CopMike

D2C Designers requesting feedback for 2012 models

1. No, I actually don't buy these sets though might in the future.

2. Mostly for the appeal, though if it is a cheap set and will compliment one that I have or offers a lot of minifigs I will be tempted to get it.

3. The working Big Ben idea that was posted previously would be *amazing* and would definitely be a great showpiece.

4. A huge castle. 15+ minifigs. It would be huge, it would be detailed, it would take a solid month to build. It would be awesome.

5. I would love to see a greek or even roman theme, heck you could throw in mythology elements even for some opposition. Ever picture a LEGO trojan horse? Hoplite minifigure? How about a kraken? Zeus minifigure or Apollo? SO MANY POSSIBILITIES! :classic:

1. No - I buy them for the models

2. Individual appeal

3. Sydney Opera House / Sydney Harbour Bridge / Something Egyptian (Sphinx etc)

4. A full monorail set for the City Theme, or an Ewok Village for Star Wars

5. More "everyday" buildings for the City theme: banks, shops, schools, a Zoo, parks / playground, circus

I would love a licensed theme with Transformers!

An articulated and/or double decker bus for City

A monorail for City

Expansion of the tram from 8404

Some landscape packs (eg hills, trees, cliffs etc) for those of us not clever enough to MOC them

A new road plate with a bus-stop bay (like the old service station plates)

A new "roundabout" road plate

A new "cul-de-sac" road plate

Town accessories pack (benches, bins, post boxes, traffic lights, signs, street lights etc)

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’?

NO

2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme?

Whole

3. What would you like to see as the next World Icon?

Not interested.

4. What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see?

I'm all about the castle theme. As for a castle UCS, I'd LOVE to see one. Going the 10188 Death Star route, I'd love to see a huge castle with detailed interiors and a sound, defensible structure. Going the 10193 MMV route, I'd love to see a grand tournament with a stone entry gate, stands, jousting wall, practice equipment, and loads of accessories and minifigs including civilians, royalty, and knights & squires with barded & armored horses from factions exclusive to the set.

5. The rest of your input not answered above!

Would completely love to see a steampunk theme. Also, more civilian castle sets.

1. No

2. Individual appeal

3. "Den lille havfrue" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(statue) in copper, including the stone etc.

4. I'd really enjoy a continuation of medieval market village! A baker, chapel, a mill or something similar. Castles we have (or build ourselves), but the houses in the village would be great!

5. Really enjoy the cafe corner, green grocer etc. Backdrop extraordinary and what an inspiration, and something I can enjoy showing off - impresses child and adults alike ;)

Hi everyone, as you may see i'm new around here, but i'll come back later i'm just in a bit of a hurry cause my LUG (PLUG) has an event starting in like 2hours and i'm still waiting for my ride lol.

1- No, i dont use the parts they have, usually because they are not the colours i use. Plus i dont have money to waste in a collection, so i really just dont buy them lol.

2- I buy specific models because of their individual appeal... never for the theme... specially because i buy mostly Technic and Creator so they dont have much of a connection to the other models.

3- Great coral barrier reef... now theres a challenge for ya =P Fallingwater designed by Frank Lloyd Wright would also be cool (An architectural icon of the XX or XXI century of some sort)

4- i dunno... something that stands out... personally i think the last ones have been kinda boring... they look nice... but they dont feel new...

5- You guys do all the same ordenary stuff... you need to start throwing in some extraordinary... i'll give you 2-3 examples: City/Creator houses and most vehicles... they look like everything everyone looks at... they always look the same. Modern architecture has came so far from the old squared houses, but you guys dont evolve... type in modern architecture on google and do a bit of research... try to push kids imagination even further. Same goes for the vehicles... go into ludicrous places if you have to, make a 6 wheel car if you have to. There are some gorgeous concepts out there that redefine and challenge our preconviced ideas of what a car (and etc) should look like, take the awesome looking Peugeot Flux Concept as another example... You have so much stuff around the world that you can take design cues, you need to find yourselves a new muse =P

Hope you like and use my small input =)

1. No. I don't buy these sets due to cost (and because I only buy Space Lego now) but if I did it would stay built and not be used for parts.

2. If I bought any World Icons set it would be because I like that particular one, not because I collect them all. I do however collect all space sets including the ones I don't really like.

3. Some ornate palace/castle/cathedral it's all the same to me, I wouldn't buy it anyway.

4. A massive ship, spaceship or castle full of minifigs.

5. New monorail for space! New (or revisited) civilian space subtheme (but not down-town Coruscant resembling - real space like the subthemes of old ie pre 1997).

Thanks for asking!

1 - Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’?

Never bought one, because they're not cheap and I'm more interested in Technic though I like Creator as well. I suppose that if LEGO had an iconic building of my country I would buy it.

2 - Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme?

