Sign in to follow this  
Vader

Review: 7780 Batman - The Batboat: Hunt for Killer Croc

Ok well i like some others here feel its always best to have a few reviews of new sets (and old) therefore i thought i would add my 2 cence on the batboat.

Well were to start on this little beauty, ok lets go from the top Ill start with the front and the cockpit.

dscf1067.jpg

As you can see in the pic above the front of this boat is exactly the same as that of the last world city boat set, which is ok as that set was good however i would of preffered a new design.

dscf1057.jpg

Ok now we have an inside look of the cockpit, as you can see we have a printed (yeah printed) sloped brick and a dark gray plate with handles for the Bat to use to control the boatand this looks good.

Now the bad as you can seetheres not much else and then thers that green brick with technic pin but ill get to that later. One thing the cockpit does allow is for us to customize to our hearts desire.

dscf1069.jpg

Above we have a side view of the boat as you can see we have some nice looking engines to power the boat and some wings attached to bat it up so to speak. So it looks good but theres a slight problem here in my eyes and thats in how loosely the engines move around, there attached to each other by a single bar so that they can move but it would of been better had lego used something alittle more tighter.

The wings themselves move up and down but thats about all they do which isnt a problem.

dscf1059.jpg

Ok here we have the back view, now ive pulled the smaller boat away from the bigger boat and as you can see we have a green technic brick thats used to attach the boats together, rather strange colour choice in my opinion but not unlike lego.

dscf1068.jpg

Now this green brick does look out of place but at least its easy to change to a gray or black. Also im not sure on the modified tan plate i think most will also change this.

dscf1061.jpg

Ok so thats the big boat done so how about the small one, well for me this boat is ok not great by along shot but ok.

The main problems with it have to be the lack of any controls for batman to use and yet again the green bricks and technic pin hanging out of the back as pictured below. Here lego have used 2 green bricks which just seems silly to me, apart from that the boat is acutally quite nice and very well put together.

dscf1062.jpg

dscf1063.jpg

Now on to Killer Coc's boat:

dscf1064.jpg

Well what can i say about crocs ride, well how about for starters its all printed with no damn stickers yippppy.

Just under the printed slopes we have a hinge that allows for the 2 slopes to be moved up and down slightly this in turn allows croc to fit in rather snuggly, he cant sit only stand but then thats ok.

dscf1065.jpg

On the sides we have a rather different looking missiles ones that i dont think have been used before. For me they just dont look like missiles and just seem strange, they also seem alittle to close to croc for my liking.

You may also notice that we again have green bricks with a technic pin sticking out of the back, now this time the green isnt so much of a problem but there seems to be no reasion for the technic pin unless of course you wish to attach it to the batboat. I can see how that has great playability but it just dosent look right to me, still the problem can be easily fixed by anyone wishing to moc it up.

dscf1066.jpg

The rather pointless technic pin.

dscf1055.jpg

Ok so onto the figs, well i think weve all seen plenty of pics of these but i have to say that the croc fig is much darker than i was expecting. This is a good think IMO, as for the batman well hes cool even if the helmet is way to big some how it just seems to work.

dscf1073.jpg

Now onto the Guns!!!!! These are just beautiful :'-) Having wanted lego to make guns for what seems like ages im finally happy and very pleased to get some, whats best is that lego have not only given us guns but they have also made them look great and unlike the SW guns (dont get me started on those) these feel right and just make the figs look even sweeter. For this lego deserves a big pat on the back and a thank you.

As for other accesories here we have pics of the bat gadjets:

dscf10791111.jpg

dscf1079fhfh.jpg

These like the guns are well made and fit the batman just right, though im not sure what the second bat gadjets are and what the hole in them can be used for.

Now we come to the cuffs, when i first saw pics of them i wondered how well they would attach to the figs and if they would stay on. Well im happy to say that they fit tightly and seem to snap into place holding onto the figs arms just right.

dscf1072.jpg

dscf1074.jpg

Well thats my review over and done with and i hope youve enjoyed reading it, feel free to ask for more pics or if you have any questions.

Overall i like this set and am very please with it. As stated above it has some small problems but none that cant be fixed.

I rate this set an 8 out of 10.

So watch this space for another batman set review: Same Bat time, Same Bat channel.........

