Sign in to follow this  
Cubbie Blue

Sports sets?

I was just thinking about the old sport sets. Over the last few years ive been waiting for lego to bring out an official team set of sorts where minifigs would have the jerseys and names and such (ex: Kane 88, Fukudome 1, Cutler 6). Now an idea i had was instead of sellin bulky stadium sets (would be very costly) they could break it down into the seperate parts such as the bleachers, the press box, the concesion stand, the field or ice of play. I guess it would be nice thogh just to have like a team pack where they had the whole team in minifig form. Just an idea.

LEGO has done this before with the Soccer sets which came with different sets for the stands, lights etc.

Lego did bring out a range of NHL sets in the early 00's, along with NBA too !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Lego did bring out a range of NHL sets in the early 00's, along with NBA too !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Ok thanks, ill have to go ebay hunting i guess.

I was just thinking about the old sport sets. Over the last few years ive been waiting for lego to bring out an official team set of sorts where minifigs would have the jerseys and names and such (ex: Kane 88, Fukudome 1, Cutler 6). Now an idea i had was instead of sellin bulky stadium sets (would be very costly) they could break it down into the seperate parts such as the bleachers, the press box, the concesion stand, the field or ice of play. I guess it would be nice thogh just to have like a team pack where they had the whole team in minifig form. Just an idea.

As it's been said, Lego has produced pretty much all the different components you've mentioned, only for other sports. Soccer had the individual stadium components, and Basketball had official player packs. Soccer even had different teams that came with a differently colored bus for each.

I just don't think Baseball has the potential. Soccer is much more of an internationally-recognized sport, and was very fun to play the Lego version. Basketball was more of a stretch, and gameplay wasn't very realistic. I don't think Lego would try Baseball after a fail like Basketball, especially when a realistic, functioning baseball game would be nearly impossible to create. I really don't think UCS stadiums would sell very well either.

There is a chance that there may be a baseball minifig in future Collectable Minifig Series, but I'm sorry to say, I don't think we're ever going to see a fully-fledge baseball theme.

Oh, and go A's! :wink:

As it's been said, Lego has produced pretty much all the different components you've mentioned, only for other sports. Soccer had the individual stadium components, and Basketball had official player packs. Soccer even had different teams that came with a differently colored bus for each.

I just don't think Baseball has the potential. Soccer is much more of an internationally-recognized sport, and was very fun to play the Lego version. Basketball was more of a stretch, and gameplay wasn't very realistic. I don't think Lego would try Baseball after a fail like Basketball, especially when a realistic, functioning baseball game would be nearly impossible to create. I really don't think UCS stadiums would sell very well either.

There is a chance that there may be a baseball minifig in future Collectable Minifig Series, but I'm sorry to say, I don't think we're ever going to see a fully-fledge baseball theme.

Oh, and go A's! :wink:

ok well thanks for the help i guess i could have picked a better first topic. I dont really see this going anywhere so if someone wants to close this one up be my guest.

ok well thanks for the help i guess i could have picked a better first topic. I dont really see this going anywhere so if someone wants to close this one up be my guest.

I disagree, we could use this topic to discuss the past sports themes and maybe even spread it to MOCS! Maybe?

Ok thanks, ill have to go ebay hunting i guess.

You might want to try bricklink also. It seems to be cheaper than some of the ebay lots that are online. I agree with Inconspicuous that there might be a chance of a new sports figure that would appear in a wave of the collectable minifigure series.

It would be cool if they did a updated series of sports series since there are better pieces that would go with it now than there was back in 2000.

LegoGalactus

I would like to see the return of the soccer theme, this time with real teams (Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc.). Maybe they could also make player packs like the NBA theme had.

I have a bunch of the newer football sets. I really like the limited edition ones that were only released in Europe 8+ years ago, that has baseplates as a field and not the stupid green things. I would love to see a return to that, but I think LEGO Sports is dead considering they all seem like a failure.

I would like to see the return of the soccer theme, this time with real teams (Liverpool, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, etc.). Maybe they could also make player packs like the NBA theme had.

That would be awesome, but I don't think there is enough interest for that in N. America, so I don't think they would release just to Europe.