I'm more interested in some specific sets, in some way because of the appeal, but mostly because of the parts and what I could do with them, or the improvements I could make to the set.

3 - What would you like to see as the next World Icon?

Atomium

4 - What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see?

CERN. Maybe with fiber optics simulating a particle travelling along LHC

5 - The rest of your input not answered above!

I´d like to see a LEGO Technic set of an hexapod like the John Deere forest walking machine or a "walking excavator" like Menzi Muck A91

I'd like to see in the City/Creator area, a really great set of a windmill or a lighthouse.

Edited by Mortymore

1. No

2. Individual

3. Conwy Castle , Chester (UK) City Centre, Charles Bridge (Prague),

4. Tudor mansion, medieval or 19th century town, medieval farm, cathedral, victorian house, more modular buildings, landscapes (european forest with animals, fjord, huge tree)

5. I'd like more plants and leaves and new animals like deer (both sexes), roe deer, brown bear, bison, fox, badger, beaver, wild boar, lynx, elk/moose, red squirrel, falcon or hawk, eagle, pigeon, stork, heron, pheasant, partridge,

More historic, fantasy and adventure sets, less contemporary and futuristic. More buildings, less vehicles.

1. I buy them for the amazing structures they represent

2. Individual Appeal for some others it is the whole theme

Forth Rail Bridge

Concorde

A monorail

or A Handley Page Victor

both in minifig scale

I love the work you guys do, it makes building lego fun however when building the creator sets as well as the sets like the statue of liberty the instructions make it very hard as you cannot see exactly where the pieces go and what peices are required, if you could do it the same way as technic sets or city sets it would be alot better

I would also like to see these sets

Town/ City

a lego store

A research vessel

other theme

Wall-e

Edited by danim

1. No, usually because they are good models, I only own the Star Wars statues

2. Individual

3. London Eye

4. A life size human or some massive technic mode?

5. I would love to see a really large scale engineered technic set to the same sort of scale as the millennium falcon (e.g 5000 parts). Also I would like to see more ships, love the new pirate one. Oh and the return of monorail!

Edited by Burf2000

1. The World Icon series do not offer enough play value. The Town Modular Series (Café Corner, etc.) is a perfect combination of great colors, useful parts, fun building techniques, AND provides hours of play with my four daughters. The Taj Mahal, on the other hand, would provide little to no play opportunities. The best combination for a World Icon building would be something that minifigures could interact with. Notre Dame or St Paul’s would probably be an excellent set for amazing architectural detail and playability.

2. Usually I buy only specific models that appeal to me, but I have/will purchase the entire Modular Series and would buy all civilian medieval sets (to build upon the MMV).

3. A great cathedral, such as Notre Dame or St Paul’s.

4. Please keep the Modular Series coming. Ideally I’d love to see two sets released per year: 1 regular building ($150 range) and 1 small building or park ($80-90 range). Please use rarer colors too (especially dark orange & SAND BLUE!!). A ZOO (with lots of animals) would be a big hit with my girls. One set that would great for the Modular Series would be a sports stadium. You could include two sets of instructions to either build it as a baseball STADIUM (FENWAY PARK or WRIGLEY FIELD would be the best) and football (soccer) field. That way, you could appeal to both sides of the Atlantic. A reasonably accurate Fenway Park or Wrigley Field would open up your market to new customers in America as well.

I would love to see more in the MMV line – a modular medieval town would be fantastic. A detailed castle would be great and it could be sold in packs. Each pack ($50-$120) would build its own set, but if you combined all of the sets, there would be instructions to build a huge, with detailed interiors and removable rooms, castle. I have been to some excellent castles in England, Scotland, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, etc. and you could pattern the castle off of a real castle. And actually, a smaller castle could almost be done in minifigure (1:48) scale. For example, CRAIGMILLAR CASTLE (the lesser-known castle in Edinburgh, Scotland) is a terrific example of castle architecture, but is only about 80 feet by 60 feet. Done in minifig scale this would be a manageable 20 inches by 15 inches. And this castle has gates, a courtyard, many interior rooms, dungeon, etc. Other great castles in this approximate size are Caerlaverock Castle (in southern Scotland), Burg Aggstein (in Austria), Direlton Castle (near Edinburgh), and many of the castles in the Valley D’Oasta in northern Italy.

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Yes/No
  2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? Individual/Whole

1: No.

2: Individual.

3: surprise me.

4: A technical realistic (super) car. Like MacPherson suspension, engine with valves, 6-7 speed compact gearbox etc.

5:General i would see the technic line more technical and less about perfect/smooth/closed design, then you dont see the gears :(

Use the model team for smooth designs

I hope I'm not too late: it's still before 00h00 GMT here... :look: Anyway, thanks for the opportunity!

