larry marak

Anyone doing armored trains?

traintech1.jpg

Has anyone done armored trains. The great powers all ran them in WWI and Germany and the Soviet Union used them in WW2. I'm working on mounting turrets and anti-aircraft guns for a WW2 era locomotive and wonder if anyone else has tried this.

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK and a lot of europe, war engines were just..egines. The only things that made them war engines was a change in paint scheme.

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK and a lot of europe, war engines were just..egines. The only things that made them war engines was a change in paint scheme.

I dont think it was just the paint job. Germany had armoured trains with AA guns, tank loaders and Howitzers !

Armoured%20train%20in%20combat.jpg

Would be interested to see what you come up with Larry ! :thumbup:

Yes. I made a Railway cannon a few years ago.

You can see it in here:

More pix of each carriage on my website.

Dr. S.

I own a book about classic toy trains, and LIONEL and AMERICAN FLYER did do some tank trains. There were even cars with missiles. :sceptic:

I own a book about classic toy trains, and LIONEL and AMERICAN FLYER did do some tank trains. There were even cars with missiles. :sceptic:

The Russians still have Mirv nuke armed ballistic missles on their armoured trains today.

Probably not quite what you were after, but this is my armoured train - a Motor Rail Trench Railway Locomotive that would have been used during WW1 to move supplies near the front line....

Tin Turtle

As for reference to the larger armoured and armed trains you could try tracking down this book (Osprey titles are great as reference aids)

Armoured Trains book

Anyway, good luck with your project, looking forward to seeing the result!!

Cheers

Greg

I'm building a classic space baised suspended monorail that I might make armored so that it can be protected

I will try to put up some photos of it because it will be a future Lego ideas set that I will post