Ok, this will be my first MOC posted here, so please be gentle with me.

1.jpg

Power: electric (Power Functions)

Dimensions: length 41 studs / width 20 studs / height 19 studs (not including aerial)

Weight: 1.518 kg

Suspension: pendular, stabilized with 2 shock absorbers per axle

Motors: 1 x PF Medium, 1 x PF XL

I've built this model for a Truck Trial race, with focus on its look and accuracy even at the cost of performance (hence the relatively small wheels and low ground clearance). It features 4x4 drive with no differentials, full pendular suspension with shock absorbers for stability, opened bonnet, doors and trunk, headlights and rear lights with PF LEDs and some basic cabin interior (e.g. a full set of sets, a steering wheel, a radio station). The trunk is opened by a pair of damped shock absorbers and locked by a simple manual catch, and the bonnet has manual catches on the hull's sides. The entire model is powered from the 8788 rechargeable battery located above the rear axle and accessible via trunk, and driven by a single PF XL motor geared down 4.5:1 (3:1 gearing is done already at the wheels' hubs). It uses portal axles and has 5 studs of ground clearance under all parts of the chassis. It did well in the race (it placed 4th out of 11 vehicles on the first section) until both chains in the drivetrain broke at once and I was forced to give up. The lesson is: never ever use chains to drive a TrTr vehicle, and I mean _never_.

You can find a complete description along with the photos here: http://sariel.pl/2010/05/hummer-h1/

And you can see a video directly here:

(but watch out for rodents!).

Hope you enjoy it.

PS. If you're scared of rodents (tricky sneaky little beasts), here are two parts of a vid covering the whole race we held:

Edited by Sariel

Ok, this will be my first MOC posted here, so please be gentle with me.

No worries, it's a piece of art! Very close to the original and ... it even drives! :wub:

Could you describe how you achieved a suspension AND motorisation?

Couldn't quite understand it from the pics...

It's a great mechanism for sure!

The slits between the two doors are a bit nasty though, hope you can close them!

A few more tiles wouldn't be bad either, but that's a matter of taste... some like studs, I don't!

Keep it up!

The technical functionality is very impressive, but I also like the look of the vehicle. There are a lot of Hummers out there, but this one strikes me as particularly well-proportioned.

Cheers,

Ralph

Awesome. Followed the development of this baby via your facebook page. As always wonderfully taken photographs, I'll certainly be reading your write up on your website when I get home.

The look of the hmmwv that you built is great and the function of the chassis is good too. This is the Rubicon Frontaxle, right?

This is the Rubicon Frontaxle, right?

With a modified steering system, yes. The steering system here is actually inferior to the one used in the Rubicon, but I needed it to make Hummer's wheels protrude forwards.

Come to think of it, I think we can safely say it has a ground clearance equal to one fat hamster :)

Edited by Sariel

I did: http://sariel.pl/2010/05/hummer-h1/

Plus there are instructions for a similar chassis at my website's download section.

Sorry I haven't figured out that there's a slide bar under the pics. :sceptic:

But thanks for pointing it out again!

A shame you had to withdraw from the race, the H1 did really well and seemes much faster than all the other vehicles...

Seeing it in that video made me feel even more impressed! :thumbup:

Sorry I haven't figured out that there's a slide bar under the pics. :sceptic:

You can use your arrow keys to move from one pic to another too.

on youtube you have said that the 62.4x20s tires has insufficent traction. on which ground did you have tested it? rocks, sand or on hard forest ground?

on youtube you have said that the 62.4x20s tires has insufficent traction. on which ground did you have tested it? rocks, sand or on hard forest ground?

From my experience the 62.4x20s tires provide good traction only on flat surfaces. The problem is the tread. The tires I've used have very, very deep tread with sharp edges. Compared to that, the 62.4x20s tires are almost smooth.

ok, thanks for the answer.

an other question: your hmmwv are not in scale 1:13 who is needed to match the polish trucktrial rules. did you have used it just for fun on the trtr track or is this an exceptional case?

your hmmwv are not in scale 1:13

On the contrary, it is exactly in the 1:13 scale.

sorry, my fault

the original H1 is 2197 mm wide, yours is 20studs wide. ok this is truly nearly 1:13 and fits to the rules

the original rubicon is 1873 mm wide, the bodywork of your rubicon is 21 studs or 168mm wide. this is nearly 1:11 and fits not to the rules. is the rubicon an exceptional Case?

sorry, thats no attack on you, iam only confused about this. can you please explain this?

sorry, my fault

the original H1 is 2197 mm wide, yours is 20studs wide. ok this is truly nearly 1:13 and fits to the rules

the original rubicon is 1873 mm wide, the bodywork of your rubicon is 21 studs or 168mm wide. this is nearly 1:11 and fits not to the rules. is the rubicon an exceptional Case?

sorry, thats no attack on you, iam only confused about this. can you please explain this?

I've explained it when I described the Rubicon at my website. Rubicon was built beyond the required scale and was allowed to join the race as an exception only.

I really like the look of this. There is no doubt that it is a Humvee. I like your choice of using the old 20x30 wheels and tires. They may be foam, but they do have excellent traction on many types of terrain. When I was doing the "stock" version of the Rubicon (to look like from the factory rather than the rock crawler), I was having trouble finding any wheels that looked right. I ended up using the 62.4x20 which are the right style but much too small. I had somehow forgotten about the old foam tires. I am now rendering the Rubicon with the big 24x43 foam tires and it looks perfect! Thanks for jogging my memory. The only detriment to these wheels and tires is that they are quite rare these days. I have many of them, but I am unwilling to pilfer them from any of my old sets so I guess I will have to try to get some more!

Nice body covering nice mechanics...is there a better way to make great moc!?

I am glad that you have finished this beauty. It looks marvelous!