Superkalle

LDD Design Contest Discussion thread

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, what about string? Unless I'm totally blind, it's not in LDD in any mode, and even if it was there would be no way to get it to the sort of things string does. Can I use this in my model and make a note of where it goes and how its used?

Secondly ( and I can probably guess the answer to this one ), one of the things I was contemplating designing and ordering would need a custom part, specifically a 2cm square or so piece of paper or cloth ( easily made yourself obviously). I'm guessing this wouldn't be allowed?

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, what about string? Unless I'm totally blind, it's not in LDD in any mode, and even if it was there would be no way to get it to the sort of things string does. Can I use this in my model and make a note of where it goes and how its used?

Secondly ( and I can probably guess the answer to this one ), one of the things I was contemplating designing and ordering would need a custom part, specifically a 2cm square or so piece of paper or cloth ( easily made yourself obviously). I'm guessing this wouldn't be allowed?

1) You can add the string and put it next to the model and add a comment.

2) You got it. No custom parts allowed :classic:

Firstly I'd like to say what a great contest. I read about this on Bricklink and (to be honest) joined up purely to learn how to unlock the extra bricks in LDD. But now I'm actually considering entering.

Hope this is not a stupid question & I haven't missed anything I should have read before asking, but...

In the LDD + Real Bricks contest what if I want a specific minifig in my physical version eg Indiana Jones in a Tuxedo - is it acceptable to use a generic figure in LDD as a representation?

Firstly I'd like to say what a great contest. I read about this on Bricklink and (to be honest) joined up purely to learn how to unlock the extra bricks in LDD. But now I'm actually considering entering.

Hope this is not a stupid question & I haven't missed anything I should have read before asking, but...

In the LDD + Real Bricks contest what if I want a specific minifig in my physical version eg Indiana Jones in a Tuxedo - is it acceptable to use a generic figure in LDD as a representation?

Thanks for the nice comments on the contest. And you're more than welcome to join the rest of us LDD geeks/users/superpeople (chose whichever suits you best) here at the LDD forum.

That's a good question, and the answer is yes, it's OK to use generic figures as a representation if it's only the print that's missing in LDD. However you cannot use a part that's not in LDD (like the Darth Vaders Helmet).

Thanks for the nice comments on the contest. And you're more than welcome to join the rest of us LDD geeks/users/superpeople (chose whichever suits you best) here at the LDD forum.

That's a good question, and the answer is yes, it's OK to use generic figures as a representation if it's only the print that's missing in LDD. However you cannot use a part that's not in LDD (like the Darth Vaders Helmet).

That answers my question perfectly, thanks. And for the record, I think I might be classed as nerd?

For the contest, is it okay to have a plain torso that isn't available, but when a printed version is?

For example:

Piece #973 (Torso Plain) doesn't come in dark blue, but in the actual LDD model, I made the torso with 973pb86c01 print. Is this okay?

For the contest, is it okay to have a plain torso that isn't available, but when a printed version is?

For example:

Piece #973 (Torso Plain) doesn't come in dark blue, but in the actual LDD model, I made the torso with 973pb86c01 print. Is this okay?

I'm not sure I understand 100%. Can you explain some more? (Look also at my reply a couple of posts up if that helps any).

I'm not sure I understand 100%. Can you explain some more? (Look also at my reply a couple of posts up if that helps any).

Okay...

To check the availability of the pieces on BL, I imported my model onto LDD manager, and since it disregards prints, it said that Piece #973 (Torso Plain) doesn't come in dark blue, but in the actual LDD model, if you open it up and look at it, it's shown as 973pb86c01. Is this okay?

Edited by prateek

Okay...

To check the availability of the pieces on BL, I imported my model onto LDD manager, and since it disregards prints, it said that Piece #973 (Torso Plain) doesn't come in dark blue, but in the actual LDD model, if you open it up and look at it, it's shown as 973pb86c01. Is this okay?

Yes, it's OK.

For LDD + Real Entry, is it okay to use a piece in LDD that is in new grey, while using an old grey piece in the real entry?

For LDD + Real Entry, is it okay to use a piece in LDD that is in new grey, while using an old grey piece in the real entry?

No, not really, since it's so easy in LDD to use old gray instead. See here how to use old gray (or any other color) in LDD.

No, not really, since it's so easy in LDD to use old gray instead. See here how to use old gray (or any other color) in LDD.

Okay, thanks. I never knew you could use old grey in LDD :classic:

Hey, i kinda got into the contest myself and i have a problem.

I need a lot of 2x2 tiles on the baseplates for my LDD-only creation (which take up like 800 bricks). I could change them to bigger ones like 1x8 or 2x4 (and lower the brick count by 300-400 and add more features), but if the MOC would be eventually be created in real bricks, it wouldn't look that good (because of the minor gaps between the tiles and the texture the gaps make). From the LDD point of view it doesn't matter which ones i use, because the gaps aren't visible. So my question is, can i make a "special" version (that will look exactly the same) for the LDD contest but will be in the 2500 brick count limit and later on after the contest just exchange the file with the original?

