Sign in to follow this  
Countdown

8258 Crane Truck Availibility

Hi all,

I'm a recent technic AFOL and came out of my dark ages about a year ago.

I was just wondering if the #8258 Crane Truck will eventually be available in Canada. It was never available at S@H nor any local retailers. It that common practice by TLG? On different websites (including TechnicBricks) it was annonced that the set was going to be 150$US and 200$Can. According to Brickset, it was available for 6 months in the US (July to Dec 2009). What are the possibilities of a "re-print" or a re-release of this set?

I vaguely remember that the 8297 Off-Roader was only available in summer 2009 in Canada (can someone confirm that?) even though it was the 2008 flagship.

The prices on BrickLink are pretty prohibitive for this set; the cheapest in North America is 240$US not including shipping and customs. Personnally I'd rather buy from S@H.

Is there anywhere else in the world that this set was unavailable or TLG only hates Canadians ;)

Furthermore, will TLG do the same with the very nice #8043 Excavator for this summer?

Thanks to let me vent my concerns,

-Nick

I actually got one of my ameri-friends to purchase the 8258 from S@H when they had free shipping. I asked him to purchase it and ship it to me and it ended up being just slightly under $200USD to my door. Mind you, I got lucky and didn't have to pay taxes when it came across the border.

I waited for some sort of news that would indicate Canada would be getting it and as time went on, I was getting nervous that we may never get it, so that's why I went that route. Turns out to be a good choice :)

Unfortunately, I don't think TLG re-releases sets, but this is just based on my observations as a casual AFOL :)

Edited by j3tang

It recently dropped off USA S@H as well... and does not seem to be selling strongly in Switzerland (overpriced). Unless you are really in need of the original box; it is probably worth searching through ebay / bricklink or asking someone in Europe to help... at 160 Euro... probably the cheapest (unless you find Amazon somewhere). However postage weight over the pond is likely to be around $50.

I got mine off Bricklink for 160 Euros.

It took a while to arrive but at least I got the set.

If they did the same with the Excavator, I won't be a happy camper.

I asked my American relatives to pick up the 8258 for me. I sent them the money. I didn't get dinged with duty but still a pain that is not available in Canada. Hopefully I won't have to do that with the new excavator.

actually, I just recalled, there's a local store here in Toronto that's selling it. they still have stock i believe.

Edited by j3tang

actually, I just recalled, there's a local store here in Toronto that's selling it. they still have stock i believe.

Please do tell!!! I'm only 5 1/2hrs away and don't mind the drive! And it's been a while down to the Tdot.

PM, me.

Nick

Tried PMing you but doesn't look like it's allowed since you're still a rather new member?

Anyways, email me (j3tang [at] gmail) and I can direct you to the store that has it (i'm not affiliated with the store whatsoever, I just happen to go there much too often for my wallet's sake).

By the sounds of it, if you're 5.5 hrs from TO, I'm gonna guess you're in Ottawa? :)

For those of you in the UK who are still interested in this model, Argos have reduced the price to £94.99 (£35 cheaper than normal)

For those of you in the UK who are still interested in this model, Argos have reduced the price to £94.99 (£35 cheaper than normal)

Thanks for the tip, I bought two. :cry_happy: