Sariel

PF Arm, with Lego Education WeDo parts & software

We've been talking about the WeDo kit for a while, which prompted me to move my lazy butt and to make some use of mine. So, with two USB hubs, 4 motors and the official WeDo software I did this:

1.jpg

As usual, the full description is here: http://sariel.pl/2010/06/pf-arm/

And the video here:

I hope it sheds some light on the pros and cons of the WeDo system.

Love it. Until 3/4 through the video my thought was "nice, but you could have done exactly the same with a couple of pole reversers, but by combining several steps/functions in a single program you can actually take advantage of the software - really nice.

It's a very nice application of WeDo, and shows how much you can do with it. I for one would be interested in getting my hands on one of those kits, and I'm not even a MOCer!

However, I'm always a bit puzzled about the speeds that can be achieved in MOCs like this one. Is it possible to make them quicker somehow, without losing precision nor stability?

At this weight and size not really. If something that heavy starts and stops quickly, the stability suffers.

I saw this posted on your website, and am really interested. I only have 1 wedo hub. Couple of things,

1) How do you find the lower power output as the hub runs at 5v? (or around that)? I am amazed your laptop did suffer with 4 motors on

2) I only used the Wedo software once, looking at your video (had no sound at the time) can you make loads of mini programs and fire them off with key combination?

1) How do you find the lower power output as the hub runs at 5v? (or around that)? I am amazed your laptop did suffer with 4 motors on

2) I only used the Wedo software once, looking at your video (had no sound at the time) can you make loads of mini programs and fire them off with key combination?

1. The motors apparently run slower, but no problems other than speed. My netbook's battery was drained largely, indeed.

2. Yes, you can even launch multiple programs with the same key.

1. The motors apparently run slower, but no problems other than speed. My netbook's battery was drained largely, indeed.

2. Yes, you can even launch multiple programs with the same key.

Thanks for the replies mate, at some point we going to need to chat (email probably). I like to show you some of the stuff I got planned for a large show.