Hey, i kinda got into the contest myself and i have a problem.

I need a lot of 2x2 tiles on the baseplates for my LDD-only creation (which take up like 800 bricks). I could change them to bigger ones like 1x8 or 2x4 (and lower the brick count by 300-400 and add more features), but if the MOC would be eventually be created in real bricks, it wouldn't look that good (because of the minor gaps between the tiles and the texture the gaps make). From the LDD point of view it doesn't matter which ones i use, because the gaps aren't visible. So my question is, can i make a "special" version (that will look exactly the same) for the LDD contest but will be in the 2500 brick count limit and later on after the contest just exchange the file with the original?

Hi Bojan

Just to fully understand your question, which class do you intend to compete in "LDD Only" or "LDD + Real Bricks", or both?

Hi Bojan

Just to fully understand your question, which class do you intend to compete in "LDD Only" or "LDD + Real Bricks", or both?

With this specific creation in "LDD Only".

Just to make things a bit more clearer. I have tiled floor on baseplates (basicly single color with some exceptions). If i tile it with 2x2 tiles, then it looks good in physical and virtual world. If i tile it with less brick count (so use other tiles like 1x8, 1x6, 2x4, even 6x6 or 8x16), then it represents the same thing, looks the same in LDD, but if made out of bricks, the gaps make an "unusual" and ugly pattern, not the uniform one like with the 2x2 tiles. I will eventually make this in physical too, but right now i lack a lot of parts in specific colors, so this one will only compete in "LDD only" category. That's why i intend to do 2 different LXFs, one with the uniform pattern tiling (and brick count greater then 2500) and one for the competition that will look the same in LDD but with much less brick count.

With this specific creation in "LDD Only".

Just to make things a bit more clearer. I have tiled floor on baseplates (basicly single color with some exceptions). If i tile it with 2x2 tiles, then it looks good in physical and virtual world. If i tile it with less brick count (so use other tiles like 1x8, 1x6, 2x4, even 6x6 or 8x16), then it represents the same thing, looks the same in LDD, but if made out of bricks, the gaps make an "unusual" and ugly pattern, not the uniform one like with the 2x2 tiles. I will eventually make this in physical too, but right now i lack a lot of parts in specific colors, so this one will only compete in "LDD only" category. That's why i intend to do 2 different LXFs, one with the uniform pattern tiling (and brick count greater then 2500) and one for the competition that will look the same in LDD but with much less brick count.

I gottcha. This is a boardline case, but OK you are allowed to use the 2x4, 6x6 etc to reduce your brick count, but only if those tiles (2x4, 6x6 etc) exist in the color you want to use.

Hello my fellow lego friends

my name is Tony in america

and here is my entry

it is a life size captain rex head

I hope you enjoy the entry

I have posted my LDD in the starwars forum

please check it out

and if anyone can help walk me through the way to post the 4 screenshots

that I have with the file location I would greatly appreciate it ..Tony

Edited by joelego

Hello my fellow lego friends

my name is Tony in america

and here is my entry

it is a life size captain rex head

I hope you enjoy the entry

Post here :classic:

Yes, of course, all the bricks in their colors have to exist in physical form too (that's one of the basic rules for the contest). Btw, with this project i really started to use your LDD Manager and i must say it's really really really usefull.

Just one more thing. Minifig parts are included into the 2500 count or is the brick count cap at 2500 + 50 * 4 (legs, torso, head, hair)? I think i read somewhere that minifigs are extra, but can't find the post :wacko:

Yes, of course, all the bricks in their colors have to exist in physical form too (that's one of the basic rules for the contest). Btw, with this project i really started to use your LDD Manager and i must say it's really really really usefull.

Just one more thing. Minifig parts are included into the 2500 count or is the brick count cap at 2500 + 50 * 4 (legs, torso, head, hair)? I think i read somewhere that minifigs are extra, but can't find the post :wacko:

You're right - Minifigs and all their subparts (head, torso etc) are extra. I.e. yo can use 2500 parts and ontop of that you can add 50 minifigures.

Post here :classic:

I am having trouble moving it to that forum

can the admin do it for me

I am getting a file to big to download

I am having trouble moving it to that forum

can the admin do it for me

I am getting a file to big to download

Is this problem still open? If yes, can you give a bit more info of what goes wrong for you, like a per-step overview of what you are doing and where it goes wrong.

Is it ok for the real brick model to be different from the LDD model? I developed mine initially in LDD but as always the build out always changes. So while they are the same MOC, the final execution has changed. I'm assuming its ok as the contest is also supposed to show how LDD can be used to develop your ideas.

Cheers

For LDD only, is it okay to disregard stability of the real model, or do we have to take that into consideration. For example, I'm building a wall that is 32 studs long. Instead of doin 8+16+8 bricks on top of 16+16, I just put 16+16 bricks teh whole way up. Is this okay?