Dan the Brickman

Loot Values?

So I was looking at Commodore Hornbricker's gold horde on MOC pages, and I began wondering how MY treasure pile compaired to his... :pir-classic:

so, I was wondering how much value to assign to each of my treasure pieces. I dont have nearly the same in gold, but I have huge piles of gems. I also have misc gold plated pieces and such.

If there already IS an established value system, could someone point it out, or, if not, then I propose we start working on a master treasure list, and the values of each type.

once this is established, we can truly see who has how much (plastic)wealth! :pir_laugh2:

So, to start with, how many units would 1 jewel be worth, and, are all the jewels gonna get the same value, or are different ones worth different values?

I'll start a full treasure list tomorrow, and start updating this.

Everyone start posting treasures you can think of, and about how many lego "coins" they are worth!

(note, the "actual" coins are each worth more then 1 "coin")

==========================================

Treasure/Loot Value - currency, "coin" for now

Gold coin 10 = 10 coins

Gold coin 20 = 20

Gold coin 30 = 30

Gold coin 40 = 40

coin "center holder thingy"-treat like gold bar, 50 coins?

Dollar brick = 100

Gem A = 250

Gem B = 200

Gem C = 100

Crystal(5 point)-colored are treated as 2 of same colored gemstone

Gold=500 Silver=200

2x4 gold brick = 1920

2x2 = 960

Goblets/tall fancy cups = 20 for gold, 10 for silver, 5 for "crystal"/trans-colored(all)

Gold (dinner) plate = 100

Silver plate = 50

Sundisk(adventurers) = 250

Idol(Indiana Jones) = 250?

Golden Shield = 500

Golden Helmet = 250

Golden Sword = 170

Crown = 200

PoP Dagger = 500?

Trophy cup = 200?

C-3PO golden promo = 10,000? :P

Ark of the Covenant=Hey! you cant put a price on a Holy vessel. You get an invincible army instead.

Gem Table:

A:

B:

C:

....This is a WIP for now, and I'd like the communities input on this. post ideas/comments below.

Edited by Dan the Brickman

If you were to value them by rarity, then they would go from most valuable to least valuable:

Neon Orange/Medium Blue

Purple

Yellow

Clear

Blue

Dark Pink

Green

Neon Green

Dark Blue

Red

That's a very quick estimation, and doesn't take into account how old the sets are that they appeared in, and how expensive the sets are. Or how common they are in Bricklink, which might be another indicator.

There are a lot of things to take into account, but I'm sure it can be done. Sadly I have no neon orange or medium blue or purple... how disappointing.

I have one Neon Orange one! I'm rich! Athough it is got a few bit marks on it because the bottom thing would never fit onto bricks.

so, I was wondering how much value to assign to each of my treasure pieces.

Well that's a tough one because the value of commodities tend to fluctuate :pir-grin:

Heh.. funny..

Back when I was a kid, my sister, and 2 other friends would build/play in Lego towns..

Although we had some pirate sets, and some original lego coins... we didn't have enough for currency

Each of us had shops, and could trade with others..

and we did the same thing... we used transparent 1x1 square plates for money

and even then.. it was obvious that the rarer pieces would be worth more.

$10 - Red (most common)

$20 - Yellow

$50 - Blue

$100- Green (rare)

A side-effect of using those pieces: none of our cars had head, or tail lights!!! :D

RB

Here's what Im thinking for gemstones:

1-assign each of the colored gems to 1 of 3 "rarity/value" ratings. a,b, or c.

Gems of an A value, will equal 250 coins.

Gems of B quality will be worth 200

and c quality will be worth 100

2-crystals(5 pointed) shall be counted as if they were 2 of the same colored gem.

so, 1 red crystal, would be the same as 2 red gems.

the crystals you must realize are basically large chunks of "unrefined" ore, and once "cut" would equal approximately the same mass as 2 of the gem pieces...

2b-gold or silver crystals shall be counted as large chunks of gold/silver ore.

for gold(gold plated/shiny, or the gold colored) they would be 500, silver will be 200.

