Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

WIP - some fine old automobiles

Here's something I've been working on the past few weeks. I was thinking about making a diorama, perhaps a Vintage Car dealership with buildings, signs, parking lot etc.

WIP_Automobiles.jpg

A always with my MOCs, they are built using only Lego Legal techniques and designed to resist being played with (no flimsy solutions for me). The cars are all 8 stud wide, the smallest I could do but still retain a realistic look. I have been inspired by photos on the internet, but the Lego designs are all original (as far as I know, haven't seen anything like it on the internet :classic:)

The cars (click to see originals)

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom

1952 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud

ca 1939 Ford Coupe Custom

Next step is to order parts and build them. The only problem I have right now is the tan color - the 1x10 slope and the cheese slope does not yet exist in tan. And using white instread doesn't look good.

To round off with, here is screenshot of my LDD workspace. I like to play around with colors schemes which is basically only possible digitally. There are also some alterantive fronts you can see. In the middle is a ca 1950 Ford Coupe in Yellow that I'm working on. You can also see how I've layed out some critical parts and the color they exist in.

Workspace_Automobiles.jpg

Looking cool! Do the other two have the wheels at back? Flame one is the best!

Edited by Zblj

Looking cool! Do the other two have the wheels at back? Flame one is the best!

Yes, all cars have wheels in the back, but to to fit, they had to be smaller in size.

Wow! Nice work, Superkalle! :thumbup:

All the cars look perfect! I can't wait to see your dealership!

Eight studs wide is awfully large for minifig scale, but I understand the difficulty of working with smaller scales when making such detailed and realistic cars. And I'm not against ridiculously-sized vehicles like those from the Agents theme-- it just seems like your dealership will have to be awfully large if it's going to look reasonable next to all these cars.

They look phenomenal, though. I like the one in the workspace screenshot which fades from red to orange to yellow.

Ah, wow, these are great! I love the shapes, especially since you made this in LDD :thumbup:

They look really good man i think a diorama would look really good, maybe a street one as well?

Very nice 'Superkalle' - classic cars of the 1920's till 1950's in LDD - AWESOME stuff ! :grin:

The 1925 Rolls and 1935 Ford are my favorites 1

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Eight studs wide is awfully large for minifig scale,

Yeah, I know. I think I'm not going to make the diorama with minifigs in it. It will just look bad. We'll see how it evolves.