Sign in to follow this  
Rapseflaps

Is it too late to get into Pirates?

Well?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is it too late to get into Pirates?

• Aye
    • Nay

Of course it isn't too late. Pirates are a very popular subtheme with lots of following. Now that LEGO has the Disney license, we may be getting Pirates of the Caribbean Lego in the near future, however, considering the fact that we got Prince of Persia this year and now that M*** B**** no longer has the license.

I picked up half the 2009. I want to get the Imperial ship, but it's beyond my reach right now. But, I felt the same way when I bought my first sets; could I commit to the theme? It's not my top priority, but I got about six sets, and they all are beautiful. Brickbeard's Bounty has been my feature display set for a few months now. It has no competitors at the moment.

It's never to late to leave the ways of a landlubber! :pir_laugh2:

See even them *insert mocking voice here* 'Star Wars' fans are learing the errors of their ways ---> :pir_yoda::pir-vader:

:pir-tongue:

Is the pirate theme going on hiatus because of the rumored "Pirates of the Caribean" sets that are supposedly coming out next year with the fourth movie?

Is the pirate theme going on hiatus because of the rumored "Pirates of the Caribean" sets that are supposedly coming out next year with the fourth movie?

I guess at we all have heard that new POTC 4 movie but i dont think at it is a real story, i guess POTC 4 wont ever come, just a fool story (But i still hope at it would be true)

It's never to late to leave the ways of a landlubber! :pir_laugh2:

See even them *insert mocking voice here* 'Star Wars' fans are learing the errors of their ways ---> :pir_yoda::pir-vader:

:pir-tongue:

Hey! :pir_yoda:

In all seriousness, I think it's a great time to get into Pirates - perhaps not as good as it would have been six or eight months ago, but definitely better than it would have been a couple years ago. As everyone is pointing out, most of the '09 line is still available - pretty much all the regular sets except the two impulses and the semi-exclusive Shipwreck Hideout - and they're an affordable "in" with lots to offer.

I think anyone who wants to get into pirates now is in the fortunate position of already knowing that the line has been discontinued. When I collected the '09 pirates I thought the line would go on for at least three years, so it was a betrayal when they said they had never planned to go on for more than one year.

If I had known it was a one-year range, I would still have happily collected them. Also, now is the perfect time because the sets are still available, and it's easy enough to find them discounted somewhere.

It's never too late. Almost all the sets are still available at the retail level. I've spent a lot of money on '09 Pirates sets, gotten a bunch on sale, and generally hoarded them. If you end up making up your mind, I'll sell you some for a mark up :-p including Shipwreck Hideout and Soldiers Arsenal

it is never tooooo late. no matter what.

LEg GOdt........proud to be danish

LEGO, Carlsberg... the women :pir_laugh2:

In 2010, I got back into LEGO.

As a kid, I had a sizable town and I stuck with that theme for most of my childhood (until branching out into space LEGO later on, mostly because I thought all the trans-colored dishes and antennas looked cool).

Anyway, I never really got into any of the Pirates stuff.

I've spent a lot of money over the past year on a lot of City stuff. I pretty much have everything I'd want that's currently on the market. However, I do regularly find myself eyeing the Pirates sets, which look like a ton of great and charming fun.

Now I know you guys might be a bit biased in this, but with Pirates not being renewed for 2010, is there still any point in getting into Pirates? With little to no opportunity for expansion (outside of digging up older sets) and a fading productline, is there still sense in collecting some of the Pirates sets as a sidedish to my main theme (City)?

I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I know how you feel. I had a similar situation 4 years ago. I was hardcore into castle but would always check on pirates, the old ones that is. Id go through brickset and so on. Finally got a couple of sets off of eBay. 2010 rolled in and I got the new line- pretty happy with it. Then the best part comes; customization. Im not sure how you feel towards it or have any desire to do so but it makes it extra fun. I have now about 100 pirate minifigures of which at least 60 are custom made. Im basically doing 5 pirate captains with crew of 15 each (different outfits and so on) and imperial soldiers-blue coats and new red coats. Even though I am a diehard castle fan-over 1,000 castle figures (pride myself of not owning an army of clones) and a lot more sets/ bricks that are castle themed. Im also curentlly working on this huge castle MOC. After that I will do pirates, I bought parts for 3 big pirate ships but never started'em. Anyhow, to sum this up, it is never too late to get into something., regardelss what that might be.If it makes you happy, go for it. New pirate line is quite neat-i like'em a lot. My personal collection of new pirate line is ; brickbeards ship, cannon battle X4, and Pirate hideout. I'll be looking forward to get kraken attacks and that island set as well. For some odd reason Soldiers fort does not strike me.

