CopMike

D2C Designers requesting feedback for 2012 models

1) A combination of both factors.

2) Individuals - for me there is no continuity between the sets in the World Icons series. Some of them interest me, but others have less meaning to me.

3) a) The Colluseum, b) Edinburgh Castle, c) York Minster

4) Something like the mediaeval market - a pirate/kingdoms harbour, or a Space moon base/research station. Or definitely a zoo!

Thanks!

I like the world icon sets but i would really love to see something in the way of underwater sets. These sets would not just be things like Atlantis or Aquazone but more like coral reefs and shipwrecks and other famous things under the sea. Another idea would be to make more world icon sets but in ancient times, stuff like the Colossus in Rome, the giant statue of Zeus that used to stand in Greece, the hanging gardens of Babylon, and the seven wonders of the ancient world.

post-11231-1276028139.jpg

I have yet to buy any of the sets, but only because of limited funds and prioritizing other themes, not out of lack of interest, so I hope my answers here are useful as I do want these sets. My responses, just in case:

1. I would buy these sets partly as parts packs - I don't consider any of my models "permanent," whether from LEGO's official designs or my own, but instead take everything apart after a while and use the bricks in other creations, but may rebuild the original models again after a while. However, my primary interest in the World Icons sets is the models themselves, as I already have lots of bricks anyway. I think these models are beautiful, and a great way to help non-fans get an idea of what can be done with LEGO elements beyond the sorts of models most people are more familiar with.

2. I would buy all of them if I could, but at present I have yet to get any of them, though I half-expect to get the Taj Mahal soon. I do appreciate some of these models more than others, even though I like them all. The "individual" option best fits me here, though I'd put "whole" if I'd had the money to collect the whole line from the beginning.

3. Any of various Mayan ruins, like those at Palenque or Tikal (which would surely have additional appeal for LEGO Star Wars fans ;) ). My personal ideal interpretation of this would be not just a single individual structure, but a large layouts on baseplates, with several distinct structures at a given site accurately positioned relative to one another. I would be still be delighted with a single iconic structure, though.

4. If and when the Indiana Jones theme resumes, a large train set in that theme would be a great "ultimate set" for the theme, with the added bonus of appealing to Trains fans as well. The Dunn & Duffy Circus train (from the "young Indy" prologue of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) would be the obvious choice, but any of the numerous trains from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones would be absolutely wonderful and much appreciated. I know those might seem a bit esoteric, but I know I'm not the only Indy fan who'd love them. My ideal Indy train set would be a large set with complete instructions and "extra" parts to build any of two or three or more different Indy trains. Alternately, if not a train then a large Grail temple.

If not Indy, I'd like some sort of new Space set in the classic style (ca. late '70s / early '80s) - something that looks like a large set that might have been designed during that era but never released, and was just "rediscovered" in LEGO's archives. ;) Crater plates would be a serious bonus (new grays or not)!

5. I'd also like to see the return of monorails (in Space, Town, or whatever other theme(s) could make use of them), continued releases of civilians in City (for all those police and firefighters to rescue ;) ), and as much use of printing instead of stickers for element decoration as possible. And as indicated, I want to see the Indiana Jones theme picked back up (don't forget, next year is the 30th anniversary of the Indy series!)

Edited by Blondie-Wan

1. Yes

2. Individual

3. Voelklinger Huette or Ludwigskirche

4. Please bring back: Adventures or Indiana Jones!

1. No

2. Individual

3. Something colourful.

4. Modular Castle style village. Much like the modular City Corner buildings, Lego could slowly release the components of a Medieval Village:

- Blacksmith

- Inn

- more houses

- town green

- the Mill House

- medieval farm

- Lord's Manor

5. My only suggestion is to incorporate more throwback minifigures and models. The Kingdoms line is a great update for those for are getting nostalgic about their Crusaders and Dragon Knights from yesteryear. The Blacktron torso in the Raid VPR Space police set is another example.

Kids will buy the sets regardless, but it's a great bonus for AFOLs to get an updated version of, say Ice Planet, or Forestmen minifigs, even if they're not the focus of the set.

1. No I buy them for how detailed and marvelous they look.

2. Whole

3. I would like to see the White House.

4. Well as we are getting a Space Shuttle for its retirement in 2010, I would like to see a Saturn V (in the same scale as the 2010, 10213 Shuttle Adventure) in 2012 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the final Apollo moon landing mission. :wub:

5. I would really like to see more space themes similar to Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron, and M-tron. Also a new space monorail would be nice.

Thank You for your time TLC. :classic:

1. Yes, I buy them because they look really nice on my cupboard.

2.I buy individual products such as the IFS because it is could for play value and just to admire.

