Brickthus

PF Train Motor Testing

traintech1.jpg

I have been testing a pair of new PF train motors to check that they are a drop-in replacement for 9V motors in terms of power, torque and speed regulation.

The RC motors performed poorly in the same test, compared to a pair of 9V motors, so it was important for the future of LEGO trains that the new PF train motors should be up to scratch.

0_pf_tm_test_elec_parts.jpg

I used the Electric Parts pictured above.

The LiPo battery (fully charged) and PF IR receiver were the same for all tests.

You can see a pair of 9V train motors, a pair of RC train motors and a pair of PF train motors, as well as the bogie trims I used.

The PF motors have the wire exiting at one end of the bogie plate part of the casing. If the wires on a pair of motors exit in opposite directions along the track then you will need to use a pole reverser switch to make both motors turn in the same track direction as I have done.

The PF motors were each in a Test Bogie top and bottom

The bogies are taller than the motor. the motor's pin is fixed into a Technic plate and the additional bogie plate attaches to the coach body. This is just because that's the real scale dimension for the coach bogie. We don't realise how tall bogies are when we're standing on the platform!

The Test Coach 1, 2, 3

Two trains were used for testing, a heavy passenger train 1 2 and a 20-straight-long goods train 1 2.

The passenger train has a lot of weight and drag, especially in the curves. The goods train has fairly heavy 4-wheel wagons and the oscillation of the couplings makes for variable drag. Both are a good test of motor tractive effort.

The PF train motors performed very well, passing the standard test comfortably.

In a further test, with a heavier train, they performed well, showing a limit of operation at least as good as 9V motors. This test was beyond expectations for the maximum load to be pulled by a pair of motors at a train show.

The good speed regulation means that both passenger and goods trains can be left to run up and down slopes while the operator talks to the public at a show.

This is a good result and bodes well for the future of LEGO trains :thumbup:

We can now proceed at full pace with building PF diesel and electric trains, and steamers that have motors in the tender. Get your PF train set orders in!

Full explanation of Test info

Folder when moderated

I might do a few more-specific tests, especially for electrical load sharing, but I anticipate no problems there. Perhaps Philo will do the proper tests to plot the motor graphs for his motor web page.

TLG, please speed up the availability of PF train motors as a separate set!

Mark

Thanks for doing these tests, Mark. I've been waiting to hear how well the new motors perform, and your results are very encouraging. I felt like I was driving a slot car when running the old RC motors, since the train goes so fast but doesn't pull much.

Hi Mark, thanks also for this information. I dont have any of these motors yet to try, but does this mean if they are run at a full 9V they may even outperform the original 9V train motor?

Mike

Hi Mark, thanks also for this information. I dont have any of these motors yet to try, but does this mean if they are run at a full 9V they may even outperform the original 9V train motor?

Mike

I don't yet have any detailed information on whether a PF motor could outperform a 9V motor.

Now that I've found the PF train motors sufficient, I'll look more closely at their performance relative to 9V motors.

Mark

Hi Mark, I am new in the Lego train scene. I am making my first 8-stud UK coach. My idea was to use two PF motors in the bogies, as you did. But how did you combine them to one IR receiver and one battery box? Do I need more components?

4 hours ago, jburgt said:

Hi Mark, I am new in the Lego train scene. I am making my first 8-stud UK coach. My idea was to use two PF motors in the bogies, as you did. But how did you combine them to one IR receiver and one battery box? Do I need more components?

Hello Jburgt.

You are responding to a thread that last saw updates over 11 years ago. This is not in line with forum etiquette. From what it looks like, Mark is still an active Eurobricks member (his last visit was back in June) but I doubt he will have this article top of his mind.

However, the answer you are looking for (“how to operate 2 PF motors on 1 batterybox and receiver”) has been answered numerous times on this forum in PF related threads: you can either buy the PF pole switcher component and use that on one of the motors (the component shows in Mark’s picture, so I think that is what he used), or you can open up a motor or a connector and switch 2 wires to make a permanent change to reverse the driving direction. I have used the first option many times and it works very well without the need to damage LEGO elements.

note that if you want to do the same with PoweredUp (PU) you have to do this in software, as there is no pole switcher for PU.

Phil B, I am brand new in this forum. The house rules are unfamiliar. I searched for an earlier answer for my question, but found only this old thread. You cannot asked from me to read the thousands earlier threads.

As also it’s not clearly for me when a question is train related or electric related.

So I will start a new thread related to my first Train project: a British Maunsell Push-Pull 2 car set, with a M7 Class locomotive, and will ask all my questions there. Who want to give answers can show me the right way.

5 hours ago, jburgt said:

Phil B, I am brand new in this forum. The house rules are unfamiliar.