Bonaparte

Major board upgrade

:thumbdown: New board update better not say what im thinking, but if it aint broke dont fix it, and the old board wasnt broke.

...says the guy who wasn't maintaining the board. Among other things the old board was too easy for spammers to get in and it was wasting oodles of our time keeping the board clean. Besides, Invision are withdrawing support so we have little choice.

Cheer up! This isn't our first major upgrade, nor will it be the last. There was more problems last time and now people see that one as the "old" board. I still remember how much trouble that one gave us. Ahhh... bad times.

If you log out and try to get a new post from email notification it takes you to the first page of the thread.

Why log out? I never do. This isn't a board issue; it's a browser one. We had similar problems last time.

OMG, I just realized that when you quote a picture it doesn't display the picture again, just the url.

YES!!!!!

EDIT: nevermind, my post was just screwy. default_sceptic.gif

Why log out? I never do. This isn't a board issue; it's a browser one. We had similar problems last time.

Because when you use secure deletion to clean your internet files and cookies you get logged out, and its not a browser problem, when ever i clicked a link from email from the old board i never got sent to the first page, its only since the upgrade that being logged out and trying to get to a new post takes me to the first page.

I'm sorry, DarthSion you've contracted a bad case of They changed it, now it sucks. Give it a few days you'll get used to it.

The only thing I think should change is the banner at the top of the site, The red login/profile box is over takes about a third of the space,

Edited by simonjedi

Because when you use secure deletion to clean your internet files and cookies you get logged out, and its not a browser problem, when ever i clicked a link from email from the old board i never got sent to the first page, its only since the upgrade that being logged out and trying to get to a new post takes me to the first page.

I access EB on IE and Opera from several computers... and an Android phone. Several staff members use Firefox. I have no problem staying logged in and neither do they. Browser problem or not, it's still a local issue.

The only thing I think should change is the banner at the top of the site, The red login/profile box is over takes about a third of the space,

That we can't do without a major board edit. Besides; the banner is just that. I think it's a good use of what would be wasted space.

I preferred it not being there too, but the admins discussed the issue and it was decided to do it if we can implement it without having to edit every skin. I looked into it about an hour ago and I found an easy and neat way to do it.

Seemed like the vote was pretty split on this. I prefer the pinned topics separated, especially with the way they're being used on EB (mainly for indices), so I'm glad that's implemented. :classic:

Cheer up! This isn't our first major upgrade, nor will it be the last. There was more problems last time and now people see that one as the "old" board. I still remember how much trouble that one gave us. Ahhh... bad times.

The first time I logged on to the new board, my first impression was... "hmmm, so this is it?". But that was only for a few minutes. I really like all the improvements and new functions. Some style issues (relative font sizes, etc.) were quickly resolved and I'm already fully accustomed to the new board. You admins have really done some excellent work over the past week. :thumbup:

That we can't do without a major board edit. Besides; the banner is just that. I think it's a good use of what would be wasted space.

No problems whatsoever with that little box. I can imagine it being more intrusive on very small resolution screens, but you can't keep fully tailoring for those forever. Skins developed in the future can undoubtedly better take the existence of that box into account. The newly developed Technic and Action Figures banners already have less 'content' on that side of the banner.

Thanks staff for adding the pinned topic lines. :thumbup: It is much appreciated.

I access EB on IE and Opera from several computers... and an Android phone. Several staff members use Firefox. I have no problem staying logged in and neither do they. Browser problem or not, it's still a local issue.

thats the point, using secure deletion removes cookies so you dont stay logged into any site, but never mind.

I love that the pinned topics are now separate from the others, like before :sweet:

thats the point, using secure deletion removes cookies so you dont stay logged into any site, but never mind.

OK. So what do you want me to do?

Just noticed now you can actually find topics through someone member page. Nice!

This board does media differently; post the link wrapped in "media" tags and it'll work.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz6bF8HikIM[/media]

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what exactly is the whole profile comments thing? Are they supposed to be like testimonials about the person or things like a hey how are you kinda thing. :look:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what exactly is the whole profile comments thing? Are they supposed to be like testimonials about the person or things like a hey how are you kinda thing. :look:

No rules; use them as you want. Just don't let them become a spam fest. If you don't like the feature you can disable them.

...that is unless you want some rules? :devil:

I've been quite happy with the upgrade, and the look of the site has improved with the tweaks since it went live, but I do have one minor complaint. When watching a topic with the old board I was able to get only one email per topic that was updated since I last visited. Now I'm getting one for each post, which is quit a spam fest for some topics. I dont want to switch to daily digest because I log on a few times a day and that would not really meet my needs either.

I realise there may be little you can do since it's core board functionality, but this change is a backward step.

I've been quite happy with the upgrade, and the look of the site has improved with the tweaks since it went live, but I do have one minor complaint. When watching a topic with the old board I was able to get only one email per topic that was updated since I last visited. Now I'm getting one for each post, which is quit a spam fest for some topics. I dont want to switch to daily digest because I log on a few times a day and that would not really meet my needs either.

I realise there may be little you can do since it's core board functionality, but this change is a backward step.

The option is still there. When subscribing to a thread you can choose "daily email digest" which is a once daily email with all the new posts. It doesn't matter how many times you visit, you still only get one email a day.

If you want the board to email you after you leave that a post us been made, but then Waugh, you want it to wait for a few more posts? How many? How is the board supposed to know. The option you are set at is the only one that will give you immediate results.

This board does media differently; post the link wrapped in "media" tags and it'll work.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz6bF8HikIM[/media]

Very nice! This makes things easier :thumbup:

The option is still there. When subscribing to a thread you can choose "daily email digest" which is a once daily email with all the new posts. It doesn't matter how many times you visit, you still only get one email a day.

If you want the board to email you after you leave that a post us been made, but then Waugh, you want it to wait for a few more posts? How many? How is the board supposed to know. The option you are set at is the only one that will give you immediate results.

You've clearly not understood the difference between the old functionality and the new.

The daily digest is no good to me because it only tells me once a day, and since I checkread Eurobricks more often than that I may as well just check the forums.

The current thread watch is different than the old one. Since it emails every time a thread is updated I'm getting about fifteen emails for some busy watched threads between visits, and the slowly updating threads are getting lost in the spam. I easier to just check the forums.

The old one would email only once if a thread was updated between my visits, so my mail box would have one email per updated thread, and none if there were no updates, which would save me the hassle of checking the forums.

I hope you cans see the difference, and appreaciate the fact that the old functionality served to clearly notify me in a convienient place (that I check often over the day) of new posts, and saved me the hassle of checking when their were none. The new functionality doesn't do the same job, and is not really doing any job well, because it's easier to turn it off and just hit the forum index. I'd describe that as a bit of a fail in functionality, as it doesn't meet my needs anymore. In fact I can only see it as worthwhile if you have your email open all day which is not the case with me since I have to go out and work on occasion.

I just noticed that the Community Forum has gone funny.

It now says "IP Board" rather than Eurobricks and it doesn't have a link to the Frontpage?

It now says "IP Board" rather than Eurobricks and it doesn't have a link to the Frontpage?

And fixed. :thumbup:

I'm debugging an issue with Invision support and we had temporary set the default Invision skin in the community forum to try something. Nothing to worry about :thumbup:

You've clearly not understood the difference between the old functionality and the new.

Sorry, I was just trying to help, not win some kind of battle.

This is great! I've always loved Invision Power Board, it's the best forum software! I'm glad you're using the latest version now! (I'm the admin of a forum, we use IPB 2.2.2, yours is much better now!)