Gold bricks(like found in a few of the special anniversary sets)

2x4 brick equals the mass of 48 coins. assume each was the "40" coin, and it would be worth 1920 coins. 2x2 brick are half that, at 960coins.

This isnt a "Look how much loot I got" thread. :pir-sceptic:

YET! :pir_laugh2:

I think now we just need to decide what gems go in which category, and if anyone has any suggestions/objections/comments on the values I have come up with, thats what I want right now.

THEN we start bragging about our plunder! arrg!

:pir-sweet:

*snip*

and we did the same thing... we used transparent 1x1 square plates for money

*snip*

Actually some of the 90's "Castle" sets did that but they used round 1x1 studs instead.

If you were to value them by rarity, then they would go from most valuable to least valuable:

Neon Orange/Medium Blue

Purple

Yellow

Clear

Blue

Dark Pink

Green

Neon Green

Dark Blue

Red

That's a very quick estimation, and doesn't take into account how old the sets are that they appeared in, and how expensive the sets are. Or how common they are in Bricklink, which might be another indicator.

There are a lot of things to take into account, but I'm sure it can be done. Sadly I have no neon orange or medium blue or purple... how disappointing.

Didn't you know you could order a complete set of gems off this guy on eBay? That's how I got every color, or at least... just about every one. :pir-cry_happy: I need to go look at my treasures again and see what I all have. :pir-classic:

This isnt a "Look how much loot I got" thread. :pir-sceptic:

THEN we start bragging about our plunder! arrg!

Correct, it is not, that's what this thread is for. Treasure Count

I always thought that clear diamonds are most valulabe in Lego world. You know diamonds!

We have 3 different crystals now:

diamond type:

30153.jpg

ore type:

52.gif

And other type:

Like 30213pb01.jpg and Atlantis rings

IMO Ore type is cheaper because it's how minifigs are findin'g it in earth/sea. And after some work we get a diamond type- pure crystal. And others are most expensive because they are crystal items.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I don't quite see the point of this topic. Why would we need to establish an absolute rating for some Lego parts' 'value in the Lego world'? Come on, guys, it's Lego... creativity! Think of a rating system yourself and change it whenever you feel like! Heck, there are no rules!

What could you gain from making others use the same rating system as you except for showing off with something *err* actually un-show-off-able? Would you really enjoy reading "'HA even though you have more of those really beautiful rubies, I'm richer than you because I've got tons of that ugly yellow ones and they are worth much more according to the ranking, haha!' - 'Damn, I suck, I should clearly buy more sets with yellow gems in it.'"?

I would understand the topic better if we were asked to explain how we have always handled it and to exchange some Lego-ish experience or whatever. Yet the topic starter doesn't want us to tell him our systems just for giggles, he wants us to tell him how to frame his system...

@funkybrick

I suppose you have some good points there, and i cant really argue with you, but I suppose here are my reasons:

1-"Why would we need to establish an absolute rating for some Lego parts' 'value in the Lego world'?"

a: The idea here was to come up with some kind of way to measure all of your lego treasure in terms of the lego "gold coin" standard.

Why the coin? It was the first real treasure piece, and both me and my friends would compare our hordes this way. For some of you, this may seem un-aplicable, or even silly/stupid. After all, it is one of those ways to show off that I have more, more weath,power, might etc. ...like Joey thinks having more hair makes him a better pirate, lol.

I suppose the is no need on one hand, but there is on the other. If we all dont use that same standard, its hard to compare unlike terms....

This is basically trying to make it so we all use X to measure with, instead of me using X, you using Z, and someone else using A. (to put this in mathematical terms.)

2- "What could you gain from making others use the same rating system as you"... "except for showing off with something *err* actually un-show-off-able?"

Thats exactly the point of this. to say Look at my ridiculous collection of molded plastic! ...er, isnt that what we all do here with lego? (In one way or another.)

