• Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Set Number/Name: 6046 Hemlock Stronghold

Theme: Dark Forest

Year Released: 1996

Pieces Count: 216

Minifigures: 5

Price: You should be able to get a used set for less than 30 euros on ebay.

I'm in the review mood, so let's continue with digging out some classic sets! This time we take a journey into the deep, dark forest :alien: I see the dark forest theme as a continue of the forestmen theme, though dark forest had some "darkness" surrounding it, it feels like the characters are a bit more "evil" than the forestmen, if you know what i mean. :tongue: Anyhow, the theme lasted only for one year, but in my opinion brought us some nice sets, and even nicer minifigs. Let's start it up!

The Instructions:

s73f6847.jpg

The Minifigs:

s73f5763.jpg

s73f5766.jpg

s73f5764.jpg

Overall views:

s73f5755.jpg

s73f5757.jpg

s73f5756.jpg

Detailed views:

You can turn the BURP on the right side of the hideout to..well, i don't really know for what that feature is. Maybe the forestmen can push the rock as an excercise to stay in shape :tongue:

s73f5759.jpg

Back on the ground we have a lovely fountain for thirsty knights that pass by...

s73f5760.jpg

...and then find out that the water was poisoned!

s73f5762.jpg

Right beside the fountain surprisingly there is a catapult! :laugh: I must say i like the design of it:

s73f5761.jpg

Conclusion:

It's a nice et, but it could have been better. The overall design of the hideput isn't that great, and the "hiding place" between the rocks isn't worked out that good either, since you basically can axccess it from everywhere and it doesn't realyl "hide" anything. Still, things like the fountain are very nice little details, i'd like to see something like that in recent sets aswell. the main reason to get this set though would for sure be the minifigs, which are great in my opinion, especially the forestmen.

One of my favorite sets from the olden days, too bad I didn't have enough money to buy it. :cry_sad:

Great review, and I agree with you that the minifigs make this set awesome. The actual set is decent, but when combined with the minifigs it puts it over the edge (but that may just be my love for all things Forestmen talking :tongue: )

Thanks for this look at the Hemlock Stronghold.

I've always thought the 16x32 baseplate looked a little empty with this set. The main structure is a very neat design, and I like the overall look of it. The side catapult is nice for playability, and was a lot more appreciated back when this set was first released, as TLC didn't stick those on every single set yet. The minifigures are wonderful and of course help to make this set special.

great review !

Not really a fan of this set. Dont really know what its supposed to be ! The tower thing just looks jumbled, just two burps with pieces piled on top! The catapult/tree thing is also weird. I guess im a fan of realism in sets and this doesnt have too much of that ! The minifigs are great though.

Do you have ay of the other dark forest sets ? Would love to see those reviewed too.

Nice Review! :thumbup: I really like this set with all the details, even though I never new a catapult could be built into a tree. :laugh:

-

General Redwater

Thanks 'metalandi' for the review - nice play set, let me guess the forestman in green is Robin Hood eh ? :wink:

I really like the tree-come-catapult and the nasty surprise hiding in the tower ! :devil:

Dam my dark times - missed this one - I must check to see if Galaxy Toys a cross-town from me might have it - goodie !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I love vintage reviews!

Never had any Dark Forest sets. Yeah, a short 3 set theme. Hrm. Looks like the theme could have a been awesome, but I guess it didn't make it.

Yes, not nuts about the lower half of this set. It is too obvious to say that if they added another BURP or bricks it could be enclosed and then the opening feature would be a hidden way to get in? I'd MOD that for sure. The tree-camo'ed as a catapault it neat. The skeleton in cage motif was overused as it is in the Dark Forest Fortress too. It's average, I'd summary.

I might MOC some Dark Forest as I have a lot of Forestmen sets and can stretch the them a bit. Oddly it seems like Forestmen + pirate heads + darker colors = Dark Forest? Dunno.

Nice work on the review. You don't have the Fortress do you?

Edited by TheWarden

Thanks for the words so far! I appreciate that you like my reviews. :sweet:

Yes, i indeed also have the dark forest fortress, that's what i'm gonna review next!

I love the sets from the "Dark Forest" theme. I do not know why Lego only made 3 of them. Frankly, I think this one is the worst of the 3, but still it won an "above average" rating. I never owned this one, but actually looking at this review, it turns out that this set was a lot better than I remember it being. I love the minifigs especially from this theme. The fountain is especially nice. I'll admit that they could have done better on the ground floor of the structure, maybe made a secret hiding place or something, or made it more of a cave.

PS: The "Dark Forest" men, do not have pirate faces...none of them do.

PS: The "Dark Forest" men, do not have pirate faces...none of them do.

This one does.

The tower seems disappointing to me, but the DF figs and the fountain make up for it somewhat.

Edited by Ardelon

I own this set. It's not the most glamorous looking set, but it comes with 4 minifigures and the well is a nice touch. I really like the rotating catapult. I think it fits in well with the forstman since a lot of their old buildings are partial rock structures.

This one does.

The tower seems disappointing to me, but the DF figs and the fountain make up for it somewhat.

Humph! Don't know how that one slipped my mind at the time. Still, that is only one out of four.