Sign in to follow this  
jonwil

LDRAW: Help making building instructions

You can use Lego Digital Designer (LDD) to generate the Building Instructions, since it has the ability of importing LDraw files. Open up LDD, start with a new (blank) baseplate, and use this computer keystroke sequence: File --> Import --> [navigate to the location of your LDraw file on your computer, then use the dropdown menu on the bottom-right corner of that window to select the "LDraw-Files (*.ldr)" option]. Your file should now open in LDD.

If there are any parts not supported by LDD, or are not connected, you'll get a message.

Once your model has been placed atop of the LDD baseplate, on the top-left menu, select Tool Box --> Generate Building Guide, or (alternatively) you can select the "Building Guide Mode" button at the top-right corner. You have now produced Building Instructions. To make them available in PRINT FORM for those without LDD, go to Tool Box --> Generate HTML Building Guide. It will create a folder which can be copied onto your computer. Make copies of that folder for others to build your model. :classic:

Folks with LDD can just use the "live" Building Guide Mode, because they can ZOOM IN and out, rotate the model to see things better, etc. Static HTML Building Guides are not quite as useful because you're stuck with just one perspective and zoom level.

I would look at using Lpub4. In LDraw, you add steps into the file. This may mean re-arranging the order of the pieces a bit. Then, you open it Lpub4, which can use a tool LDView to the render the images in a higher quality. In lpub you can add call-outs, parts lists, more than 1 step per page, choose page orientation, etc.

I managed to get the file imported into LDD after massaging the ldraw file and then manually adding missing parts in LDD (havent been able to get the minifig in there plus its missing the decoration for the white printed tile so I substituted with another printing)

But the building instructions LDD generates are not very good. Is this just how LDD generates building instructions or is there some way I can massage the lxf file (e.g. moving parts around in LDD) to get better building instructions?

I would try lpub but I cant get it to work on my machine for some wierd reason.

Any tips to get some decent building instructions (either from the lxf file or the ldraw file) would be appreciated.

I would also like to produce a parts-list (ala the one in most LEGO instructions) for this, is there a way I can do that?

bus.zip

I don't know any way of manipulating the LDD .lxf file to alter the Building Guide Mode's instructions. Sometimes LDD creates instructions that have steps that add bricks in an illogical order. What I mean is, sometimes LDD's building instructions add ONE TIRE to a wheel, then jumps to adding a brick to the chassis, and then goes back and adds the second tire to a wheel. Human builders would concentrate on building the chassis completely, THEN adding all of the tires to all of the wheels (without jumping around).

Don't give up on LDD, since the "LDD Manager" ( http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41993 ) is excellent for generating a Parts List. It's easy to use, and saves LOTS of time. :thumbup:

Edited by dluders

I would look at using Lpub4. In LDraw, you add steps into the file. This may mean re-arranging the order of the pieces a bit. Then, you open it Lpub4, which can use a tool LDView to the render the images in a higher quality. In lpub you can add call-outs, parts lists, more than 1 step per page, choose page orientation, etc.

I second that! LPub is right now the best choice in my opinion to produce high-quality instructions. It requires a little trial and error, so make a back-up of your file first! But once you master it, wou wil be very satisfied!