Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

Caterpillar 385C Front Shovel Excavator

1.jpg

Datasheet:

Completion date: 11/06/2010

Power: electric (Power Functions) / pneumatic (fed from internal compressor)

Dimensions (with the arm in ‘resting’ position): length 80 studs / width 28 studs / height 35 studs

Weight: 3.5 kg

Suspension: pendular bogies

Propulsion: PF XL motor geared down 9:1, through a subtractor

Motors: 2 x PF XL, 6 x PF Medium, 1 x 71427

Large model of a front shovel digger from Caterpillar. It uses 9 motors, 6 linear actuators and a bit of pneumatics. I designed it for a public display, which basically means that it had to be immune to the devastating curiosity of little creepy monst... erm, I mean kids. Built under four weeks time, it proved to be my most functional excavator model and a successful beans strewer. There are links to every possible material on it attached below, including pics, more pics, a video and a description, so without a further ado let me just point you to whatever your pick is:

Brickshelf gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=434851

Brickshelf WIP gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=434852

Video: (a bit longish one, my apologies)

Full description: http://sariel.pl/2010/06/caterpillar-385c-front-shovel-excavator/

Edited by Sariel

As always, Sariel has made a magnificent TECHNIC creation. His willingness to share it with the public helps advance the hobby. The attention to detail has inspired many other TECHNIC AFOLs. Thanks, Paul! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As always an amazing MOC. That bucket is seriously sexy and the elevating cabin is a stroke of genius. Shame about the busted gear wheel though.

looks fine if the Drivers Cab is not lifted up. But in my humbly opinion a liftable Cab makes not sense with a short working range of a Loading shovel excvator and the German Caterpillar says the 385C have no lifting system for the cab. was that your own idea? And the engine is a little bit oversized: the original have a 18,1Litre I6 engine.

In the Video ist to see that the Turntable needs help to rotate the superstructure. Is the Back to Heavy?

Edited by efferman

This is insanity of the best variety. To say "I want one" is a profound understatement. Sariel is a talented builder, but his biggest vice is in so blatantly encouraging covetousness in others. :pir-tongue:

in my humbly opinion a liftable Cab makes not sense with a short working range of a Loading shovel excvator and the German Caterpillar says the 385C have no lifting system for the cab.

You're right as far as the 385's regular version goes. However, Caterpillar offers demolition kits for many of its excavators (385C included), which consist of a long reach arm and lifting/tilting system for the cab. Here are some examples:

bv000006.jpg

301.jpg

Caterpillar-330CL-UltraHighDem,c7346eee.jpg

Obviously my version is not a demolition-ready one. I just liked this feature and wanted to include it anyway.

And the engine is a little bit oversized

I think it's completely unrealistic. It wasn't meant to be, by the way, and the description explains why. If you follow the respective link, I'm sure it will answer many of your questions.

In the Video ist to see that the Turntable needs help to rotate the superstructure. Is the Back to Heavy?

I damaged the gear that rotates the superstructure. This is my error, I should have used a worm gear for it. Again, the description covers this issue extensively.

The choice of the Automatics as a musical background shows great taste. The MOC aswell.