3. Buckingham palace or York minster (we really need a LEGO Cathedral)

4.A historical pirate ship, such as Blackbeard's ship. :knight:

5. Atheme based on actual history, like the 18th century ships and buildings, including lots of chances for army building like bluecoats and redcoats.

Answer these questions:

1) Yes, both for their look and parts

2) Individual sets, except the late "model" theme from which I bought them all, and the present "modular" buidings

3) - The Sphinks, because it would be a massive sculpture in TAN bricks

- The leaning tower of Pisa

- A cathedral or a castle

4) - Trees, trees, trees... Big trees made out of pieces. Tree packs (like one cone tree, one fruit tree, one oak tree) TLC made good greenery packs back then, why not do that again but this time with BIG trees, flowers etc.

- A big Volvo truck with semi-trailer (18 wheeler) like seen at Legoland parks

- A Delorean like in "Back to the future", like seen when the Beetle came out

- A rerun of YODA would be awesome

- A rerun of the giant minifig, but in different themes, with different hats

5) - TREES AGAIN...

- Train wagons, especially for the Emerald train, modern passenger train cars, or modular cars (like the Santa Fe)

- About the technics, I like the new ones, but all models are flimsy. Older models were so much sturdier. (I.E. the Space shuttle, with all kinds of interesting functions. Please can we see models other than with wheels! Could be models which are totally invented (not inspired by real life)

A crazy contraption multi-functional (based on GBC) Etc.

- New pneumatic pistons (different lengths, double extended pistons, etc)

- more of modular buildings (AWESOME LINE!)

- How about "girl Lego" More belleville or paradisa revamp

Something else I would like to see done is a set with the detail of the Emerald Night but of a typical American style locomotive such as a 4-4-0 or a 4-6-0 (the kind you see Back To The Future 3 or all the old cowboy movies).

Done right it would satisfy all the people asking for a "western train" and could feature some cowboys in the passenger car.

1. No.

2. Only specific models. As much as I would like to collect the whole series of a specific theme I do not have the financial means to do so.

3. I would love to have a Petronas Twin Tower UCS set simply because I live in Malaysia and that building is near where I work :tongue: Maybe 2000 pieces per tower and another 500 for the shopping mall next to it?

I also would like a UCS Taipei 101 or UCS Burj Khalifah set too!

4. - Technic - A fully remote controlled rough terrain crane

- Modular building - A bank with ATM machine, banking hall, office and a large safe (a bank in Lego City is loooongggg overdue).

-City- a large port set like 6542 Launch and load seaport with large brick-built ship, container crane, dock, container trucks, forklifts, guardhouse all scaled up to fit the new 6x12 containers.

5. I would love to see the return of a monorail set like Airport Shuttle, Futuron monorail in the early 90s. Maybe TLG can create a new compatible track and motor system using the power functions? Have 1 large set with the monorail and 2 stations and with sufficient add-on packs for tracks, supports and other items. The demand for the monorail is there, as shown in the earlier posts as well as the City2010 thread.

Also, have more variety in the City theme, such as more civilian buildings like hospitals (long overdue, can be made as a modular building too!), a bank, a post office, petrol station with car wash, restaurant, car showroom, car park (like Metro Park and service Tower) and many more. A city isn't really a city when there are so many fire-stations and police stations. :tongue:

I really would like the return of the Nautica theme which was introduced in 1991. A few set ideas; a large container port, a ferry terminal, a large ferry, a hovercraft, coast guard, speed boat, oil tanker, oil rig, pilot boat, lighthouse, yacht club, speedboat club etc. We can have a large roll on roll off ferry which can fit a few vehicles and comes with a few decks for rest and recreation.

I would also want the return of the M-tron space theme which uses alot of magnets. Retain the same color scheme (red with luminous yellow windows) and make a large Galactic Enforcer type flagship.

Edited by CopMike
Questions removed for easy viewing

1. No

2. Usually only specific models

3. The Notre Dame cathedral would be nice

4. A large detailed castle with lots of figs

A huge steampunk airship :cry_happy:

5. A steampunk theme would be great! Also I would like to see something cyberpunkish. A new fantasy theme possibly...

1. I have never bought these sets, yet I did buy a lot of Modular Buildings. Since I am not a huge moccer, the overall result is more important than the parts included. Yet I do like parts in rare colors.

2. I don't have the ca$h to buy all models, so I mainly go for the biggies

3. Chrysler Building, Centre Pompidou, Tower Bridge, Atomium

4. I am a huge fan of Technic and would love a BIG Technic Exclusive like a very detailed supercar. When I was a child I never had the money to buy the big Technic sets I wanted most. Now most of these legendary sets are sold out. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a Classic Technic Sets line, also since in 2012 Technic is 35 years old. I'd love to be able to buy sets like 8448, 8880, 8455, 8480, 8868. It would also be a great idea to include one Classic Technic Set in each year's line-up.