Thanks for the kind words *yoda* , ok on to your questions:

The grill tiles colour seems to be a golden colour one that i havent seen before or at least dont remember seeing.

I did have the boat set but used most of it for parts once i find the piece ill try and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the close up pics Vader, they really help to see the detail in the set. I only just realised how little there is too this set, probably won't end up getting it but its nice to see what its like.

I do however, love the figs and weapons.. one of the best things about the Batman line!!!

Jon.

The bat accessories with the hole in the center are to put on the end of the smaller gun to make it look like a grapple gun that batman uses.

Nice review

After Seeing your pics of those jet engines and how theyre attached

I can see one place where Lego Really Missed Out on the playability features

They should have put wheels on the bottom of the boat, so you can glide it around your desk

With technic rods connecting the swiveling engines, to swiveling wheels directly below them

so turning the engines also turns little wheels (use airplane caster wheels) for steering

Now that would have really been Awesome

too bad I don't work for Lego.... I'd have pointed it out first thing, not that complicated to build....

If I wasnt buying this set for the parts to build an ORCA ORCA_Craft.jpg

then I'd definetly add wheels... maybe someone else can do that mod...

I like this review, it's a lot more in-depth, because you covered the boat splitting, and other things, and we finally have a picture of the Batcuffs on someone. KUTGW!

The white strip is for when the cowls on the head, it gives the cowl its white eyes.

Same reason I love, but hate the clone helmits! Put them ona black-headed fig and it looks awesome. Try and put it on a fig with eyes and...well, it doesn't line up.

Same reason I love, but hate the clone helmits! Put them ona black-headed fig and it looks awesome. Try and put it on a fig with eyes and...well, it doesn't line up.

Dunno why they can't just make helmets (both the clones and batman) with No eye holes instead. Just an indentation with painted eyes that are part of the helmet....

Then we'd win both ways, nice helmet, normal face underneath....

One thing that really surprised me is that lego didnt print the white strip and lips on the back of the head, so that we have an undamaged bruse face.

One thing that really surprised me is that lego didnt print the white strip and lips on the back of the head, so that we have an undamaged bruse face.

Exactly !! They did it with Catwoman !! I don't understand why they didn't do a double faced Bruce !

Oh well, I guess a classic peach smiley head might do the trick for our classic Bruce in a bat costume but without the calf ;-)

*yoda*

Now that is just Genius! great idea

batman's face is simple enough that you just might be able to carefully wipe that white band off, and paint a new one on the back too

(got to be careful that you don't lose his eyebrows is all...)

...and actually, now that I check peeron.com... the old stormtroopers and darth vader helmets have painted visors with normal faces underneath

That means that all these new minifigs with deformed and missing faces, someone thought was a 'Good idea', ugh!

Well you could try removing it but even if you did paint a new white line on the back you would still be missing a mouth.

Darn...

I forgot the mouth...

Okay, how about this:

carefully remove the funny headband from batman's head

but rather than paint a new one on the back

glue a very thin piece of white plastic or paper to the inside of the cowl/helmet/mask piece?

I was wondering about the technic rod that connects the little jetski thing to the boat, is the rod just a normal 3rod? or does it have a stopper on one end that keeps it anchored inside?

Dunno why they can't just make helmets (both the clones and batman) with No eye holes instead. Just an indentation with painted eyes that are part of the helmet....

Then we'd win both ways, nice helmet, normal face underneath....

But what about when the helmit's taken off...?

It's actually something that they didn't think of at the time. It's been suggested for a future Batman fig.

The headband idea doesn't strike me as bad, actually, I mean people wear sweatbands to keep sweat from getting into their eyes, right? Sounds like something useful for Batman. However I'd just like if the Helmit let the eyes see out if you wanted...like I wish the clone helmits were...

Thank you for the nice review!

It was just great to see all the details of the set. Tks!

I was wondering about the technic rod that connects the little jetski thing to the boat, is the rod just a normal 3rod? or does it have a stopper on one end that keeps it anchored inside

No theres not any stopper on the end of it, it just slots in but its held very tightly and dosent come out without some force being used.

As for the white band i now believe its thers so people can have a tennis wear bruce wayne ;-)

And your welcome for the review :-)