Sign in to follow this  
gylman

keychain madness

For those who care (which probably is..... no one, but w/e) I thought that I would share the current status of my keychain obsession. By hook and by crook (but mostly by excessive expenditures) I have significnatly expanded the fabuland portion of the collection.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gylman/k...l_fabulands.jpg

If anyone on EB has fabulands keychains that are not on this display, and which are in reasonable condition..... I would be keen to buy and you may be shocked how much money they can be worth (although not as much as the people on bricklink seem to think they are).

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=legod...&itemID=4117702

NOT! :-X

My old display no longer is up to the task and has to be revised.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?G=KCF18

Gyl

(keychain collectin' fool)

i've always liked fabuland, but i never thought they had keychains of it. it is nice to see some fabuland again anyway.

the only keychain i have is the one ras gave me in billund: darth vader and he's doing what he's supposed to do: guarding my keys!

I love LEGO keychains.

Right now on my keychain I have a classic Majisto one I got back in '94 or so, the standard 2x4 red brick, and a 1x6 red brick with the Brickjournal logo engraved that Joe Meno gave to me.

Looking forward to adding Batman to it soon! (hopefully)

I like the LEGO keychains, but since I'm not quite old enough to drive yet I don't really have anywhere to put them.

I like the LEGO keychains, but since I'm not quite old enough to drive yet I don't really have anywhere to put them.

You could put them on a display like gylman did, or on a backpack. ;-)

My understanding is that this year's new keychains are Vikings, Exo Force, and a couple more Star Wars ones.

Here is a picture

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gylman/k...t_additions.jpg

Bottom row, four keychains on left - viking, exo, Imperial guard, Boba Fett. That's all I have from 2006 so far. I sure hope there are others coming...

I assume Batman will come eventually, but apparently not in 2006. That will be an awesome set - really looking forward to it.

Notice, however, that we never got Knights' Kingdom keychains, which really surprised and disappointedme. We got the magnets, but they are nowhere near as much fun.

I love that yellow classic space keychain. If I see that next time I'm in a Lego store, I'll be picking it up for sure *wub*

I love that yellow classic space keychain. If I see that next time I'm in a Lego store, I'll be picking it up for sure *wub*

*sweet* LMAO. It's a beautiful keychain no doubt. But, it's about 20 or more years old, and is rather hard to find. It will set you back a buck or two.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Palmboy&itemID=5815990

However, if you see it in a store somwhere, pick up 12 or so for me ;-)

Heh, I thought it was a new one :-P

Anyway, I'll want at least 1 keychain. I'll see what they have enxt time I visit a Lego Store...

I think I heard somewhere that that Space keychain is coming back.

Yikes! if they released a whole bunch of new ones that would devastate the black market in ancient space keychains!! My life savings! Gone! :-P

I think I heard somewhere that that Space keychain is coming back.

Yikes! if they released a whole bunch of new ones that would devastate the black market in ancient space keychains!! My life savings! Gone! :-P

Quick! Sell yours now before its too late! :tongue:

I am sure that if a new batch of space keyrings come out there will be differences between them so you can tell which is old or new, much like the black falcon figs. Anyway, I dunno why Lego would release old space keyrings anyway, unless they re-release the old space set.. then we're talking! :biggrin:

Jon.

Interesting.....

Rumor is that a few years ago, as they were cleaning out an old warehouse for demolition in central France, in an unmarked crate that had not been opened in 20 years, sealed in an uncommonly hard to open Lego S@H box (they had to use a knife!) they discovered a huge load of ancient keychains that had not seen the light of day for 20+ years.

The cleanup crew that originally discovered these keychains has gone missing, and Interpol has been involved.

No one knows what happened to these keychains, but it may be more than coincidence that several years later, certain sellers, in France and HongKong, who cannot be named at this time *skull* , have recently released extremely rare keychains onto the market in unusual quanity.

The only thing is, that there apparently was a curse associated with these keychains!

"Whomesoever as shall owneth these keychains shall be cursed! All their Lego bricks will never henceforth match in color, nor shall they ever fit precisely without undue pressure and danger of popping apart". It was written in the Bionicle alphabet, which was not known to many at the time so the curse was not heeded at the time.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Tombevs/...le_alphabet.jpg

It is said that the designer who chose the colour scheme on the purple Knight Bus set had owned one these keychains, as did every member of that fateful committee at TLC that made the decisions about the new colour scheme several years ago. It was in fact these very disasters that led TLC to trace the common element to a cursed batch of keychains made in the early 1980's, given to each of these individuals when they were junior members of The Lego Club. Later on, of course, they became employees of TLC and rose to awesome corporate power. The rest as we know, is history.

Internal investigations at TLC re: the origin of the curse have come up with wide-ranging answers from Makuta, to a Megabloks plot, to the disaffected employee to designed the original maxifigs, and was bitter when they were replaced by minifigs (hence the irony of the curse on minifig keychains), but in truth no one knows.

Of course, since most keychain collectors are not builders, but simply gatherers of the flotsam and jetsam that makes its way across eBay and Bricklink, and many have often never actually built a single thing, and indeed most have not even unpacked their keychains from their cellophane wrapping, the curse bears little threat to this group. Hence the true power of hte curse is often not realized.

But if the keychains inadvertently enter the hands of a real builder, the consequences are hideous beyond imaging.

This was the winning entry in this years rtlToronto train contest, AFTER the winner was given one of the cursed keychains as part of the prize!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MrDennis...cStuff/pile.jpg

This was BFS' greatest creation ever! But then his children got him a cursed keychain as a present!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Tok8/WIP...eables/pile.jpg

I could show more, but the horror is just too great *alien* .

So, all I have to say is.... if someone offers you a 20+ year old keychain for a price that seems too good to be true..... just make sure you have no current MOCs in the works or on display. Better yet, send it me - I test it to see if it is safe, and if found to be cursed I will take it upon myself, with no risk to you, to store it securely until such time as this hideous curse can be lifted.

Sincerely.

Gyl

Wow...an old-school LEGO figure keychain...that's definatly worth getting *wub*

I've had a basic red brick keychain on my keys for the past several years now...the only problem is, over time they tend to erode down and get all rounded off...so every time I go to the LEGO Shop I buy one or two so I can keep rotating fresh ones onto my keys deino.gif