1. I don't buy them, but that's mainly because I'm more interested in other themes, namely Technic and Mindstorms.

2. I think this question is about the World Icons series, but my answer is about LEGO sets in general: I buy those that I find interesting and/or provide a good selection of parts for MOCs. I'd say it's a 50/50 proportion, although all my sets sooner or later get disassembled for parts.

3. There are a few I'd like to see made by LEGO: a famous bridge like Golden Gate, The Sydney Opera House, the Torre de Belém in Lisbon, the Louvre Museum, or perhaps the Chinese Forbidden City.

4. I'd like to see more variety of models in the Technic line, not just essentially trucks and construction/farming equipment. For example, the 8480 Space Shuttle is regarded as one of the best sets (perhaps the best set) that came from LEGO Technic, both in theme uniqueness and functionality, and a new version would certainly be highly appreciated. It would be an opportunity to incorporate today's Power Functions for things such as the landing gear and the cargo bay doors, as well as future elements like Power Functions pneumatic control for the crane arm and a blinker unit for navigation lights and the engines.

5. First the Power Functions elements, then the Linear Actuator piece, greatly contributed to the advanced control of LEGO mechanisms we today see both on sets and MOCs. However, pneumatics are still lacking a means of efficient control: they require manual handling of switches and pumps (compressors can be build, but then they must be manually turned on and off to maintain pressure). A direct way to convert electrical signals to pneumatic actions would be a welcome addition from LEGO, just like the Linear Actuator made converting rotary motion into linear motion easy. Not only it would greatly benefit a new Space Shuttle set, but also would allow sets like the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig (another set highly regarded by AFOLs) to be re-released using current parts and mechanisms.

Edited by AVCampos

1. both

2. Individual

3. I have always been fascinated by the Gateway Arch.

4. Amusement park rides like roller coasters would be nice.

5. Space is the only evergreen theme that I know of that has not had a set above a 100 dollars. A model of the USS Enterprise would be too much to ask for I suppose.

I know I am a day late but, perhapes since the thread is still open I could reply. Please. :sweet:

1. No. I buy them only if I like the model.

2. No. I may like the theme as a whole but, I only buy the models that I like in that theme.

3. I would really like to see a giant castle like malbork Castle in Poland or perhaps a crusader castle in israel.

4. I would love to see a realistic 18th century naval frigate like some of the ships that you see on this forum. The Imperial

Flagship was really super cool, but a realistic 32-gun frigate would be out-of-this-world.

5. A giant castle with lots of detail would be really neat because it would be more to scale with the medieval market village and

I could fit more buildings inside the castle.

I would love to see more in the MMV line – a modular medieval town would be fantastic. A detailed castle would be great and it could be sold in packs. Each pack ($50-$120) would build its own set, but if you combined all of the sets, there would be instructions to build a huge, with detailed interiors and removable rooms, castle. I have been to some excellent castles in England, Scotland, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, etc. and you could pattern the castle off of a real castle. And actually, a smaller castle could almost be done in minifigure (1:48) scale. For example, CRAIGMILLAR CASTLE (the lesser-known castle in Edinburgh, Scotland) is a terrific example of castle architecture, but is only about 80 feet by 60 feet. Done in minifig scale this would be a manageable 20 inches by 15 inches. And this castle has gates, a courtyard, many interior rooms, dungeon, etc. Other great castles in this approximate size are Caerlaverock Castle (in southern Scotland), Burg Aggstein (in Austria), Direlton Castle (near Edinburgh), and many of the castles in the Valley D’Oasta in northern Italy.

I think everyone would love to see a proper minifig scale castle. The real problem is size. Craigmillar Castle is actually a bit bigger than you've suggested. It's closer to 150 ft x 80 ft. The original L-shaped tower that was later fortified is actually 49 ft. x 53 ft.. The curtain wall makes the castle significantly larger. A 1:48 scale model would be closer to 37 inches x 20 inches. Castles like Caerlaverock and Burg Aggstein are even a bit bigger. Look at some builders who have MOCed castles at that scale. They are significantly larger than you might expect.

A good place to look would be Dr. Carney's website. Not only does he build many of his castles in minifig (or close to) minifig scale; he also provides scale plans of many of the castles he builds. A 1:48 castle with a proper curtain wall would be exceedingly expensive (~$2000 or so). If you want to keep it in budget, I would suggest an even smaller castle such as Nunney in England or one of the many beautiful L shaped towers from Scotland. I've been stuck building a castle losely based on Caerlaverock for the better part of 5 years.

Between the cost and finding bricks, this project has been anything but cheap. A castle with a curtain wall will dwarf the Millennium Falcon making costs absurd.

