DLuders

Barman's V-8 Engine Building Instructions/ 2,862 Parts

Barman has posted photo-sequence building instructions of his highly-detailed V-8 ENGINE made from Lego Technic parts. The first of 11 PAGES' worth of photographs starts with http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery....=289023&n=0 . There is even a subfolder that shows how to use a Power Functions M-Motor to automate the pistons using RC.

Blakbird's Brickshelf folder has renders, MPD file, the PDF parts list, and a detailed readme.txt description of the engine: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=373965 . :thumbup:

v8-515.jpgv8-480.jpgv8-441.jpgv8-317.jpgsize.jpg

Blakbird wrote,

"This is a MOC designed by barman (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=276743) which is a working model of a V-8 engine. It does not actually produce power, rather it is powered by a single electric motor which turns the engine. A 9V train speed regulator serves as a throttle control to adjust speed. I built the MPD file from scratch using the photographic instructions produced by Barman.

- Crank Shaft: This is a crossplane crank shaft (4 crank pins at 90 degrees orientation). The crank pins are arranged in the order of a "standard" American V-8 engine.

- Pistons: The 8 pistons are each made from a pair of Model Team wheels.

- Cam Shafts: This engine has 4 overheads cams, 2 in each head. Each pair of valves (intake and exhaust) open at the same time and are 180 degrees out of phase.

- Valves: There are 32 valves. The upper valves (nearer the valley) are intake and the lower valves (nearer the motor mounts) are exhaust valves.

- Rockers: The 16 rocker arms are spring loaded via blue elastic bands (not pictured) to close the valves. Contact with the cam shaft roller drives them down and opens the

valves.

- Distributor: The distributor uses a Technic fiber optics element to simulate the firing of the coil. The power for the fiber optic light comes from a separate 9V battery pack so

that it does not change intensity as a funciton of motor speed. A chain (fan belt) driven by the harmonic balancer rotates the fiber optic element. Pneumatic tubes represent the spark plug wires and run to each cylinder through a series of looms. The spark plugs enter through the top of the head suggesting that this V-8 is a hemi.

- Heads: These images show the heads with the cams, rockers, and valves installed.

- Block: The engine block is constructed almost entirely from studless beams and angle connectors. The water jacket looks a bit leaky.

- Intake Manifolds: There are two intake manifolds which each contain 4 individual single barrel carbeurators.

- Exhaust Manifolds: The exhaust manifolds are equal length headers which are made up of 2x2 round plates placed over a flexible axle.

- Fan: There's a 6 blade fan with a significant pitch constructed from a pair of 3 blade rotors. It is driven by the same shaft which drives the distributor.

- Flywheel: The back of the block holds a bell housing containing a flywheel represented by a motorcycle wheel. It could be argued that this is actually a torque converter,

but I can't tell without seeing the transmission.

"So how big is this thing? Take a look at (size.jpg) [sHOWN ABOVE] and you will see that it is huge; as big as the 8275 bulldozer." :oh3:

Does anybody want to drop one of these V-8s into their next Technic MOC? :grin:

Hi all!

Where do you buy all the bricks for this model? I have found some of them, but I have problems to find some items.

Could you help me please?

Víctor

Thank you Alasdair Ryan! I'm currently searching for all the items... I ill have to buy them in 4 or 5 different countries haha. I keep you posted!

EDIT: If someone has alredy build it and can provide some advise...it would be awesome :)

cheers!

Edited by Vitrox

EDIT: If someone has alredy build it and can provide some advise...it would be awesome :)

I have built it but the instructions are very good so I doubt you will need much in the way of advice. I have lots more photos of it posted here.

Thank you Alasdair Ryan! I'm currently searching for all the items... I ill have to buy them in 4 or 5 different countries haha. I keep you posted!

cheers!

I actually have some advice.

Don't bother with the 9V battery pack, its useless. The fiber optic gets plenty of power (light) even at the slowest speed setting from the train transformer. In other words, wire it directly to the output going to the motor (I used a medium PF with a 3x5 liftarm holding it) and that way it will always be on when you turn up the power on the model.

I actually collected for two of these. One in Yellow and One in Orange.

Edited by nychase

Anyone interested in buying the yellow version?

