70 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

indexed.gif

I'm a sucker for $20 (USD) sets, so today at TRU I had to pick up 7948 Outpost Attack (and the impulse jester and wizard but that's another story).

Set Name: Outpost Attack

Set #: 7948

Theme: Castle

Subtheme: Kingdoms

Year Released: 2010

Pieces: 194

Minifigs: 3

Price: $19.99 (USD) at TRU

00.jpg

The galliant red knights don't seem to suspect the Dragon Knight's catapult as it approaches in the picture on the back of the box:

01.jpg

Wall stickers provide the castle with some extra detail:

02.jpg

To my surprise, the set includes just two numbered bags:

03.jpg

Three figs are included; two red knights, and one Dragon Knight:

04.jpg

Once again, it's a good thing the Dragon Knight has the catapult, because he's a one-man show. :laugh:

I love these figs :wub: :

05.jpg

This catapult is definitely larger than the smaller 7950 Knight's Showdown, especially with the large wheels:

06.jpg

Here's an image from above. It does include two round projectiles:

07.jpg

I think the tower makes this set:

08.jpg

Unfortunately, no ladders are included as a means to climb to the second floor or outpost at the top:

09.jpg

Side view:

10.jpg

The middle wall section (second floor) slides out for attack/destruction play:

11.jpg

Pictured is the removable wall section:

12.jpg

The only other highlight of the tower is the lion/griffin flag that hangs over the entrance:

13.jpg

Extra pieces/accessories:

15.jpg

With the additional green/dragon knight, my Dragon Army is now at five. I will certainly enjoy buying one or more of the battle packs.

14.jpg

Thoughts On This Set

Outpost Attack (7948) is one of my favorites sets of the new Kingdoms collection. While it doesn't necessarily draw ones attention to the theme, I think it makes a very nice outpost that can be easily transformed to a Dragon Knight tower with some different flags and a few green cheese slopes. I may just do so in fact. The figs in this set are not much different than other Kingdoms sets, except for the dark grey helmet on the Dragon Knight. The tower design is rather simple, but I think it looks pretty good. The larger catapult is definitely better than the small one contained in 7950 (as mentioned above), but I'm not a huge fan of all these seige weapons. I'd rather the pieces be used for the main structure. The highlight for me is the two Dragon shields used on each side of the catapult. Now I plan to create a small battle scene with this and the Dragon Knights' Prison Tower. Oops, almost forgot, I would highly recommend this set for $20 USD. It makes a nice introductory set to the Kingdoms theme.

Thanks for the review 'The Brickster' - I too feel the tower is the best part of the set. :thumbup:

I might just be adding this to my shopping list - 2 good guys and only 1 baddie - ah well it's okay I guess.

The primary bad guy's weapon is nice, but I keep going back to the cool tower ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks for this lovely review Brickster :sweet:

This is a great little 'conflict in a box' type set. It's nice to see the Dragon Knights get a beefier siege weapon, and the outpost is a respectable little structure as well. Again, my biggest complaint with this set is the lack of details in the outpost. This could really use a treasure chest to be protected, or at least a table with a goblet or two for the good guys to take a break at. You've got a great idea about swapping the red cheese slopes and the flag so that the outpost could be used for either faction. I might just have to pick up two of this set so that I can do just that.

Thanks for the review! $20 sets are always nice, however, fantasy era counterparts had 5 and 4 figures respectively, so the number of minifigures is a slight letdown.

On a more positive note, the catapult and the tower are good. The catapult is executed solidly, and they applied the dragon color scheme nicely. The tower is good-sized and looks good from the outside, but lacks some interior.

Fair amount of weapons & such, two dragon shields are definitely welcome.

Overall, the set is highly playable, with the focus more on catapult vs tower (which are certainly good value for $20 if you like them) and less on minifigures. Had they included one more dragon guy, this set would have been over the top, but as it is, it's just average for me.

Thanks for the review. Think this is a great little set, will definitely pick one up when they are released over here.

Thanks for the review, so now we have a good look on all the new sets! I like the look of this one, the tower is simple yet effective. As for many others, the only thing bothering me is the lack of interior in the tower. But as in other sets this can easily be solved by just adding a little table, or putting in something from the advent calendar.

Thanks Brickster for the review!

I thought this set was a simple little build and makes a nice parts pack to improve the King's castle. The catapult is pretty well built as well. It does lack for ladders and other small details. Obviously the figs are great!

I definately like all of the bling included in the set. It comes with a ton of cheese wedges in dark green, red, and pearl gold! These are the first pearl gold cheese wedges made by Lego. The two dragon shields are a big plus but I would have liked just one for the Lions as well.

It looks like your figure suffers from the pinkish issue? Mine from this set looked good but the other sets had more of a pinkish hue. How does it look in real life?

Thanks for this review! :thumbup:

I voted 3 since I don't feel anything except the minifigs being that good...

I esspecially don't like the random cheese slopes on the catapults wheels, but aprt from that you're righ: it's well build for a set.

Will the stickers still fall apart over time?

The pearl dark grey weapons/armor of the bad guys are pretty much the best I have ever seen.

So in case I might ever get into castle, I'll just get the minifigs/accesoires from BL once they're cheaper!

I did the same with Pirates and I'm pretty glad with how it works.

Great review! I do have one question for anyone that has this set. On my dragon knight, his arm on I believe his left sticks out to the point of where you Can see where his arm/ wrist gets smaller. This common? I can't think of any reason why this is happening and haven't come across it before. I'm guessing they use the same molds for all mini figures.

This is a super set at a super price! :sweet: I love the figures, and the castle structure is really good! All the slope pieces look great, but it could have done with another bad guy.

This is on my growing LEGO 2010 wishlist!

Very nice, simply set. Great addition to any diorama or collection and a couple of them would work great for expanding onto the castle.

Nice review! This is a decent price, and the model isn't that bad either. Why is there a random 2x2 brown tile on the ground?

Nice review! This is a decent price, and the model isn't that bad either. Why is there a random 2x2 brown tile on the ground?

The base of the tower is not a single plate, it's two 4x10 green plates. That tile helps them hold together.

Thanks for the great review Brickster! I have been looking to expand my Lego collection and this was very helpful, so helpful in fact that I purchased my first Kingdom/Castle set - this one! I really like it and the parts should be very useful for MOCs. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Once again, thanks for a terrific review, TheBrickster!

I have to say I like this set: the tower looks really solid, the minifigs are great and I even like the catapult - those wheels look quite menacing, although it feels rather short in length! (IMHO, the siege weapons have not looked very nice since many lines ago, so my liking this one says something to me)

I bought two of these sets. They look great. I ended up connecting them to the castle. It looks nice :)

Oh, man, can you please post a couple of pictures? Doing that was the first thing that came to my mind while reading the review.

Edited by Artifex

I agree with all of the comments posted here - this set is extremely lovely and is definitely worth the $20 you paid, The Brickster. :thumbup:

I'm really liking the new Kingdoms line. It gives me the same sort of excited, nostalgic feeling as the Castle line gave me a few years ago. Finally, we are getting a Castle line that is very similar to Classic Castle, but with better parts, set design and techniques.

~A.S.

I like the set and it is the 19.95€ totally worth.

The only point I do not like is the gate. Why are there no small doors like in "Black Monarchs Ghost"?

Edited by josykay

Ooh, this set is nice! Thanks for the review.

I really like the 'simplified' look of the new castle sets, and the figs are awesome!

Nice little set with a classic feel to it; it reminds me of the last sets from the KKI line.

Thanks for sharing the review, TheBrickster!