first thing I thought when I saw that was "OMG BEOWULF"

Good work :)

No scratch that, GREAT WORK :)

Could we get a picture of an authentic viking hall? I'm about 99.9% certain they're not made out of LEGO...

Cartoonish?

No more so than any other MOC I've seen. LEGO has a certain 'simple' asthetic to it. Its unavoidable.

And lets be honest, this MOC puts the majority of MOCs out there to utter shame. Martin Jaspers is easily one of the best Castle builders around. His attention to detail, and his ability to use bricks in new and innovative ways is rarely surpassed. It's probably safe to say that nobody posting in this thread (myself included of course) comes close to Martin in terms of building talent.

Later.

I love the whole thing *wub* The snow, the way the steep hill is made, everything! So detailed...hm, any idea why the island the statue is on is SNOT instead of a more normal way?

Add this to the long list of MOCs I have seen that made me want to cry in shame for my inadequacy, and hide in my basement so no one can see how pitiful my attempts are by comparison.

I should give away my Lego to someone worthy.

What is nicest about this one is its simplicity. The vikings spent much of their time in a stark icy land (at least in my mind), and this reflects that. It is harder to make something impressive that is "looks" simple, than to make it impressive with a bazillion greebles.

*y*

Cartoonish?

No more so than any other MOC I've seen. LEGO has a certain 'simple' asthetic to it. Its unavoidable.

And lets be honest, this MOC puts the majority of MOCs out there to utter shame. Martin Jaspers is easily one of the best Castle builders around. His attention to detail, and his ability to use bricks in new and innovative ways is rarely surpassed. It's probably safe to say that nobody posting in this thread (myself included of course) comes close to Martin in terms of building talent.

Later.

Looking cartoonish isn't a bad thing! Why would it be a bad thing in the first place? If I could post pictures of the buildings I'm referring to then many simalirties them and this MOC could be observed. However, given the computer games pre-date Windows 95 I probably couldn't run half of them and if I could I couldn't press the convenient Print-Screen button to make a screen capture like I can with recent computer games.

There is abosolutely nothing wrong with this MOC, its very well done indeed, but coincidentally it has characteristics reminiscant of computer game graphics from the early 90's. In advetrantly it seems to be tapping into a drawing style from the past that's no longer common and that something I like about this MOC for it acts as an anchor point to positive nostaglic memories. I think much of the catalyst for this nostaglic reaction can be attributed to the roof... The roof looks like the rooves from the building in those computers games.

Of course this is all subjective so if no-one else thinks this MOC looks cartoonish in the sense of early 90's graphic adventure computer games which causes warm fuzzy memories to come flooding back when looking at it, then: TOO BAD!!!

I like the guy shovelling snow... though I think that path way looks a little too steep, especially if it has ice and snow on it... 8-

OHhhhhh... What a BEAUTIFUL MOC....

It's just so wonderful... I don't know what other to say that's not already been said...

Just keep on building man... and give us MORE!!!! Pleaseeee.....

greetings from Serbia

His work is all brilliant and I want to reach this level of Castle skill. I don't have much more to say as this MOC was discussed to death after winning on CC.

God Bless,

Nathan

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought upon seeing the snow slopes was "VIKING SKI LODGE!!!!"?