Sign in to follow this  
freakwave

Power Functions > Transformer 8887 US vs. Europe

I hope somebody came across this issue before.

I have gotten the 8887 from S@H (US) and noticed that the construction of the device is country specific, i.e. there is an US and an European version which bear the same (LEGO) item number.

I would have expected (may be too much) an interchangable adapter for the powersocket and a rating of 230/120 VAC.

Now the adapter fits only US sockets, which is not the biggest issue,

...but the box and the print on the adapter read only 120 VAC.

Now my question:

- Are the internals of this thing really build in two versions, i.e. it can really only stand 120 VAC and not 230 VAC?

- Did anybody of you already use a US adaptor in Europe...(without burning it)

Thanks a lot.

fW

I hope somebody came across this issue before.

I have gotten the 8887 from S@H (US) and noticed that the construction of the device is country specific, i.e. there is an US and an European version which bear the same (LEGO) item number.

I would have expected (may be too much) an interchangable adapter for the powersocket and a rating of 230/120 VAC.

Now the adapter fits only US sockets, which is not the biggest issue,

...but the box and the print on the adapter read only 120 VAC.

Now my question:

- Are the internals of this thing really build in two versions, i.e. it can really only stand 120 VAC and not 230 VAC?

- Did anybody of you already use a US adaptor in Europe...(without burning it)

Thanks a lot.

fW

Well, 120 VAC is not 230 VAC so you will indeed burn it if you try it without another transformer...

Peeron.com lists the 8887 "Transformer 10V DC" also as 86444, "Electric Train Speed Regulator 10V Power Adaptor for 120v 60Hz". Bricklink.com has various "Transformers" listed, so for European use, the 10VDC 9833 "AC Adapter, 230V - 10V Transformer" should work. Note that there is a 9833-3 "AC Adapter, 230V - 10V Transformer Type G Plug (British)". See http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=transformer for the entire list. Peeron lists the 9833-1 as 230V, and 9833-2 as 120V (see http://peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?...&limit=none ).

Peeron.com lists the 8887 "Transformer 10V DC" also as 86444, "Electric Train Speed Regulator 10V Power Adaptor for 120v 60Hz". Bricklink.com has various "Transformers" listed, so for European use, the 10VDC 9833 "AC Adapter, 230V - 10V Transformer" should work. Note that there is a 9833-3 "AC Adapter, 230V - 10V Transformer Type G Plug (British)". See http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=transformer for the entire list. Peeron lists the 9833-1 as 230V, and 9833-2 as 120V (see http://peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?...&limit=none ).

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Looks like there are indeed several versions of the same "Set-Number" circulating. I was hoping for the 8887 to be an autosensing (230 vs 120 VAC) device with even interchangeable connectors for the different power sockets like e.g. Palm did it.

That's a bit of a disappointment as every cellular phone comes with a charger that's autosensing the voltage. At least that one could expect from 25 USD...

So that's going to be returned to S@H...

fW

I was hoping for the 8887 to be an autosensing (230 vs 120 VAC) device with even interchangeable connectors for the different power sockets like e.g. Palm did it.

That's a bit of a disappointment as every cellular phone comes with a charger that's autosensing the voltage. At least that one could expect from 25 USD...

fW

I think this has something to do with the adaptor being used on a kids toy and not a mobile phone for adults, we have a similar thing on some of our medical devices at work. It is probably written somewhere in the low voltage directive that says they can't make them like this?

Paul

I think this has something to do with the adaptor being used on a kids toy and not a mobile phone for adults, we have a similar thing on some of our medical devices at work. It is probably written somewhere in the low voltage directive that says they can't make them like this?

I don't know about specifics of medical devices, but ALL impulse power supplies are already auto-voltage, you just need to place proper capacitor and maybe a couple of other components, so it won't blow up from 220 V. That's all, nothing dangerous or complicated.

Edited by Xevus

I think the 9833 Adapter is an AC adapter and thus not suitable for the 8878 battery. See http://cache.lego.com/downloads/Education/...e2010School.pdf page 27.

By the way, I use a 12V/500mA generic adapter (positive center) with good results for the 8878. This is however something you do at your own risk if you want to try...

Edited by johanby

As I say, I think there is a minimal risk with kids where they could plug in the plug part into the socket without the transformer being present and then there is a risk with small fingers they could touch the live pins? It is a small risk but nether the less a risk when you are a toy manufacturer. For the small additional cost to the company to have separate transformers, this is a minor cost for customer safety.

As I say, I think there is a minimal risk with kids where they could plug in the plug part into the socket without the transformer being present and then there is a risk with small fingers they could touch the live pins? It is a small risk but nether the less a risk when you are a toy manufacturer. For the small additional cost to the company to have separate transformers, this is a minor cost for customer safety.

I'm sorry, i don't get it. How is having universal PSU compromises safety ?