Sign in to follow this  
Randal

Steampunk Airship WIP

I'm working on some Lego Steampunk stuff (I'm amazed this isn't an official theme) and was looking for ideas on pipeworks and such. Right now I have an airship in progress and I'm trying to conceptualize the steam engine. I have some killer steamboat stacks and two deriggibles made from rigid rigging and upside down airliner pieces as the gas bags, linked by metal trusses to a viking ship body. The pic posted is the rigging, body and air bags. the 'metal' bits are different colors because I don't know if I want to go forward using steel or iron structure, as well as copper or brass fittings.

Steampunk%20WIP.png

I don't care where it is put. I just want help finding some good construction ideas for pumps and pipes and making a steam engine look believable.

Wow! That looks great already! The ailplane bodies work perfectly for the blimps! :oh:

I don't care where it is put. I just want help finding some good construction ideas for pumps and pipes and making a steam engine look believable.

Just look at some reference pics of real steam engines and steampunk artwork. That should give you an idea of how to make the engine look realistic. As for building techniques for pipework, just search "greeble" or "greebs" on brickshelf. Most of what you see will be a bit more sci-fi than what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas.

Good luck with this! Can't wait to see it finished! :thumbup:

Killer! I love steampunk stuff, and this is one of the coolest.

As for the color, I would say iron and brass for bad guys, or copper and steel for the good guys.

I'll put it in LDD. :wink:

Hey Thats awesome! I was wondering what program you were using to model it in and where you got the dat files especially for the boat bows? I've been trying to make a digital version of the viking ship but can't seem to find that bow piece in any design programs.

Lewis

Hey Thats awesome! I was wondering what program you were using to model it in and where you got the dat files especially for the boat bows? I've been trying to make a digital version of the viking ship but can't seem to find that bow piece in any design programs.

Lewis

It looks like just plain Digital Designer in LEGO Universe mode. I could be wrong, though.

Clever use of the plane parts as balloons.

It looks like just plain Digital Designer in LEGO Universe mode. I could be wrong, though.

Clever use of the plane parts as balloons.

Yepp, sure looks like good 'ol LDD to me.

Great idea using the jet bodies as balloons, too bad it will never leave Lego form as they aren't in a produceable format. I'd go with steel for the metal, iron's a bit heavy.

Very innovative! Keep it up! :thumbup:

thanks. Yeah. I never intended this for building. Though there's always the option of painting these pieces like I think I heard some people do... if they ever wanted to. I will be posting the LXF when it's done. I haven't had much chance to work on it in the last few days.

Though I may tonight after checking on that engine design. though since it's steam punk and I have smokestacks built already, I'll probably use a steam boiler with steam pipe greeb. I actually already started the boiler, come to think of it.

EDIT:

WIPairshipfront.png

WIPairshiprear.png

Still needs: more engine greeb, wheel, gyros and props, crew, etc...

Edited by Randal

Well, you got my attention, but you might want to refrain from bumping your threads in such an obvious manner in the future. :wink:

This is looking better and better! The golden wings are definitely a nice touch, as is that big furnace. Where do you plan on putting the proppellers, and what kind of stuff is going to be "on deck"?

I hope you don't mind if I borrow that smoke stack design for one of my MOCs.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

heck, I don't mind. I based mine on some steam greeb I saw on another set of stacks. I don't know if this is how he did it, but since it reminds me of old steam paddle ships on the mississippi, I don't care if I did what he did because I like what I did.

As for the bumping. I keep forgetting that unlike myself, most Lego enthusiasts are more engineer than artist and are a bit more reserved and particular. Sorry.

Currently, I'm working on something I don't even know how to categorize. The closest I can come to it is Flash Gordon on steroids. It's basic design has been "whatever I can add to this thing that looks cool. The color scheme is burgundy and gold. (something I seem to be leaning toward this week in about everything I do)

It will be in the next Brick update, as I've spent so much time on it that I have nothing else to use for a comic. =B

Edit:

I posted the build I mentioned above in the Sci Fi forum with a "Flash Gordon" title. I probably shouldn't have, though. I think people must think it looks hokier than it does. I actually think it looks quite charming in a retro sort of way.

Edited by Randal

This looks really great for sure as an start.

Looking forward to see how the engines will end up.

Is this gonna be a real brickbuilt thing as well?

You mentioned painting the airplane parts, so I guess you will though.

This is by far some of the best LDD work I have ever seen. I can wait to see how you plan on proceeding with the rest of the main body (fuselage) work.