For example, everyone thinks that the white mandalorian figure is the hot starwars mini-fig to die for. Of course, we humans have decided that since he is in a different color then his other popular counterpart, and also in more "limited" supply, he must of course be worth more. Even though, (in my opinion) he looks really odd, and not really playable/fits in with the other lego people... In truth, both our hero (villian?) Boba Fett, Jango, and that white oddball, are all molded to the same shape, but they just use a different dye in the plastic... the PLASTIC. If you were to look at this from the point of veiw of someone who is not a Lego fan, they would say we are All nuts, a bunch of grown adults wasting away our paychecks on worthless plastic!

(here I would also say THEY are crazy, I mean is lego the greatest thing since.....)

A- For those who want to - this would provide a fair system to compare unlike quantities, by giving us a conversion standard.

2.2- 'Damn, I suck, I should clearly buy more sets with yellow gems in it.'"? - at this point, I believe using a simpler system, of just using 2 or 3 "values" and assigning all the gems to either common, or rare. more based on real life value, but with uber rare colors in lego terms in mind. or, just make all gems type pieces have the same value. but a value comparable to the lego coin.

3-I would understand the topic better if we were asked to explain how we have always handled it and to exchange some Lego-ish experience or whatever. Yet the topic starter doesn't want us to tell him our systems just for giggles, he wants us to tell him how to frame his system...

a- yes, feel free to share how you do it, and your opinions on value and such, and your experience in this subject

b- yes, i want everyone else to help determine this, so that its a fair system, agreed on by at least a few people, with various opinions/viewpoints, rather then me just make a system and "make" everyone use it. This way, I'm not unfairly "adjusting" values to make my collection seem worth more, and people cant accuse me of doing this.

------------------------------------------------------------

thanks funkybrick for bringing this up, and these were some fair points to consider.

I hope Im not offending anyone by this (topic) , and if it doest interest you, or you think its ridiculous/stupid, thats your opinion, and you dont have to be part of it.

Yes, this is silly. Im trying to create a set standard to measure "unmeasurable", and somewhat hard to classify pieces. This is a "mine is bigger/better" kind of thing, I will admit, but meant in a fun way.

Ultimately, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

If you would like to help with, or use this chart, then feel free. If not, thats ok. As long as we can all be friends, and play with worthless pieces of plastic together, thats all that really matters here.

PS, feel free to share any systems you use, opinions etc, sorry if that wasnt clear on that, but that is part of the topic.... how much you have, is for another topic.

@funkybrick

I suppose you have some good points there, and i cant really argue with you, but I suppose here are my reasons:

1-"Why would we need to establish an absolute rating for some Lego parts' 'value in the Lego world'?"

a: The idea here was to come up with some kind of way to measure all of your lego treasure in terms of the lego "gold coin" standard.

Why the coin? It was the first real treasure piece, and both me and my friends would compare our hordes this way. For some of you, this may seem un-aplicable, or even silly/stupid. After all, it is one of those ways to show off that I have more, more weath,power, might etc. ...like Joey thinks having more hair makes him a better pirate, lol.

I suppose the is no need on one hand, but there is on the other. If we all dont use that same standard, its hard to compare unlike terms....

This is basically trying to make it so we all use X to measure with, instead of me using X, you using Z, and someone else using A. (to put this in mathematical terms.)

2- "What could you gain from making others use the same rating system as you"... "except for showing off with something *err* actually un-show-off-able?"

Thats exactly the point of this. to say Look at my ridiculous collection of molded plastic! ...er, isnt that what we all do here with lego? (In one way or another.)

For example, everyone thinks that the white mandalorian figure is the hot starwars mini-fig to die for. Of course, we humans have decided that since he is in a different color then his other popular counterpart, and also in more "limited" supply, he must of course be worth more. Even though, (in my opinion) he looks really odd, and not really playable/fits in with the other lego people... In truth, both our hero (villian?) Boba Fett, Jango, and that white oddball, are all molded to the same shape, but they just use a different dye in the plastic... the PLASTIC. If you were to look at this from the point of veiw of someone who is not a Lego fan, they would say we are All nuts, a bunch of grown adults wasting away our paychecks on worthless plastic!

