Sign in to follow this  
Plastic Nurak

851/952 Massey Ferguson Re-release with modern parts

It could appear incredible, but old Technical-Expert Bulders Set #851/#952, the Massey Ferguson-like tractor, is the most reviewed among early Technic items. Seeing it, I thought it could be a great idea a re-release of this old set under Creator brand to respect old more-system-than-technic-like design; but, being a Technic set, I'm asking if it's possible to brand eventually this set under or both Creator and Technic themes or releasing it like a sort of "Advanced Creator" new subtheme.

I'm ready for the crazy house or it's, IYO, a passable idea :hmpf: ?

P.S: Can anybody please quote & rewrite this post in proper english :blush: ?

Edited by Plastic Nurak

Yes, the buying public would probably like to see this early TECHNIC model reissued again. I don't think Mom/Dad would care what Lego "theme" it is sold under; it's looks like FUN for their young kids to build, and it has the CLASSIC Lego look. :classic:

Blakbird has a very good review of the model on his Technicopedia site: http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/851.html .

851revolve.gif851isosmall.jpg851rendersmall.jpg

Edited by dluders

I don't understand the concept and peoples love for re-releasing old sets, you want old sets, buy them on ebay or bricklink, they may be expensive, but that is kind of the idea behind collectables, you don't see matchbox releasing an old classic car from the 70's.

I'd far rather see Lego put their efforts into releasing new more detailed and functional technic sets.

Paul

It is a big coincidence that you wrote this post today because I just rebuilt this model last night after my move to a new house and was thinking how excellent it was. It is not possible to re-issue the model in exactly the same form because the wheels and tires are no longer in production. There aren't any new wheels and tires with the same (or even similar) size. All of the other parts still exist, though the studded Technic beams have become somewhat unusual. The model also uses the forbidden "pony ear" technique for the tail light which LEGO would not use in a model today.

With the exception of the rear wheels, all of the parts in this set are very common so it would be easy to reproduce it from parts even if you don't own the set by looking up the instructions on Peeron.

The model also uses the forbidden "pony ear" technique for the tail light which LEGO would not use in a model today.

A curiosity. Why now it is forbidden? When I was a kid in the Eighties, it was sometimes still used :sceptic: . For small details, this technic could be still regarded in a positive view, IMHO.

Edited by Plastic Nurak

It is a big coincidence that you wrote this post today because I just rebuilt this model last night after my move to a new house and was thinking how excellent it was. It is not possible to re-issue the model in exactly the same form because the wheels and tires are no longer in production. There aren't any new wheels and tires with the same (or even similar) size. All of the other parts still exist, though the studded Technic beams have become somewhat unusual. The model also uses the forbidden "pony ear" technique for the tail light which LEGO would not use in a model today.

With the exception of the rear wheels, all of the parts in this set are very common so it would be easy to reproduce it from parts even if you don't own the set by looking up the instructions on Peeron.

1. Could you provide a picture of the "pony ear" technique? I'd love to know what you're talking about. :tongue:

2. Studded technic beams are uncommon in technic sets, but if you look at Lego as a whole they're everywhere! Most of my collection is 2004+ and I have more than 50 of them.

1. Could you provide a picture of the "pony ear" technique? I'd love to know what you're talking about. :tongue:

0644-1.jpg

Look at the top of the trailer, impossible you never saw this building technique.

Edited by Plastic Nurak

0644-1.jpg

Look at the top of the trailer, impossible you never saw this building technique.

Right, thanks. I won't even bother to ask why that's called a "pony ear." :tongue:

I didn't even realize one could do that until about 2 years ago...

Right, thanks. I won't even bother to ask why that's called a "pony ear." :tongue:

It's called pony ear because some of the first LEGO horses such as those used in the 375 castle were brick-built and used this for the ears.

It could appear incredible, but old Technical-Expert Bulders Set #851/#952, the Massey Ferguson-like tractor, is the most reviewed among early Technic items. Seeing it, I thought it could be a great idea a re-release of this old set under Creator brand to respect old more-system-than-technic-like design; but, being a Technic set, I'm asking if it's possible to brand eventually this set under or both Creator and Technic themes or releasing it like a sort of "Advanced Creator" new subtheme.

I'm ready for the crazy house or it's, IYO, a passable idea :hmpf: ?

P.S: Can anybody please quote & rewrite this post in proper english :blush: ?

This set is indeed very nice. The most realistic lego tractor I know of (my dad had a Massey Ferguson that looked exactly like it!).

Last time I checked (that's a while ago though) it was not expensive on eBay, so why the need for a re-release?