1. No, they are all very impressive, much more than the "Architecture" sets

2. The whole series

3. A lot of good previous ideas: Kremlin, Sydney Opera House, Colosseum, Big Ben, Golden Gate, Empire State Building, Chrisler Building, Tower of Pisa, Parthenon, Mont Rushmore, White House, Sphinx, San Pietro in Vaticano

4a. A serie of busts from famous actors / character (as the Darth Maul Bust 10018) like Harrison ford / Indiana Jones, Carrie Fisher / Leia, Johnny Depp / Jack Sparrow, ...

4b. An Art serie : La Joconde in Mosaïc, Michelangelo David Sculpture, Bust of Tutankhamun, ...

5. A system to illuminate a model with many LED for a reasonable price

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’?

No

2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme?

Individual

A small section of the canals of Amsterdam, with it's characteristic houses lined on (one of) the sides of the canal. Though this may, in fact, be too difficult, or turn out too expensive.

As an alternative, a model of the Atomium from Brussels.

I would like a "full-scale"* train station, to be honest. Maybe something old, and grand with an arched roof (Something like Amsterdam Centraal); or something modern, almost bordering on sci-fi (Like the proposal for the remodeling of Utrecht Centraal). Though, again, this would probably be too expensive.

In any case, something with a platform island, wedged between two sets of tracks. Something that can actually hold a 3 car passenger train comfortably, with some room to spare on each side, instead of just barely (or not even) doing so.

No further input that I can think of.

EDIT: Oh, poo-poo. I'm too late to enter this. >___<

I should learn to read more clearly.

Edited by Melfice

1- I guess yes, even though I never bought one.

2- Individual, even though I always have some favorite themes I don't buy sets to collect them all, I buy them because they look nice, either I like 'em or no deal :laugh: .

3- I don't know what to say here, but I always felt fascinated by the sidney opera house

4- A new batcave is a must, mainly because I didn't get the last one(only the last wave of batman sets was available in my country) and because it could be a different part of the cave than the fist one, this way if smeone had the first one they could buy this has an "expansion"

5- I'd like some new power funtions piece sets, one that contains a motor and a battery pack(batteries included would be apreciated :laugh: ) and another(which I think was already mentioned) that includes only LED's and maybe a battery box for a reasonable price, mainly because there's a huge online market for unofficial Lego adjustable LED's, they are nto only intended for Lego but profit alot from buyers who intend to use them for their creations,I(and probably a very big part of the Lego comunity) would also buy alot more sets if the Lego Batman theme was revived, not only including batman sets but city sets as well, some of the later theme which I already bought are, for example, the latest police hq, the city corner, and the Lego delivery truck and one in particular that I intend on buying is the limousine and helicopter set.

Thus reviving the lego batman theme would result in more sales for both the batman and the city themes, not to mention the pick-a-brick sales going trough the roof due to entusiasts wanting to buy the pieces needed to make their custom creations, and the sales would only be helped by the huge fan-base of Batman, from young kids who want to play to adults who want to build, modify and show their creations and by the huge demand there is for batman sets that can be verified by checking the prices of the sets on websites like bricklink, ebay and amazon and confirming that they are very high and that there is no place where the sets are still sold for their original prices.

Cheers

By- A guy who can name 101 reasons why Lego Batman rocked and always will rock.

Darn, I was 8 days late, why did I spend the last weeks studying? :cry_sad:

Well at least school is out and I am almost sure I passed the 9th grade(the national Portuguese exam might turn out to be my demise and the destruction of my ambitions due to ruining my world of academical achievements)... WHY DID I NOT NOTICE THIS POST???

Now I can only hope that there were enough Lego batman fans requesting the revival of the theme, otherwise I might have doomed us all to a life without Lego Batman.

Unfortunatly not Cheerful.

By-A guy whose life was ruined by his tests even though they haven't even been graded yet.

We got Star Wars, Harry Potter, Toy Story, Ben10, etcetc...

For me, the ultimate franchise would be The Lord of the Rings. Extreme amount of sets could be released since the world of the LoTR universe huge. There could be minifig paks for the separate nations and races (20+ orcs, elves, dwarfs), giant sets (Minas Tirith, Isengard, etcetc) with 2000-4000+ pieces, near endless possibilities with this world. I think if LEGO could manage to get the rights, without a doubt it could be their biggest theme yet.

I'm waiting and hoping for the day they announce that.

I'm Saying! They could have playsets like Bag End, Moria/Khazad Dum, Battle of Pelennor Fields. Also the giant sets would be bestselling. BTW, they should make Minas Tirith in a microscale because minifig scale wouldn't even fit in a garage!!!

1. No

2. Individual

3. The Hungarian Parliament Building (Piccity), Sagrada Familia, Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, of just a generic Mosque with lots and lots of minifigs praying.

4. As mentioned above, a LOTR/Hobbit line in 2012 when the movie comes out. I would like Technic to bring back the really big cars with doors that can open every which way, complete with working gearbox. Technic recently hasn't been living up to my expectations.

5. Can't think of anything now...