Sign in to follow this  
LegoDad42

New LEGO Store, Queens NEW YORK!

New LEGO Store just opened up at the Queens Center Mall in Elmhurst, Queens New York.

Had a great day with my son at the store (we went the 3rd day of it's opening) and got to see some wonderful models and diorama's :wub: built by the LongIsland LUG folk headed up by native New Yorker 'notenoughbricks' (Brian).

Everyone at the store was so pleasant, helpful and just plain fun...and a special thanks to one of the store managers, Joe for making it such a special day for me and my son with some fun builds, especially the custome mini-figs, LEGO games and just a great run-down of the infamous Pick-A-Brick Wall! Great way to start a Father's Day weekend.

I've posted over 50 pics of the store and the diorama's over at Flickr! Here' the link... LEGO Store Queens New York!

Also of note is that there will be a Grand Opening Ceremony and Build July 9th - July 11th in which kid's can help a LEGO Master Builder with an 8ft(?)Tall R2D2! If you're in the area...come on down to that! Should be a fun time... :classic:

Needless to say, it was my first time at an official LEGO store so my son and I were so stoked!!! :wink::grin:

I was actually planning to head down there sometime soon, although I was unaware of the fact that it was already open!

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your son, especially if it was your first visit. The displays are quite impressive, and I really like how some of them embrace the cultural diversity found in the Big Apple. But we mustn't forget about that packed Pick a Brick wall :laugh:

But all-in-all, the store seems like it has a very pleasant and friendly atmosphere.

Thank you for sharing your experience and pictures with us :classic:

I was actually planning to head down there sometime soon, although I was unaware of the fact that it was already open!

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your son, especially if it was your first visit. The displays are quite impressive, and I really like how some of them embrace the cultural diversity found in the Big Apple. But we mustn't forget about that packed Pick a Brick wall :laugh:

But all-in-all, the store seems like it has a very pleasant and friendly atmosphere.

Thank you for sharing your experience and pictures with us :classic:

Thanks R8...yeah, they opened about a week ago (I believe the 17th) just to get prepped, ready and to hype the Grand Ceremony July 9th-11th. By the way...love your MoC's! :thumbup:

The Rockefeller Center store is now open. Everything's still a bit messy right now, and the prices are a little higher than usual for some sets, but it's worth a look. They have a good stock of the collectible minifigs currently (three or four boxes but there's no box so it's hard to tell), but that's probably only going to last for a day or two.

Just added 7 more pics to the LEGO Store Queens New York set. I included pics today of the Monthly Mini-Build Watermelon Slice and a couple of pics of the Exclusive Spaceman Magnet Mini-Fig. It's an excellent figure on a real cool printed tile, magnet base.

Here's the link to the set (scroll down to the last 7 pics which are the new ones)... Watermelon Slice and BONUS Spaceman Magnet set!

Edited by LegoDad42

UPDATES for the LEGO Store, Queens Center Mall.

Hey All...

Just wanted to update everyone on the activities this past month (Aug. 2010)at my local LEGO Store.

Following the spectacular Grand Opening...in case you missed it here's the link... LEGO Store Queens Center Mall Grand Opening!

August was another fun filled LEGO month with...

- Another Monthly Mini-Model Build (a Seagull) in which over 150 kids attended!

- A Hubble 3D Building Event which had the first 30 kids who MOC'd their own spaceship/vehicle received an IMAX Hubble 3D Poster and a voucher for a free IMAX ticket ($19.00 value)!

- A LEGO Club Meeting...World Racers theme in which the kiddie's MOC'd their own race vehicles, got free World Racers mini-figs, an exclusive 'It's Rally Time!' World Racers t-shirt, a large grab bag of bricks, stickers and a $5.00 off LEGO coupon!

- Plus the early release of Series II MiniFigs!!!

All in all another great LEGO month. I've posted over 40 new pics on Flickr! LEGO Store Queens August 2010 Updates!

In this set the new pics are the last 48 pictures.

DSCN3047.jpg

DSCN3072.jpg

DSCN3055.jpg

DSCN3046.jpg

Finally, I went to new york for a holiday expecting to find a LEGO store but was shocked to find no such store existed. Must pay it a visit.

Finally, I went to new york for a holiday expecting to find a LEGO store but was shocked to find no such store existed. Must pay it a visit.

