Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi648

Power Function Lights question

traintech1.jpg

I'm in the process of planning out a single-car subway train and I want to install a Power Function light on it for the exterior. The car itself is about 62-studs long and I need just one light on the front and one on the back. The power source is in the center of the car so each of the two lights will have to go around 30 studs from the battery to the light on the train. For those who need a visualization:

() <---> [] <---> ()

() light

<---> 30 stud wire length

[]power function battery box

Now my question is, would one set of lights be able to make it that far to each end, or would I have to order two sets with extension wires? Thanks.

traintech1.jpg

Now my question is, would one set of lights be able to make it that far to each end, or would I have to order two sets with extension wires? Thanks.

Probably not. My Hymek loco is 48 studs long and the lights just reach to each end.

Mark

traintech1.jpg

I'm in the process of planning out a single-car subway train and I want to install a Power Function light on it for the exterior. The car itself is about 62-studs long and I need just one light on the front and one on the back. The power source is in the center of the car so each of the two lights will have to go around 30 studs from the battery to the light on the train. For those who need a visualization:

() <---> [] <---> ()

() light

Probably not. My Hymek loco is 48 studs long and the lights just reach to each end.

Mark

Extension wire is 8" = around 20 cm long = 25 studs not 30! But lights themselves have wire witch is around 25 studs long and that adds up to 50 st. Therefore in my opinion Two extension wires will be enough.

traintech1.jpg

() <---> [] <---> ()

() light

I would use only one set, and simply make the wires longer. Cut the wire to one of the lights, strip the wire, insert some additional

wire in between, and connect again. Make sure to connect in the right way because with LED light it matters which side is plus

and which side is minus.

Saves money and electricity.

I would use only one set, and simply make the wires longer. Cut the wire to one of the lights, strip the wire, insert some additional

wire in between, and connect again. Make sure to connect in the right way because with LED light it matters which side is plus

and which side is minus.

Saves money and electricity.

One PF light brick will stretch to 48 studs long between the two lights, but not 62.

An easy and pure LEGO way to do it is to cut one LED wire and use single or double 12V plugs on the wire ends.

You can push 1/0.6 bell wire into the centre of the 4-lobe pins to add extra length.

Alternatively, the lowest current "chocolate block" barrier strip connector would do.

Yes, the polarity matters for the LED twin cable. It matters too for the 4-way PF cable the other side of the 2x2 block.

The block contains a bridge rectifier, so the C1/C2 polarity would not matter, but there is a connection to the 0V line and no connection to the +9V line so that would matter. Circuit diagram.

I wish making a red/green signal whose aspect depended on polarity (like the 12V one in 7860) were as simple as reversing one LED, but unfortunately this won't work!

Mark

I have one question concerning PF Lights.

I just bougt it but when I conncet the wire of PF ligts to the RC reciever it doesn't work.

It works only when I conncet the PF Lights directly to the battery box. Is it normal ? Has soomeone had the same problem ? I have 2 PF lights and 2 RC recievers and it doesn't work in any case

You could always use the fibre optic cable from Exo-Force sets to carry the light over the extra length rather than pay for extension cables and an extra set of lights.

Edited by scruffulous

I have one question concerning PF Lights.

I just bougt it but when I conncet the wire of PF ligts to the RC reciever it doesn't work.

It works only when I conncet the PF Lights directly to the battery box. Is it normal ? Has soomeone had the same problem ? I have 2 PF lights and 2 RC recievers and it doesn't work in any case

PF lights should work when attached to the IR reciever and come on/off when you turn that channel on/off. If you use the train remote then the brightness of the lights will depend on the speed setting for that channel.