Yes, maybe - depends a little bit on the price... ;-)

In honor of this model being highlighted again, I've made a cutaway render showing the internal moving parts. You can see:

• Crankshaft
  • Pistons
  • Cams
  • Rockers
  • Valves
  • Butterfly Valves
  • Fan
  • Flywheel
  • Distributor
  • Alternator (M-motor)
  • Timing Chains

If you look closely, you'll see that I did not model the valves correctly. All are shut so the cam rollers are interfering with the rockers in some places.

800x600.jpg

Wow Blakbird, that´s a real stunning render :thumbup: :thumbup: and think that Barman now have a wet dream to see this :laugh:

I am just cleaning up the drool :laugh:

Amazing work Blakbird. Thank you so much :thumbup:

Cutaway renders are beyond cool!! Nicely done Blakbird :thumbup:

Does anyone know where to buy these elastic bands for the rocker arms . Or know the size and tension needed?

Edited by Tcp

Sweet! The pneumatic tubing it says 65 inches, I know it will be cut into segments do you know how long they are because they only sell it in segments. Also for the fiber optic cables will the service pack 5227 be the right length? Are there any surprises I should know with this build? Thanks!

Edited by Tcp

Barman put the lengths of each into the photo in the instructions on page 441. The lengths are 7.1 , 9.5 , 8.7 , 9.5 , 10.6 , 5.9 , 5.9 , 7.1 (In inches) Don't bother use lego brand tubing since its just for decoration anyway.

Yes thats the correct service pack. They are the standard fiber cables from 8480.

Surprises?

Personally, I didn't bother using the battery pack. The power from the train transformer is plenty even at the slowest speed to give enough light to accomplish the effect. Plus this way you only have to turn the dial and everything works.

Also, make sure to checkout Barman's M-Motor mod....you will just need a 3x5 L bracket, some pins and a 20cm extension cable (to convert 9v to PF).

Edited by nychase

Ok Nychase I went through every photo of the build and have a few questions. As you probably realized I'm fairly new to all this and loving it so far! Built legos as a child and now technic as an adult lol.

1. On pic 181 the extension wire cable looks different from the new PF cables Im guessing they arent interchangeable? Is part number 60656 the wire to connect the old fiber optic element to the new pf cable you spoke about earlier?

2. Since I'll be using the new PF M-motor I dont need to any of the parts on pic 376 correct?

3. What size or part number is the band on pic 298?

Can I scrap the train speed regulator for the new IR speed remote control 8879 + new pf battery box + IR receiver?

Do the fiber optic light flash speed change with the speed of the rpms?

Thanks again!!!

1. On pic 181 the extension wire cable looks different from the new PF cables Im guessing they arent interchangeable? Is part number 60656 the wire to connect the old fiber optic element to the new pf cable you spoke about earlier?

That is an old 9V cable for the fiber optic element. You could use a newer PF extension cable (in addition to the one Chase suggested for the motor), but they are bulkier.

2. Since I'll be using the new PF M-motor I dont need to any of the parts on pic 376 correct?

Right.

3. What size or part number is the band on pic 298?

This is the small white band from the Space Shuttle, but you could use pretty much any rubber band. This is just the spring return for the throttle.

Can I scrap the train speed regulator for the new IR speed remote control 8879 + new pf battery box + IR receiver?

You could, but I wouldn't. The train regulator is built into the structure of the stand and they are not expensive. This will also allow you to plug it into the wall instead of using batteries. If you choose to use the PF battery box, you don't need the train the regulator or the IR Receiver. There is speed control right on the battery.

Do the fiber optic light flash speed change with the speed of the rpms?

Yes. In fact, the spark plug firing is timed correctly to the engine if you build it right.

Thanks for all the responses so far! The build is pretty expensive but once I put the first order in there was turning back!! lol my only other question is which wires do I need with the new pf motor mod? So what I gather is (train regulartor) 9v to new pf wire (to another wire which connects to fiber element) and then connect to m-motor? I scrapped the other box as noted by nychase. Do you know which wires (plus length) that I will need?

Or is it (train regulator) 9v to pf wire (pf to 9v wire into fiber optic) piggybacked onto the (m-motor)?

Edited by Tcp

I recommend stacking them like this. The bottom wire is an old 9V wire and goes to the fiber optics. Length is not very important, just get one you can find 20 studs or longer. The upper wire is a short PF extension cable to the M motor. That should be all you need.

800x629.jpg