CopMike

D2C Designers requesting feedback for 2012 models

Direct to Consumer (D2C) Designers requesting feedback for 2012 models, take your time and add your wishes :sweet:!

BUT keep to what they´re asking for in structured way as shown below, and then in the end add what else you might want to add :devil: !

Direct is just wrapping up 2011 and we’re now looking forward to 2012 and beyond! I’m hoping you and the ambassadors can help me do a bit of brainstorming for some new model ideas.

We’re specifically trying to get some insight into what excites fans about our World Icons models. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? What would you like to see as the next World Icon?

We’d also like to hear if there is a particular ultimate set beyond World Icons which you’ve always wished we would make. It could be anything—like the Carousel, Imperial Flagship, Space Shuttle, Town Plan, Beetle, Medieval Market, Sculptures, etc. It could be Technic, Town/CITY, Space, Castle, Mindstorms, Belville, Trains or even something completely new. The sky is the limit!

Thanks everyone, hope to hear from you soon.

Answer these questions:

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Yes/No
  2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? Individual/Whole
  3. What would you like to see as the next World Icon?
  4. What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see?
  5. The rest of your input not answered above!

Dealine is Thursday June 10th so hurry, hurry :grin:!

1. No, I like them as the models themselves.

2. Individual Appeal

3. The Colosseum

4. See 5

5. I'd like more of a "Medieval Village" sort of sub-theme for Castle, which the Market Village would fall under. I think having an entire town/village with a castle at the top would be awesome, and as long as all the buildings were different, (Ie Blacksmith, Stables, Inn, etc. ) I'm sure people would pick them up.

Edited by CopMike
Questions removed for easy viewing

1. No, I think they look excellent in my collection.

2. I buy them if they look good. I bought the Taj Mahal because it was a great build but I didn't buy the Statue of Liberty as I felt it was a bit blocky. So I probably but them individually.

3. A Roman Colosseum would be nice but there are so many that could be done and would look good.

4. I would like to see a large scale castle set with a lot of details.

That is most of my feedback. Thank You, Burman

Edited by CopMike

1. No

2. Individual

3. How about a model of Henry Ford's Model T?

4. How about a large model of a dragon from Castle, that can be used with figures? Now that's something I'd pay for, Castle being my favourite theme.

5. Good to see you guys care, as usual!

1) I don't buy very large sets, but I can see why most people call them parts packs. They are full of elements that aren't sold in sets much, which makes them very useful. For example, the Grand Carousel had a ton of pirate gems. They are also expensive, which is why I said above that I don't buy them. I do admire the designer's work on them so far. Even if some people do think them to be parts packs, they are marvelous if you actually take the time to complete it. For this question I'll just leave the answer Blank.

2) It depends. For a theme like Bionicle, I do my best to collect the whole series just because they're that awesome. On some other themes though, I don't collect the whole series. Some sets are designed good with great functions, others just seem to pass by me like they weren't even there. Some are great, some are good, and others just plain ugly. Another reason why I might not collect a whole series as much is because of the cost. At today's economy, some sets are extremely expensive. I buy some sets individual, and I try my best sometime to get a series as a whole.

3(4-5?)) I would definitely love to see a set surpass the Taj Mahal in pieces. I'm thinking something like a cathedral. In particular the Sao Paulo Cathedral. I'd save up all the money I'd need to for that. Just imagine the detail. :oh:

Edited by Captain M

1. No

2. Individual

3. The Temple of Ramessess II at Abu Simbel in Egypt. Or the Treasury at Petra in Jordan (Would fit perfectly to Indiana Jones).

4. A big ol' space station in Classic Space style :cry_happy:

Edited by Cerlin

1. No

2. Whole

3. Neuschwanstein castle

4. Concorde

5. Please do not make sets which look like sevaral small sets thrown together (e.g.: 8404)

Edited by CopMike

1. No, if I buy one, it's because of the look.

2. Individual, mostly ... some lines complete.

3. The Leaning Tower of Pisa, for to reasons, the leaning and i love the design and the arcs.

4. A great civil Harbor or a wilder version like Tortuga for the Pirate line, not in the way of the Imperial Trading Post but with a lot more details like the medival market, some more buildings, like a pub and a kontor, tons of goods to plunder for the pirates, some colored minifigs for the caribic feeling. No raised baseplates please!

5. Add more civil and non-army related things to the historical sets. Something in the way of the City Farm sets, but in a castle way and or pirate way. People would love that, me too.

Create a new history line, like the Romans or Greeks. You can create villas, maybe a roadbuilding set, gladiators with animals, some market things and workshops, some temples with priests, a litter, horse races, philosopher schools, the senate with senators, and a lot more things. I guess it would be a lovely series, with a lot for young and old Lego fans and ideas for years to come.

1.No - I buy a set because I like it in itself, I don't MOC as such, I enjoy admiring the official sets as they are

2.Individual - I'm an AFOL and a huge Star Wars and Space fan but I only get the ones that individually appeal

3.Buckingham Palace, Las Vegas Strip (!), the world itself as a 3-D globe

4.Ultimate F1 car, Ultimate sized Lamborghini Gallardo, brick statues of classic minifigs in action poses (eg Classic Space, Star Wars, Castle etc)

- More Space Police/Classic-type Space,

- additional extra carriage varieties for Emerald Night please!

- "LEGO LEGENDS" - special re-releases of historical classic sets

Thanks for reading and best wishes!!

Edited by CopMike

1) No

2) Individual

3) Roman Colosseum

4) UCS street/race car (very large sets like star wars UCS)

5) Return of the Model Team or equivalent to late 1990s to early 2000s' "old school" Technic line (or both combined) will be great. Creator seems to be a little bit soft compare to the Model Team. Lastly, Formula theme will be great since there have been very few sets related to Formula.

Edited by CopMike

1. No, I've not bought any of these sets, but the Eiffel tower is on my wish list - I simply dont have space for it..

2. I will only buy individual sets based on specific appeal, but my 7 year old wants every set in a theme. He views it as a colection, and so wants each model in the set.

3. Easy, The London Eye.

4. I would have said a Space Shuttle until a few weeks ago, so I'll go with my daughters answer - A Zoo! (She likes the playmobil Zoo, and wants to know why we dont have it in Lego)

5. My seven year old keeps getting disapointed when themes he has invested time and money in get closed down - Indiana Jones, Mars Mission, Batman to name three. It makes us very reluctant to start new themes (Glad he didnt start collecting Pirates) and redirect him to Star Wars.

I really like the strategy of including more minifigs in Star Wars sets, but we need to see more core characters in medium sized sets - the best example of this was the new Landspeeder - because of the characters it's top of his wish list (Along with the wampa cave)

Make it easier to get the core characters and save the chase ones for the big sets.

Like most Parents we save up for a big set for B/day or Xmas, and he spends his pocket money saving up for smaller sets. This last few months he's bought all the magnet sets to get characters otherwise not available (which are great by the way, but he'd probably buy more sets if they contained core characters.

And the troop builder sets for Castle - Dwarves ETC are a brilliant idea - make more across different themes please.

Edited by CopMike

1. No, I don't buy them.

2. Individual - for the parts

3. A sports stadium - Yankee Stadium, Wembley Stadium, etc. (obviously off scale)

4. A city block, with something a little more modern looking than the Downtown style that TLG currently uses.

5. Maybe some more disney themes, The Licensed themes seem to yield very nice minifig accessories.

Edited by CopMike

1. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Yes/No
  2. Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? Individual/Whole
  3. What would you like to see as the next World Icon?
  4. What particular ultimate set beyond World Icons would you like to see?
  5. The rest of your input not answered above!