There's one at Rockefeller Center in NYC which opened the end of June and just about a 30min. subway ride to Queens is the Queens Center Mall's LEGO Store(Opened mid/end of June with their Grand Opening early July).

FYI - The Rockefeller LEGO Store has their prices about 10% higher than the Queens store. The Queen's store also has a small section for kits with dented boxes for about 10%-20% off (for those that don't care for a mint box...great for parts!) while the Rockefeller store has a larger Pick A Brick Wall (supposedly the largest PAB Wall for any LEGO Store).

***NEW*** SEPTMEBER UPDATES for the LEGO Store, Queens Center Mall.

Once again, another fun filled month at the LEGO Store this September!

Here's the recap...

- September Monthly Mini-Model Build (Boy with backpack/school bag-a Back to School theme) in which (again)over 150 kids attended!

- Wonderful and nicely printed Harry Potter book covers were given out to customers who make a $50.00 purchase.

- September LEGO Club Meeting...Hero Factory theme in which the kiddie's MOC'd their own Hero Factory robot, got free an exclusive Hero Factory t-shirt featuring a cool Preston Stormer graphic on the front, a large grab bag of Hero Factory parts (they had a choice of taking home their MoC or the Grab Bag), stickers and a $5.00 off LEGO coupon!

- 2 Exclusive Lego Club Duplo bricks (these were supposed to be given to customer last month with a $35.00 purchase but now were given to the kiddie's at the Club Meetings and any children with their parents making a purchase).

- Plus customers who purchased the Motorized AT-AT got an additional 25 VIP Points added to their card.

I've posted over 45 new pics on Flickr! LEGO Store Queens Center September UPDATES!

(In this set the new pics are the last 49 pictures or so.)

DSCN3223.jpg

DSCN3281.jpg

DSCN3231.jpg

DSCN3241.jpg

DSCN3248.jpg

DSCN3257.jpg

DSCN3279.jpg

DSCN3267.jpg

***NEW*** OCTOBER UPDATES for the LEGO Store, Queens Center Mall.

Busy, fun and exciting month at the Queens Center Mall LEGO Store this past October. Here's the link. It's the last 48 pictures that are NEW for October.

OCTOBER LEGO Store Updates/Events/Activities

Lot's of activity....so much that went on, I'll break it down...

- October Monthly Mini-Model Build (Frank, Frankenstein's Monster) in which (once again)over 150 kids attended! This was an especially fun event. Had a convention like feel. Besides the fun of watching and helping my kid with his Mini-Model, it was a chance to hang out for a bit with LongIslandLUG President and good friend Brian (notenoughbricks)and his lovely wife Hope, fellow LILUG member and great mini-fig. customizer Vic (eclipseGrafx)who brought down some of his custom figures and proto-types too. Great looking figs! And also got to meet (along with my son who loves his Space Police work)and chat with David Pagano (of course of Paganomation!)Very nice and humble guy and was nice enough to accept one of my sketchbooks. With such a large crowd there is was a great day! :thumbup:

- LEGO Universe launch event (didn't purchase the game so missed out on the exclusive mini-fig and 'rocket-ship' they gave out if you purchased that day). Still want to see if it's worth it in the long run for my kid. :sceptic:

- October LEGO Club Meeting...Star Wars theme in which the kids MOC'd their own Star Wars Bounty Hunter vehicle, got free an exclusive Star Wars t-shirt with a Wampa 'Have you Seen Me' graphic on the front, grab bag (about the equivalent of a small PAB Cup), standard LEGO Club Max sticker and a $5.00 off LEGO coupon ($35.00 minimum purchase to use coupon). :vader:

- Free Star Wars Key Chain with $35.00 purchase. Your choice off the wall. :yoda::classic:

- MiniFigure Speed Building Event. Winner takes home all 3 figures he or she builds the fastest amongst the other kids. Though every kid that participates gets a free mini-fig. We lost, but it was still fun and got a free mini-fig. out of it :sweet:

- Free LEGO Universe stickers given out on Halloween along with some candy treats for the kiddies. Missed out on the sticker but still got the treats! They ran out so fast yesterday. :sad:

- VIP double points month! Good month to have racked up the points even though I missed out big time on one particular purchase when I bought the Motorized AT-AT in September when they offered 25 extra VIP points. If I'd known I would've waited and gotten 258 points outta' that ... :hmpf:

- Great to see Hogswarts Castle displayed nicely. A great looking and high on playability set. Plus the London Tower Bridge is quite impressive seeing it up close. Also picked up some of the Halloween themed mini-models. Good little sets for the young ones and are great for Halloween treats.

