Sign in to follow this  
Walter Kovacs

UCS TIE Aggressor

gallery_101_23_281.gif

For a long time now I have been dissatisfied with the pylons on my UCS TIEs. The rectangular shape achieved by using standard technic bricks irritates me, because i know they should be round. I've stuck with them, in part because they provide structural integrity, but also because I haven't come up with a good alternative yet.

So when I sat down and looked at the TIE Aggressor (Wookiepedia page), I noticed that the pylons were eerily similar to those on the TIE Advanced. And LEGO did a good job on their UCS TIE Advanced set. So I decided to "borrow" their solution for the pylons.

This is the result;

img_3509.jpg

It certainly had the desired effect for beefing up the pylons. but it did have an unfortunate side effect, in that the pylons look a little too long now. You can see that more clearly in this front view:

img_3510.jpg

For reference, this is what the TIE Aggressor should look like:

tie_aggressor.jpg

The shape of the wing came out well. Although as it stands, the sections could have easily been 10 studs wide instead of 8 studs:

img_3508.jpg

Getting the shape of the rear deck was something of a challenge. The little cutouts on either side of the rear facing cannon are tricky.

img_3505.jpg

Here's a close-up of the cannon. It's on a 4 x 4 turntable, so it can rotate side by side. Unfortunately, the cannons can't elevate. Perhaps that is a feature to put into revision 2 (whenever that happens).

img_3504.jpg

Here is a close-up of the cockpit, without the windscreen. The control stick mechanism that I would have preferred to use wouldn't fit, so i improvised with the battle droid arms and minifig revolvers. I actually like the way they came out.

img_3511.jpg

Finally, here is a picture of the inside of the wings. Lately, I've been trying to add more detail to this area, partly because there's space available for it, and partly because more detail is always good.

img_3512.jpg

Well, that's all I have to show you. Please feel free to leave comments and criticisms. They are most certainly appreciated.

You can find the Brickshelf Gallery here, when moderated.

AWESOME 'Walter Kovacs' What a TIE fighter and with a rear twin rotating cannon - SWEET !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Another amazing recreation!

You've really captured the shape well, and done a fine job on the details. Regarding the length of the pylons, it seems that they are perhaps just one stud too long on either side. If the distance between the cockpit and the little cutout midway along the pylon was one stud shorter, then it would be perfect. That's a very minor nit-pick though and overall it looks fantastic.

I'm almost sorry to say this Walter Kovacs but I think that your TIE Aggressor is in fact really too wide. (It reminds me of what LEGO did with the 10175 UCS Vader's TIE Advanced.) The ship really should look nearly exactly like the TIE Advanced x1 from the front; the pylons appear stretched. The same goes for the rear section just behind the cockpit.

But to be honest, this is the first time I've ever noticed any major errors in your UCS models - and I study reference pictures all the time. I think all of your UCS TIE ships - even the ones I had never heard of - are masterpieces and really show what devoted people can do with LEGO elements - they pretty much destroy the stereotype that LEGOs are only for kids and all adults who "play" with LEGOs are weird.

I'm not sure where people picked this up, but being on Eurobricks, I'll say it: I'm a conformist! Walter Kovacs! We're behind you all the way!

Ahh!!!! Must all you superior MOCers create incredible MOCs that make me feel inferior :cry_sad: . Joking beside it is truly a great MOC, I have never heard of the TIE Aggressor before I saw this model but it is now one of my favorite Ties.

I love all of your TIEs and this one is no exception!

Actually I like TIEs and Empire related MOCs in general, just always found the "bad guys" more appealing :tongue:

Keep it up! How many projects are still left until you have completed all of them?

Thanks for all of the comments.

I'm almost sorry to say this Walter Kovacs but I think that your TIE Aggressor is in fact really too wide. (It reminds me of what LEGO did with the 10175 UCS Vader's TIE Advanced.) The ship really should look nearly exactly like the TIE Advanced x1 from the front; the pylons appear stretched. The same goes for the rear section just behind the cockpit.

For those of you who don't know this, I do all of my designing in MLCad first. It makes buying off of Bricklink much easier, as I get an exact shopping list.

Anyway, when I looked at the model in MLCad, the pylons looked really good. But when i built it in brick, the length of the pylons really hit me in the face. I think the area where the pylon meets the wing can be shortened up. That may shorten things by two studs on each size, which will really compact the model. Perhaps I should try some on-the-fly mods for a change.

Ahh!!!! Must all you superior MOCers create incredible MOCs that make me feel inferior :cry_sad: .

You know, I say that every time I look at others' work. Sometimes I feel like a rank amateur compared to what some members are able to do.

I love all of your TIEs and this one is no exception!

Actually I like TIEs and Empire related MOCs in general, just always found the "bad guys" more appealing :tongue:

Keep it up! How many projects are still left until you have completed all of them?

By my count, I have a mere 27 to go. :hmpf: That may change if I find more source material.

You are the best Tie Fighter builder in the world. :wub:

I highly doubt that. You may have noticed, but I've never attempted a standard TIE before. Truth is I've been scared to try one. The standard TIE Fighter is SO iconic, and everyone knows what they look like. Any flaws are bound to be pointed out to anyone that attempts one.

But that is not going to stop me. A standard TIE Fighter will be my next project. The fact that it is the basis for many more variants is purely coincidental.

Nicely done Mr. K, I like the widened wingspan, and like all your Tie creations, it looks as good as anything TLG has put out.

You know, I say that every time I look at others' work. Sometimes I feel like a rank amateur compared to what some members are able to do.

I'll bet even the best builders feel there is always someone better... but you have to wonder who truly is the best :wink: ?

(My vote might go to nnenn, may he rest in peace :skull: )

when i build a ucs model i build it then once finished i start to rebuild it bit by bit so in the end it is more or less rebuilt 10-20 times before i am completely happy the result though is lots of bricklink orders for new parts that might do the job better, at least designing it in mlcad first you can try different parts without buying them, on a plus side i do end up with a vast quantity of parts that are not used and can go towards the next mod.

just for your thoughts when i got back in to lego a few years ago the only colours i had where old light grey, blue, red, yellow and black, every other colour i have had to buy off bricklink.

i have a vast amount of old dark grey i will never use so if you ever need a part for your mocs pm me.