1. No

2. Individual

3. CN Tower/Burj Kalifa

4. Large scaled cars/a big minfig scaled spaceship

5. Make modular buildings that are more affordable

1. Yes, but I do tend to keep all models of such size assembled for people to admire.

2. So far the whole theme, the World Icons are amongst my favorite sets ever produced by the Lego Company.

3. Without a doubt, I'm going to have to say the Sydney Opera House. This really needs to be immortalized in an official Lego set.

4. The RMS Titanic would be great!

5. My two cents: This is a fantastic theme, and I appreciate you asking for the input of your fans. Whatever you release next will undoubtedly be fantastic. Keep up the good work!

Edited by CopMike

Thank you very much for posting this, CopMike! :classic:

It's great that TLG asks us for these things! :thumbup:

Here are my answers:

No.

I have no money and no need for those buildings.

Individual.

At least most of the time.

In principle equal since I wouldn't buy it anyway.

Sorry for this bad answer.

(arranged by importance)

Wild West Village (Western)

(with a saloon, a post office, a store, a stage coach, many horses, sheriff, bandits, saloon keeper and some Western civlians)

Wild West Train (Western)

(with engine, 1st class waggon, 2nd class waggon, closed cargo waggon, decent train station, a small carriage, conductor, bandits and many Western civilians)

Folk Festival (City)

(with ferris wheel, candy stand, hot sausage stand, shooting gallery, carrousel, truck, caravan and many, many minifigs)

Mall/Shopping Center (City)

(with a cafe, a boutique, a toy shop and a pharmacy, a delivery truck and many, many minifigs)

City Square (City)

(with big hotel, cafe, grocery, small playground, delivery truck, black limousine, blue bicycle and many, many minifigs)

Cargo Center (City)

re-design of the classic Cargo Center (with a big building with rolling gates and an office, a big and a small truck, a forklift, a palletjoe, a lot of cargo stuff and some minifigs)

Pleasure Cruiser (City)

(with a restaurant, minimum two cabines with bathrooms, swimming pool, bridge, lifeboats, peer and many, many minifigs)

Winter Village (City)

(with ski hotel, winter sports shop, piste with ski lift and Alpine hut including restaurant upstairs, RESQ snowmobile, bus/car, snowboards, skis and many, many minifigs)

School (City)

(with auditorium, kiosk, class room, chemistry lab, gym, schoolyard, bus station, school bus, some teachers and many pupils)

Legoland Park (City)

(with Miniland, Lego Store, rollercoaster, small train, kiosk, cash point, Lego Store, car and many, many minifigs)

Grand Villa (City)

(in ancient architecture (similar to the town hall in 10184); with big entrance, living room, kitchen, office, sleeping room, children's room, terrace, big garden with flower beds and cypres trees, fountain, helicpoter airfield, black limousine, black private helicopter, pilot, cook, bodyguard, buttler and a whole family)

TV Tower (City)

(with cash point, kisok and elevator and a turning restaurant on top, bus stop, bus and many, many minifigs)

Oil Rig (City)

(with office, sleeping room, recreation room, engine room, helicpoter airfield, diving bell, helicopter, lifeboat and some minifigs)

Zoo (City)

(with a dolphinarium, an elefant house, a lion enclosure, a big gate with cash point and kiosk, a multicar and many, many minifigs)

Open Air Bath (City)

(with a big swimming pool with diving platform, a small swimming pool with slide and water mushroom, kisok, sun terrace, two bicycles, two changing rooms, toilets and many, many minifigs)

Yacht Harbor (City)

a re-design of the classic yacht harbor (with a motor yacht, a motor boat, a sailing boat, a big peer, a small garage, a restaurant with terrace and some minifigs)

Elevated Train (City)

re-design of the classic Airport Shuttle (with elevated train, two stations, bus station, snackbar, kisok, bus, blue bicycle and many, many minifigs)

Botanic Garden (City)

(with lake with peer and rowboats, cafe with terrace, tea house, fountain, rivulet, many brick-built trees and plants, some benchs, two bicycles, a historical monument on a small hill and many, many minifigs)

Circus (City)