5. Thanks for listening to us AFOLS!

1. Yes, for both reasons

2. Mostly individual models, but sometimes a whole series, especially in the CITY theme.

3. The Sphinx. This is something very iconic and easily recognizable and lends itself easily to minifig scale.

4. An UCS Castle or Super Star Destroyer would be great.

5. Add more to the CITY line, we have the postal plane and truck but no Post Office. We have a Cargo Plane but no Cargo Center, a whole bunch of Construction vehicles but no Public Works. The CITY theme also needs a bank, this would be a great idea for the next modular building. A new PF monorail wouldn't hurt either. . .

1. No

2. Individual appeal

3. No oppinion

- UCS casstle

- UCS cathedral

- UCS AT/AT

- Module to connect laptop (or PC) directly (without PLC brick) to sensors and actuators, therefore not depending on batteries and possibility to have more I/O ports

5. Roman and Greek theme

1. No, I don't buy large Lego sets for their parts; I buy them specifically for the creations shown.

2. I buy specific models (mostly TECHNIC) for their specific appeal; I don't buy a complete year's worth of TECHNIC just to complete an entire collection.

3. The next World Icon would be the "Millennium Eye" Ferris Wheel (from London, England), made with primarily TECHNIC pieces. It would appeal to fans of many different Lego themes. It would use a Power Functions XL motor to turn the big wheel.

4. I'd like to see a TECHNIC "Super Car III" model, complete with Power Functions motors for driving and steering, full suspension, moving V-8 or V-10 piston engine, and gullwing doors. It's been TOO MANY YEARS since the original 8880 "Super Car" (from 1994) and 8448 "Super Street Sensation/ Super Car Mk II" (from 1999) were released.

5. TECHNC fans know that TLG's Nathanael Kuipers (and others) have FANTASTIC sets that have not been released. If you consider that TLG has "Sold Out" of all TECHNIC flagships sold in the past few years, one can see that there is GREAT DEMAND for a "D2C" TECHNIC set! A "Super Car III" set is way overdue!

lego_logo_0805_6fe.jpglogo_technic.jpg

1.) Big lego sets are not a large parts pack for me

2.) whole

3.) Niagara Falls

4.) Model team, big Scale, Flight of the Pheonix Airplane. Both Versions. The freighter could rebuild in a diorama to the Single engine Rescue plane.

5.) i pray for a Big 3 Axle Tractor Truck with 81.6x27 S Truck tires

Edited by efferman

Direct to Consumer (D2C) Designers requesting feedback for 2012 models, take your time and add your wishes :sweet:!

BUT keep to what they´re asking for in structured way as shown below, and then in the end add what else you might want to add :devil: !

Answer these questions:

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Yes/No
  2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? Individual/Whole
  3. What would you like to see as the next World Icon?
  4. What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see?
  5. The rest of your input not answered above!

Dealine is Thursday June 10th so hurry, hurry :grin:!

1) No

2) Individual

3) A huge space shuttle, very detailed inside and out, with launch tower and moving platform.

4) A UCS PNEUMATIC TECHNIC BACK-HOE

5) Many of my wishes are new elements for Technic (particularly pneumatic). Not sure if direct has the capability to produce new parts but I would love to see:

longer pneumatics cylinders (twice as long as the current ones, a range of lengths would be even better like a really long one used for telescopic booms and forklifts and such),

new motor pump that could be stacked in a more efficient way (imagine being able to have 8 motor pumps in the same space as a technic v8 engine, and also looking like an engine!),

more gearbox parts (synchromesh gears in a range of sizes and gear change elements allowing more durable, realistic and efficient gearboxes so that, when motorised, most of the energy from the motor is transmitted to the wheels and not wasted on overcoming high levels of friction in the gearbox),

More powerful PF motors with much less internal gearing (there is no fun or challenge in having the gearing down done for you inside the motor),

These and many more idea can be found here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?...st&p=678328

Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’?

No. I might if they WERE amazing parts packs (like the Statue of Liberty), but they typically aren't. They typically offer a smattering of wonderful parts, but are largely made up of things I don't need.

Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme?

Individual. If the sets were all under $100, I might consider it for completeness's sake, but they're not.

What would you like to see as the next World Icon?

Something cool :)

Taj Mahal - Awesome.

Eiffel Tower - Lame. It was too pixelated for my tastes (that is, it looked too much like it was all rectangular bricks, rather than looking smooth)

Statue of Liberty - Kinda weak model (again, very pixelated), but provided a wealth of sand green.

Other ideas:

- Sydney Opera House

- Empire State Building

- Mont Saint Michel

- London's Tower Bridge

- Notre Dame Cathedral

- Tower of Pisa

- Parthenon

- Et Cetera.

What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see?