Check out the pics if/when you can on my Flickr stream. My link Or check out some pics below... :classic:

Another fun-filled month!

DSCN3475.jpg

DSCN3487.jpg

DSCN3389.jpg

DSCN3397.jpg

DSCN3515.jpg

DSCN3456.jpg

DSCN3507.jpg

DSCN3512.jpg

***NEW*** NOVEMBER and DECEMBER Updates for the LEGO Store, Queens Center Mall.

OK...hope everyone is having a joyous holiday season and having fun with their Advent Calendars. So far the Kingdom's Advent Calendar hasn't disappointed. Great mini-figs and quite a few weapons to help ring in Xmas with the glory of battle!

I missed my November update but since there were no LEGO Club Meetings for November (and December either), I'll combine my LEGO Store, Queens Center Mall updates below.

I've updated my Flickr set(It's roughly the last 75+ pics added with the MMMB Builds, Christmas themed items, even Pharaoh's Quest kits came in early so, as usual, a busy 2 months)...here's the link... NOVEMBER/DECEMBER LEGO Store Updates!

Plus here's a link to the January 2011 Store Calendar. An incredibly busy month ahead so take a look. NinjaGO is in full force beginning the New Year! LEGO Store Calendar JANUARY 2011

Breakdown of November and December Store happenings...

- November Monthly Mini-Model Build, Turkey Dinner (w/all the trimmings :wink:)I missed this build due to work and voting (it was on Election Day)so I couldn't make it in time but was lucky enough to have a friend get me the model so we didn't miss out. I heard the usual 150+ kids made it. A very nice looking model(check it out on the pics below) but the only thing I heard was that the Turkey itself was partially built so the kid's didn't get the full experience of building it. They wanted to move the line faster I guess.

- Free Court Jester set(7953)with $35.00 purchase.

- Free Pick A Brick Box (beautifully painted Xmas graphics all around) with a $75.00 purchase. It's roughly the size of a small PAB Cup. You can't fill it till after Xmas. Between December 26th and March 31st 2011. But I did see people already filling it up so it's not a hard, fast rule.

- Kingdom's King's Castle kit purchase got you an extra 50 VIP Points.

- Black Friday Sale! Upon bringing your items to the counter you get a scratch card with either 10%, 20% or the lucky 50% off your entire purchase. I heard only two 50% scratchers were available at each store. Alas, I got only a 10% one, but hey, it helped with the tax, plus cashed in some VIP Points so all my items came in at roughly 50% off. And yes, I was one of the nuts waiting for the store to open at Midnight! Overall there were some nice 20% to 30% off kits around the store and damaged box sales too!

- LEGO Universe Rocket Ship was for sale as well(pricey at $9.99). You don't have to pick up the game to get it. Note, the game is already 50% off now (wait long enough and I suspect it'll be free eventually).

- December MMMB build...a lovely little Christmas Tree in the snow with presents. This looked like a 200+ turnout. And (just like in November), the build had the tree and presents already built so the kids decorated it, added the star and put it on the base. It's great to give out these models but my son, plus many others, were disappointed that they couldn't build the whole thing. It's too simple for what was left to build and took some of the fun out of the challenge.

- 50% off Lego Robo Champ Game when you purchase any 2 games.

- Free NinjaGO stickers were given out! See pic below.

- Get an extra 50 VIP Points when you purchase the Imperial Flagship.

- And again this month, with $75.00 purchase you get a Pick A Brick Box. Comes in a nice envelope too.

Finally, of note, my store has started a LUG Showcase in which local LUG members can display their MOC's every couple months or so to promote their own LUG's as well as their talents. Was proud to see good friend 'noteenoughbricks' display his 'Fireplace at Christmas' MOC. It's in their LUG Showcase all this month! Way to go Brian! I hope to be collaborating with him on the next one.

MERRY XMAS TO ALL...Have a happy and healthy holiday!

Peace...

DSCN3653.jpg

DSCN3703.jpg

DSCN3728.jpg

DSCN3662.jpg

DSCN3686.jpg

DSCN3676.jpg

DSCN3688.jpg

DSCN3725.jpg