I guess at we all have heard that new POTC 4 movie but i dont think at it is a real story, i guess POTC 4 wont ever come, just a fool story (But i still hope at it would be true)

This movie is coming, why do you think it got axed? I read just recently that it was in the works.

I think anyone who wants to get into pirates now is in the fortunate position of already knowing that the line has been discontinued. When I collected the '09 pirates I thought the line would go on for at least three years, so it was a betrayal when they said they had never planned to go on for more than one year.

If I had known it was a one-year range, I would still have happily collected them. Also, now is the perfect time because the sets are still available, and it's easy enough to find them discounted somewhere.

I think betrayal is a little heavy. Pirates will be back, TLG has told us this, it's unfortunate that it came back for a mear 1 year run, but TLG is a company afterall, I'm sure to them, it was the right move. Look at the amount of love before Pirates came back, that won't change, this recent line just add's new light on a cool theme from yesteryear.

Like everyone else said, go ebey/bricklink, and buy the current sets while you can.

Lego will continue to have pirates here and there, such as special minifigs in collections, and many sets from castle and starwars sets have parts/figs that can be converted to pirate. Just be creative. above all, GO PIRATE! OR GO HOME! :pir_laugh2:

ah, just have fun with lego, thats what matters!

This movie is coming, why do you think it got axed? I read just recently that it was in the works.

Oh really? :pir-cry_happy: you couldnt pring me better news :pir_laugh2: And i was wrong because everyone sayed to me at it ended in the POTC 3 but now when i heard that..... im in heaven man :kahuka:

And even at i have already sayed at its never too late to get into pirates i say it again, If you find urself to looking Pirate sets, ur already hooked them and my advice is this: Rush into a store any kind of and buy those damn pirate sets NOW :pir-tongue:

Captain Becker

If you want to get into pirates, then do it now! You can still buy most sets. If you wait for too long, you will probably regret it later. Or just think of the time before the revival of the pirates line. There were quite many years between Pirates I and Pirates II. Those years between the two two pirate lines were the hardest to enter this theme. So hurry up unless you want to wait for the coming no-pirates-years!

Well, it's done.

I just returned home with Brickbeard's Bounty and the two Pirates impulse sets.

Soldiers' Fort, Loot Island, Kraken Attackin' and Cannon Battle have been ordered...

I suppose the answer was indeed "nay" then.

After reading al your replies on this topic Rapseflaps, I actualy decided to buy the 10210 Imperial Ship. :pir-laugh:

I think its a perfect combination city-pirates. I´ll invade the city with my ship ! :pirate_skel1: muhaha, Than i´ll kill everyone on the imperial ship with the AT-AT walker from the star wars collection lol !

I don´t think its ever to late to buy any lego sets..

Well, it's done.

I just returned home with Brickbeard's Bounty and the two Pirates impulse sets.

Soldiers' Fort, Loot Island, Kraken Attackin' and Cannon Battle have been ordered...

I suppose the answer was indeed "nay" then.

Arrr, congratulations!

:thumbup:

It is never too late! :pir-blush:

Of course, it will take longer to build a red/bluecoat army in comparison with the 2009 pirates theme. But search, and you will find :pir-devil:

It won't be very cheap and take some time, but Rome wasn't build in one day too, was it? :pir-wink:

Me too started collecting the older pirate figs a year or 2 ago, and have a nice collection now. About 40 normal pirates, and 20 redcoats or so. :pir-grin: And every time I can get some, I buy them.

My advice: start collecting! (and take good care of them, because they're worth it :pir-sweet: )

Since Pirates are my favorite Lego theme, I would have to agree that it is never too late to come back to them...

I also have to agree with castlestrike666, take really good care of your Pirates, they are absolutely worth it! ;)

I'm certain that Pirates will return, but as a 'Pirates of the Caribean: On Stranger Tides' theme next year along with the new film. Prince of Persia will only last this season based on the film's performance. Disney will be looking to explode POTC again next year, and I believe Pirates was retired to make sure that there werent 2 conflicting pirates themes out at the same time.

Both my Kids (5 + 7) started Pirates this year, with the Brickmaster Book, and are disapointed that there arent going to be more sets.

You can get a set of minifigures from Legoland Windsor though that is perfect for army building and as an earlier post stated you can make pirates sets from just about anything. You can only pick up a couple of sets there though.

Edited by mookage