- Dinosaur skeleton?

- A working (spinnable) globe?

- Spirit of St. Louis plane?

- Grandfather Clock?

DaveE

1. Yes.

2. Whole series - particularly if the mini-figures are unique in the sets.

3. Parthenon - preferably as it was in it's glory days rather then today's ruins (Include some Greek figures and I'll buy two!)

4. A big spaceship - it's time LEGO made an official non-Star Wars spaceship of over 100 studs in length! Preferably a civilian cargo transporter or an exploration ship with lots of equipment for new planet exploring on board!

5. It would be nice if S@H sets came in a larger variety of price points, sometimes I'd love to buy a smaller adult aimed set (around $50ish) that concentrated on interesting building techniques, some new elements and where I end up with a beautiful display model (that I actually have room to display)! It won't stop me buying the normal retail sets, but might get me buying some more S@H models instead of computer games - I more often have $50 free to spend at the end of a month then $300!

1) No

2) Individual

3) Too many to choose From! Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Cathedral (any or all! Notre Dame Paris, St Basils (Red Square Moscow), St Pauls London), Coliseum, Parthenon, Sydney Opera House, Golden Gate Bridge, Empire State, A Castle (done as a model not as castle theme), A Chinese Pagoda/palace....

4) More Technic! infact Anything Technic! Perhaps a Big version of 8288 as a model not a toy.

5) More Ultimate sets From Different Themes! My preference an ultimate Technic Set! Perhaps an ultimate castle set (maybe a bigger village?) maybe an Ultimate town set ie stadium (Perhaps minifig Football Players (and keyrings?) to sell at club shops?).

P.

1 - no

2 - specific

3 - something that is more than 'just' a building: sliding doors, an elevator, working automatic stairs.... gadgets to make it stand out.

4 - Technic UCS set: the ultimate Pneumatics set using both large and small cylinders in large quantities, motorizable, logic control.... or a real Supercar UCS with all the extras.

5 - the medieval market village 'theme' would make a great addition to kingdoms in much the same way city now finally has houses and not only police, firebrigades and mailmen.

Edited by Jetro

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Yes/No

I dont buy those sets due to limited budget, but if I would, it'd probably be 50% for parts 50% for model

2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? Individual/Whole

N/A because of my answer to #1 Of the three models mentioned, the Taj Mahal is in my opinion by far the most interesting as a model.

3. What would you like to see as the next World Icon?

I'd love to see the Belgian Atomium, mainly because of the interesting building techniques that would be needed.

Other ideas: Guggenheim Museum, Sydney Opera House, Sagrada Familia, Bank of China, a sports stadium, ...

4. What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see?

Anything ultimate Technic; but I'd love to see a Technic supercar using the studless building system that's now usual in Technic. A Technic set like the Dinosaur of the 8485 Control Center set would be very interesting too.

Oh, and any supercar done in the style of the 10187 Volkswagen Beetle (and the other models that didn't make it, that are displayed in the back of the instruction booklet of that set). Preferably the Lamborghini Countach.

Technic needs large truck wheels. NOT balloon tyres!! I mean actual truck wheels, like those on 8421, 8285 and 8258, but larger (say around 10 or 11 stud diameter).

My other gripe about Technic is the limited availability of colors. Nearly all sets are yellow or red, especially flagship sets. There's all the parts you need in blue, lime and white (except maybe a few special parts like panels) but they're hardly used (sets with blue or lime usually only have very few such-colored parts). This makes it very difficult to collect parts in those colors.

Also, more different Technic sets. Not just cars and trucks, try something different (like the aforementioned Dinosaur). It 's also long ago that a good Technic helicopter or ship has been released.

Edited by Erik Leppen

1. no because I like sets that come withmini figs

2. indvilul because some sets are to exprinivse

3. the great wall of china or the Colosseum.

4. I would like to see the big britsh fort for the pirates theme.

5. how come you are discoutine the pirates theme. :classic:

1. No

2. Depends on the theme, usually individual

3. A cathedral or a really detailed castle

4. Same as three

I would really like to see the return of pirates and the expansion of kingdoms.

Direct to Consumer (D2C) Designers requesting feedback for 2012 models, take your time and add your wishes :sweet:!

BUT keep to what they´re asking for in structured way as shown below, and then in the end add what else you might want to add :devil: !

Answer these questions:

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Yes/No No
  2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? Individual/Whole Individual
  3. What would you like to see as the next World Icon? Sydney Opera House
  4. What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see? Technic Supercar with powerfunctions and RC. I think the one item many Technic builders would like is a power functions servo motor for controlling steering, transmission changing, polarity switch movement etc. A stronger differential and universal joints would also be a welcomed addition.

Dealine is Thursday June 10th so hurry, hurry :grin:!

Edited by Tony1970