(with a big half-opened circus tent, a truck, a caravan, a forklift, different animals, a lot of accessory and many, many minifigs)

Fishing Harbor (City)

(with big peer, fish shop, restaurant, fish cutter, sailing boat, delivery truck, blue bicycle, a lot of fish and crabs and many, many minifigs)

Grand Knights' Tournament (Castle)

(with a lot of not-brick-built tents, many horses, king, queen, knights and soldiers from different fractions and some medieval civilians)

Medieval Farm With Watermill/Windmill (Castle)

(with pigs and cows, plants, medieval agricultural machines, an open carriage, a closed carriage, the farmer's family, miller with wife and some soldiers)

Forestmen's Village (Castle)

(with two decent forest houses connected by a ropeway, big brick-built trees, some horses, a moveable catapult and many, many forestmen vs. other fraction's soldiers)

Cloud City (Star Wars)

(with landing platform with regular sized Twin Pod Cloud Car, carbonite freezing chamber, waiting room with plexi glass dome, dark rooms (for duel), white floor, torture chamber, glass elevator, "balcony" (for duel), refuse incinerator, two Bespin Guards, two Ughunauts, two Stormies, Lobot, Boba, Lando, Han, Leia, C-3PO, silvern 3PO, R2, Vader, Imperial Officer and some other minifigs)

Hoth Base (Star Wars)

(with medical room, regular room, control room, Snowspeeder, Rebel Tank, big ion cannon, transport vehicle, Vader, two Snowtroopers, Snowtrooper Captain, Luke, injured Luke, Han, Leia, Bren Darlin, another Hoth officer, two Hoth Rebels and Tauntaun)

Temple Of Yavin (Star Wars)

(with X-Wing, Y-Wing, control room, briefing room, transport vehicle, ladder (to get inside the X-Wing), hall (where they are celebrated), Yavin Leia, major, two Rebel Engineers, Red Leader, Biggs Darklighter, Luke and Han)

Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)

Imperial Star Destroyer/Super Star Destroyer (Star Wars)

re-designed version of the version of 2006, non-UCS!

Ewok Town (Star Wars)

Sandcrawler And Uncle Lars' Home (Star Wars)

Revisiting/expanding following existing themes with new - not with re-released - sets:

Wild West

Paradisa

Nautica

Trains

Aquazone

Introducing following unlicensed themes:

Romans (non-Adventure)

Egypts (non-Adventure)

Arabic Knights

Many, many more minifigs (men, women and kids) - esp. in City sets.

More civilian sets and more houses and locations (in City as well as in all historical themes and in Star Wars).

And all civilian cars with car doors, roofs and in more common colors (black, different blue colors, grey).

Thank you very much for reading! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Reason for edit: update of my wishlists. Now finished!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

1-yes

2-usually individual

3-Notradam Cathedral(sorry, dont know how its spelled)

4-star wars republic star destroyer / Jedi temple

5-I would like to see: even if the pirates dont come back as a series, maybe keep a ship or 2 available, or make a basic ship parts pack.(like the hulls, rigging, etc.)

give us more color variety on parts like the baseplates, (how about red, or a light blue? or, a larger blue plate?) also, new pieces are always good, but try to go more back to the older style ones, and use more basic bricks in the construction of sets. now, its really odd how many sets have few regular square bricks?

and stop giving us the stupid "flick-fire" stuff. please, if your gonna give us projectiles, make sure they actually fly. please?

thanks for the consideration of these ideas.

Edited by Dan the Brickman

1. The parts used are a large selling point, however I generally buy those sets for the primary model

2. I buy specific models based on individual appeal

3. The Colosseum in Rome, or Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow

4. A large medieval castle, or western fort

5. -More in-house themes

-Revisiting/expanding existing themes such as Wild West or Adventurers

-Focus on improving quality of parts

I've been extremely pleased with the variety of sets released in recent years, and absolutely adore the more adult oriented sets such as in the modular houses line. Keep up the excellent work!

