Dragonator

General Discussion and Announcements

Thank you for the welcome, Dragonator! :)

As a reminder, the deadline is in 2 days, so there's not much time left unfortunately, if anyone here wants to go. Sorry about the short notice.

On 4/21/2019 at 8:48 PM, Hinckley said:

I am thinking about it. If I'm not available I can definitely contact some folks.

Hi @Hinckley

It seems no one else is volunteering. There is exactly one spot open in this year's Championship.

You'd be able to pick between these two start dates:

GAME 6 (MAY 27, 36-HOUR DAY PHASES/12-HOUR NIGHT PHASES, 10 PM EDT EOD)

GAME 10 (JUNE 10, 36-HOUR DAY PHASES/12-HOUR NIGHT PHASES, 8 PM EDT EOD)

And game will likely last around 2 weeks.

Is this something you'd be interested in? :)

I have an incredibly busy Summer as I start a new contract and will be swamped May through July and won't have the time. I, unfortunately, do not have the time and nobody else has volunteered.

@fhomess @mostlytechnic @Zepher @Dragonator @def @Bob @Chromeknight @Khscarymovie4 @mediumsnowman @KotZ @Trekkie99 @Kristel @CMP Um... others? Drawing a blank at the moment...

Anybody interested in representing us in the Mafia tournament?

@Thingyman

Only one slot, BTW.

1 hour ago, def said:

I nominate fhomess:thumbup: 

I concur.

Wow... I'm quite flattered by that.  Unfortunately, I don't believe I'll have the time to commit to this and properly represent the site.  I would add @Lady K to the list of folks who would be excellent.

I haven’t looked at this mafia site, but likely it’s standard rules where a day and night is 24 hours total, so a game lasts about a week.

The invitation said to expect to read up to 600 posts a day.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:26 AM, def said:

I haven’t looked at this mafia site, but likely it’s standard rules where a day and night is 24 hours total, so a game lasts about a week.

There are these options:

12-hour day phases, 12-hour night phases

36-hour day phases, 12-hour night phases

48-hour day phases, 24-hour night phases

72-hour day phases, 24-hour night phases

And indeed, you should expect around 600 posts per 24 hours, for the first few days at least.

Hopefully someone will be interested in stepping up :)

9 hours ago, Thingyman said:

There are these options:

12-hour day phases, 12-hour night phases

36-hour day phases, 12-hour night phases

48-hour day phases, 24-hour night phases

72-hour day phases, 24-hour night phases

And indeed, you should expect around 600 posts per 24 hours, for the first few days at least.

Hopefully someone will be interested in stepping up :)

Sounds like a really good set up. If I wasn't so busy with work I'd be in.

The proposal has just been sent! This theme's going to be a bit off beat, but I hope it's enjoyed!

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

The proposal has just been sent! This theme's going to be a bit off beat, but I hope it's enjoyed!

Can you copy me and @fhomess on the proposal? I know @Dragonator has been pretty busy lately. Things might happen a bit more quickly if you cc us.

7 hours ago, Hinckley said:

Can you copy me and @fhomess on the proposal? I know @Dragonator has been pretty busy lately. Things might happen a bit more quickly if you cc us.

Sure, I'll get right on it! :thumbup:

st_mafia_banner_2.png

Coming soon, the latest gimmick in the latest line of gimmicks. 

Separate from this, I am also thinking of hosting a mystery game. I know there hasn't been one in about...seven years. The last one was Suburbia, which I hosted. I think the only people that are still active today that have played in mystery games are myself, Hinckley, and maybe Sandy. Zepher too, but he seems to have vanished again. I'd only host the game if there was enough interest. Before people express that interest, understand that it is a bit commitment. Mystery games are much different than mafia games. A standard mafia games lasts about a month, sometimes six weeks. Your standard mystery can last anywhere from four to six months, during which time you're expected to be active constantly. That's just one difference. There's often times no characters leaving either. So, you can see why they've somewhat fallen out of favor. 

So, signal below if there's any interest in a mystery game, and I'll bring it forward for approval. Or sort of ask for approval here as well. Or if nobody is interested then not even bother!

I'm up for a mystery game. I'm active in a LARP once a month during the weekend, but other than that I should be able to be fairly active. :thumbup:

Six months?! Damn. If it starts in late summer or early fall then yeah I might be available. 

You damn well best believe I'll be playing Star Trek mafia!!! :wub_drool:

I've always wanted to play one of these but sadly won't have the time in the next few months.

As a sort of FYI. Not only does it take months for the game to play out, this will take months to plan.Particularly if I want it to be any good. (My previous mystery games were lacking a bit and were not as well thought out) 

I remember the mystery games fondly, although they were always a huge commitment. Back then I seemed to have all the time in the world... :blush:

We were actually talking about organizing a story-focused roleplaying game at the Heroica subforum just a little while ago. So it would be a similar concept as the mystery games of yore, with people making choices and solving problems.

The idea seemed to gather some interest, so you should definitely give it a go, Bob! :thumbup:

Mystery games should not take months. Some of them just did. The key is hosting. I did two rambling mysteries. If I had setup the map and the puzzles better, they would've run more smoothly. I used a different type of informed minority game for the second game. In my opinion, mystery games should run like escape rooms, but be a series of rooms instead of a series of puzzles in one room. There's no reason it shouldn't take the same amount of time as a Mafia game if the players invest a bit of time to solve each puzzle or series of clues.

I heard from Bob that he won't be able to host Star Trek 2 anytime soon.  At the moment, there aren't any games in the queue, so if you have interest in hosting, please contact Draggy, Hinck, and/or myself.

35 minutes ago, fhomess said:

I heard from Bob that he won't be able to host Star Trek 2 anytime soon.  At the moment, there aren't any games in the queue, so if you have interest in hosting, please contact Draggy, Hinck, and/or myself.

:devil: Well now that you mention it...