(here I would also say THEY are crazy, I mean is lego the greatest thing since.....)

A- For those who want to - this would provide a fair system to compare unlike quantities, by giving us a conversion standard.

2.2- 'Damn, I suck, I should clearly buy more sets with yellow gems in it.'"? - at this point, I believe using a simpler system, of just using 2 or 3 "values" and assigning all the gems to either common, or rare. more based on real life value, but with uber rare colors in lego terms in mind. or, just make all gems type pieces have the same value. but a value comparable to the lego coin.

3-I would understand the topic better if we were asked to explain how we have always handled it and to exchange some Lego-ish experience or whatever. Yet the topic starter doesn't want us to tell him our systems just for giggles, he wants us to tell him how to frame his system...

a- yes, feel free to share how you do it, and your opinions on value and such, and your experience in this subject

b- yes, i want everyone else to help determine this, so that its a fair system, agreed on by at least a few people, with various opinions/viewpoints, rather then me just make a system and "make" everyone use it. This way, I'm not unfairly "adjusting" values to make my collection seem worth more, and people cant accuse me of doing this.

------------------------------------------------------------

thanks funkybrick for bringing this up, and these were some fair points to consider.

I hope Im not offending anyone by this (topic) , and if it doest interest you, or you think its ridiculous/stupid, thats your opinion, and you dont have to be part of it.

Yes, this is silly. Im trying to create a set standard to measure "unmeasurable", and somewhat hard to classify pieces. This is a "mine is bigger/better" kind of thing, I will admit, but meant in a fun way.

Ultimately, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

If you would like to help with, or use this chart, then feel free. If not, thats ok. As long as we can all be friends, and play with worthless pieces of plastic together, thats all that really matters here.

PS, feel free to share any systems you use, opinions etc, sorry if that wasnt clear on that, but that is part of the topic.... how much you have, is for another topic.

Wow, I really didn't expect such a long answer.

In terms of the White Mandalorian you mentioned, it's an entirely different matter. This special Mandalorian fellow is highly sough-after because of his 'value in the real world', whereas with the gems in the system it's all about their 'value in the Lego world' (i.e. how to properly use them in play).

The thing is, the latter's value is free for anyone to change (e.g. "I like rubies the most, so they are worth the most in my Lego world"), yet you can't change the high value of the former (e.g. "I don't like the look of the Mandalorian that much, so I'll buy him for 50% of its current price" is not possible). This is what makes the Mandalorian so popular: it's rarety and worth. If it appeared in 10 sets and the average BL price was 5$ people would scream: "Oh no, that megablocking dull fig again." rather than "YAY YAY YAY I've got a White Mandalorian!"

What I mean is, you HAVE to overcome a barrier when looking to buy a White Mandalorian (price). However, if you want some Lego diamonds because they were declared 'highly valuable in the Lego world' in a Lego forum, there is no such barrier and a 5$ BL purchase will make you 'rich'.

The Mandalorian is naturally popular, whereas the most valuable gem is 'made popular' by assigning him a 'great worth in the Lego world'. Of course, both are just molded plastic, but it's just not the same.

Oh, and I (and presumably all other forum members) am NOT offended by this topic, just as I didn't mean to insult or offend anyone with my reply. It's just not my field of interest. Maybe there are some you will call this 'the greatest topic they have had for a long time', but I don't belong to this group. And yeah, it's my solemn opinion that your personal play should not be influenced the opinions of others.

I didnt expect this topic to take such a....philosophical turn...

What you said about the gems is true, which is why now, instead of making each color have a separate value, just make gems all have the same value, (in this lego loot scale).

-------------------------------

A this point, If anyone thinks this is a great idea, or would like this to be continued, let me know. Otherwise, If no-one else wants to discuss or work on this, then i suppose we might as well close the thread. If nobody responds after a week, I'll just let the thread die/get closed.

It was a lot of work just rounding up and counting all those coins. First off, in Lego terms I think the coins are way more valuable than gems as they are rarer, gems are everywhere!

As for the rest, I fear I will have to hire a Lego accountant to keep track for me.