1. No.

2. Everything I ever buy is specific sets for their individual appeal.

3. Maybe some awesome skyscraper, like Empire State Building.

4. Well for one idea, in 2012 it will be 100 YEARS from TITANIC, if you know what I mean... :wink:

5. In my opinion, the Eiffel Tower 10181 was quite a failed set because of its ugly building technique. Anything TLC makes, I wish for sleek, stylish and detailed technique.

1.No. I would usually buy them if they look amazing and are something I can relate to.

2. Individual. Sometimes I just see a set, no matter the theme, that just stands out to me.

3. Perhaps the colosseum?Just think of the circular build and all the arches! :cry_happy:

4. A USC actual classic red and blue lego minifig!That would look awesome on a shelf :skull:

5. More parts per set, A.K.A filling in empty spaces to make the set more durable in structure and giving it a good piece-price ratio.

Also variety theme packs!!e.g. space police weapons,cuffs, evidence and so on.

Edited by greenskull139

Please don´t copy the whole set of questions in your answer :cry_sad: , just do like this:

1. No, I don't buy them.

2. Individual - for the parts

3. A sports stadium - Yankee Stadium, Wembley Stadium, etc. (obviously off scale)

4. A city block, with something a little more modern looking than the Downtown style that TLG currently uses.

5. Maybe some more disney themes, The Licensed themes seem to yield very nice minifig accessories.

1.No

2.Individual

3.London Bridge

4.A 1940/1950 style bank, with full interior and a working safe (and maybe a couple of gangsters).

5.Please bring back the Western theme, also I'd like to see more sets based on comics and video games (Batman Arkham Asylum for instance)... The thing I'd love to see most is an Assassins Creed theme, but I know thats never going to happen because of the mature themes.

Edited by Jippon

1. No, I normally keep large sets together and built. If not left built they are disassembled and put back in the box.

2. Normally I try to buy all the sets in a particular series rather than a mismatch of sets at the end of the year.

3. The Golden Gate Bridge, or even the US Capitol Building.

4. This one is hard to answer, too many ideas floating around. The world racers theme is good, but what about expanding the Formula 1 cars beyond just Ferrari? A nice road course with grandstands would be cool.

Thanks for the chance to sound off.

Edited by CopMike

1. No

2. Individual

3. Leaning tower of Pisa

4. Large UCS castle is at the top of my list!

5. An ion cannon to complement the hoth sets.

Thanks for the opportunity to be heard! :classic:

1. No

2. While, I would love to buy all of them, I have only bought the Statue of Liberty so far.

3. The Great Sphinx, Arc De Triomphe, The World Trade Center, The White House, Tower of the Arabs ("Arab Sail"), Petronas Twin Towers, Big Ben, US Capitol Building, London Bridge, Mt. Rushmore, to name a few!!

4. A large scale Castle in the $400 range, much like the Death Star, 10188, with alot of minifigs.

5. None, I can think of at the moment!

EDIT: I guess I will add my Star Wars wants in here. UCS Super Star Destroyer, UCS Venator, UCS AT-AT, UCS Republic Gunship and a Cantina, much like 10188, with alot of room and a lot aliens.

Edited by jamie75

1) I love the look of those sets and I wished I had them all. My personal problem is the lack of space! I cannot put them anywhere, so I decided to pass on the latter two. I still would love to own the Statue of Liberty, but in this case the price is the problem. No - I wouldn't see them as 'parts packs'.

2) see above. In addition I didn't like the Eiffel Tower: Way too much dark bley parts and all 'normal' ones - nothing extraordinary like in the TM.

3) Statue of Liberty (to give me a 2nd chance :wink:),

Brandenburger Tor / Reichstag in Berlin (because of my nationality)

Sydney Opera, St. Peter's Cathedral Rome, St. Basil's Cathedral Moscow.

4) A hospital. You know, you never did a real good one... :tongue:

Titanic sounds good as well.

5) A PF-monorail! :wub:

(and a lot more 'normal' cars for our city!)