Superkalle

LDD 4.0 to be released in September

Some official information from LEGO:

=====================

Dear LEGO Fan,

By September 2010 LEGO Customization and the LDD team presents LEGO Digital Designer (LDD) 4.0 with many new, cool features.

As a part of the launch Design byME will also introduce an update of the opening page in LDD.

The new opening page will include more starter models than today and we’ll also introduce three different “completion levels” of the starter models. By introducing the completion levels we hope to make it easier for the less experienced builders to use LDD. The users can the choose starter models from “Just begun”, “Halfway” and “Finished”. Each level offers different challenges whether the user just want to change colours, add-on or built from almost scratch.

To get a wide variety in the types of models we hereby invite you to help creating starter models for the new Design byME opening page.

We need models in the following categories which you can freely choose from:

Animals, Buildings, Fantasy, Places, Space, Vehicles (and Other).

To honour the new concept of “Completion Levels” we ask you to save and deliver the creations in 3 .lxf files (the LDD file format) – one for each level (ie. named: Car 1, Car 2 and Car 3).

Before launching in September we’ll select the models that will be part of the new opening page.

The designers of the used models will be credited on http://www.designbyme.lego.com.

We hope that you are interested in taking part of this opportunity and look forward to receive your models by email (jacob.agertoft@lego.com) before August 1st 2010.

All the best and happy building,

The LEGO Design byME team.

==================

Please note that they are not saying anything about which palette they want the models to be based on, but my guess is the very limited DbM palette.

I guess if you are doing something nice for the LDD contest, you can also sent that to LEGO, but don't forget then to strip it down to only the bricks in the DbM palette.

So we just make something for one of those categories, save it at three stages, post it here and you'll email it off to them? Sounds good! :classic:

I guess LDD4 won't be too different if an LDD3 model will look normal on it; unless they'll change it to LDD4-style.

And will they not pick models that contain old colours that won't be on the palette? Never mind. I see you've edited that in afterwards. :wink:

Edited by ADHO15

at no point did it say "more robust parts list" or "numerous bug fixes". I'm a little worried.

at no point did it say "more robust parts list" or "numerous bug fixes". I'm a little worried.

Don't worry. From what I hear there will be more parts, a lot of bug fixes and some additional "really cool features".

We'll see default_classic.gif

EDIT: And don't forget this is a request from the DbM team at Lego, not the LDD team, so when the press release comes out for the new LDD version, it will hopefully contain a lot more info.

Rememeber when there was an 'animate' button in view mode to make your trains move?

Unfortunately, the current LDD lacked this feature! :sad:

I hope LDD 4.0 will have the animate function...

Rememeber when there was an 'animate' button in view mode to make your trains move?

Unfortunately, the current LDD lacked this feature! :sad:

I hope LDD 4.0 will have the animate function...

What would be even more awesome is if there were just a generic "real life" function that would animate trains, plus offer different lighting options (turn out the lights for GitD!). We can only dream...

But anyhow, I might give this a shot. I'm not particularly creative, but I can surely come up with something. And it'll be nice to be doing something productive with LDD.

Can't wait till 4.0!

Me, I hope they improve the building instruction generation so you can tweak it more (or so it will produce better BIs with the parts being added in more of a logical order than they are now)

Gear animations FTW! But what i really wish for is more parts.

Maybe the PF motors could be able to animate too!

Maybe you could add smoke, or steam to simulate a real-life steam train for example!

That's what the old "animate" button did. There were special versions of certain parts (like the 2x2 dome, for instance) that would emit steam when animated. While I doubt that's coming back, from what I've read (and seen from recent E3 disclosures), certain parts in LDD will have special functionality in LEGO Universe.

I agree that one of the best additions they could make function-wise is a "trial" mode where you could use gear functions and other action features to test them out. But I also doubt that's coming anytime soon-- it'd be just too complex, especially given how unlimited the number of parts that can be used for such functions is.

Hi,

about gear animation like real life model there is at least one application that is already offering that functionality from more than one year.

It works with gears, racks, differential, universal joint and many other parts.

You can build working steering system and many other mechanism.

Have a try with SR 3D builder.

That's what the old "animate" button did. There were special versions of certain parts (like the 2x2 dome, for instance) that would emit steam when animated. While I doubt that's coming back, from what I've read (and seen from recent E3 disclosures), certain parts in LDD will have special functionality in LEGO Universe.

I agree that one of the best additions they could make function-wise is a "trial" mode where you could use gear functions and other action features to test them out. But I also doubt that's coming anytime soon-- it'd be just too complex, especially given how unlimited the number of parts that can be used for such functions is.

NICE !!! :D

There isnt any Classic !!!

I wanted the Classic Space Ships, Classic Castle, Classic Trains, those were the most fun (for me) :D...

Example :

Space : BoxNr: 497 : BoxNr: 885 : BoxNr: 918 : BoxNr: 928

Train :

BoxNr: 7750 : BoxNr: 2126

And many more... :)

Edited by NecroViolator

Rocket Surfer

This is the start of my entry into the design by me. Was thinking of using this as the first stage but not sure if its too much detail.

Feedback please!

rocket_surfer_01.jpg

rocket_surfer_02.jpg

:thumbup::thumbdown:

Rocket Surfer

This is the start of my entry into the design by me. Was thinking of using this as the first stage but not sure if its too much detail.

Feedback please!

:thumbup::thumbdown:

I think it is too detailed. I think they are looking for vehicles and houses and other stuff that will fit in to Lego city (no Sci-Fi, I don't think. Just look at present starter models :wink:)

I think they are looking for vehicles and houses and other stuff that will fit in to Lego city (no Sci-Fi, I don't think. Just look at present starter models :wink:)

In this case LEGO is actually interested in a wide assortment of starter models in various categories (as is actually stated in their press release above if you read it carefully :wink:)

Regarding the model Shroud, I'm not sure the model will hold together if you build it with physical bricks (I'm thinking of the two long bars that meet under the Minifigs feet. They only hold on with a single stud there).

Yea its not hard to strengthen just wanted to put it out there to make sure I'm on the right track

Yea its not hard to strengthen just wanted to put it out there to make sure I'm on the right track

Well, in that case you might have something going here Shroud :classic:

I like the way you used those whips.

I got an email back from the entry i sent in and they were quite happy with it :cry_happy: on to the next step!

Well the first one is finished and submitted here`s the start of the next one:

Rocket Shark Chariot

rocket_shark_chariot_01.jpg

Well the first one is finished and submitted here`s the start of the next one:

Great to see you're at it again. Lookin good. The only thing I'm thinking is that the model seems kind of fragile. If kids want to order the parts and buld thing it would break up in the first swoosh....

Just my 2 cents.

I hope LDD 4.0 will have the ability to let you adjust certain elements (e.g. pneumatic cylinders) and add a rope or hose to certain types of elements too!

Yea i was hoping for chains and they would be on all of these models.

@Superkalle: Being level one model its designed to be built on top of by kids, the next levels will strengthen it. I did ask the same question myself though and emailed it to Jacob, the person taking the submissions for LDD. Easy fixed though :thumbup:

Rocket Surfer

rocket_surfer_03.jpg

rocket_surfer_04.jpg

@Superkalle: Being level one model its designed to be built on top of by kids, the next levels will strengthen it.

OK, I see. But I don't think that's what TLG is asking for. They want the finished models, as well as two precedign stages. And besides, it's not that easy to strenghten the models the way you've done them without spoiling the overall sleakness and coolness. So maybe you wan't to finalize the models a bit more before posting here? Just my 2 cents.