Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

LDD Design Challenge #3

It's time for a LDD challenge again. This time it's actually not as much an LDD challenge as it is a general Lego design one.

Have a look at the truck below. See those upside down cheese slopes in the front. The challange is simple - How do you do that? A condition is that all parts must hold together (use the Connected Selection tool to check this).

If you think you have solved it, just upload the LXF-file (or PM me if you don't know how to upload).

Good luck.

Challenge3.jpg

Hard but good fun...just emailed the final one do i win a cookie? :P

Here's my take at the challenge. Only the front of the truck is built, since this part contains the focus of the challenge.

I'm interested in seeing other possible solutions to the problem. Reversing bricks 180 degrees in a tight space is always tricky.

EDIT: The download can be found here.

Here is my solutions.

I tried something other too, but there ever was a millimeter...

You can find the LDD file at this page, download challenge-v3.zip

That would be too easy :P

Eheh nooo... I'm only a bit lazy!

So, having a "base" would save a bit of time :tongue:

I've one or two ideas, but no base to realize that! :grin:

Edited by Calabar

Here's what "Lego911" told me; he uses LDD all the time and creates lots of Lego vehicles with it.

"The cheese wedge is next to a 1*1 tile (both upside down). The parts immediately above is a 2*2 'L' also upside down. The 'bottom' of the 'L' is then connected, 1 plate separate from whatever colour/part (sand green, I think) is above, using the 1*1 plate modified with the round 1*1 double side male part (with the double male part as the connected interface). The part I am talking about is used in its normal orientation to connect the fuel tanks of the model. The upside down parts are limited to those described above as being upside down."

Challenge3.jpg

Here's what "Lego911" told me; he uses LDD all the time and creates lots of Lego vehicles with it.

"The cheese wedge is next to a 1*1 tile (both upside down). The parts immediately above is a 2*2 'L' also upside down. The 'bottom' of the 'L' is then connected, 1 plate separate from whatever colour/part (sand green, I think) is above, using the 1*1 plate modified with the round 1*1 double side male part (with the double male part as the connected interface). The part I am talking about is used in its normal orientation to connect the fuel tanks of the model. The upside down parts are limited to those described above as being upside down."

I think the easiest would be if Lego911 makes a quick LDD model and uploads it - it's kind of hard to understand what he means by just reading the text. Heck, why don't you persude him to join the forum, and perhaps he can share a few of his famous creations. From what I can tell he is the man when it comes to cars in LDD.

Calabar, those are great ideas! I need to try those some time in my real LEGO creations.

Talk about laziness: I didn't even finish the rest of my model... :tongue: And I didn't take the time to ensure proper colorization, although it is fixed now. (Same download link as above.)

My solution :)

LXF

Finished this not long after the challenge was set, hope it answers some questions.

I'll have to remember that. I'm always needing those to be upside down. I wish they'd make an inverse cheese wedge.

Very interesting!

I tried something similar (using four "Brick 1x1 with Headlight"), but i didn't think to use "Panel 1x2x1" to contain studs!

LXF

Finished this not long after the challenge was set, hope it answers some questions.

wasn't the challenge to have all bricks attached to something? your 2x1 plate between the anchors for the air-horns is free floating. Oddly enough, it doesn't need to be, because the binoculars will fit on a stud. you could have bridged that gap with a 1x4 plate and placed the binoculars on either end of it.

Good point if u re-download it now its fixed :)

Cheers

I'll have to remember that. I'm always needing those to be upside down. I wish they'd make an inverse cheese wedge.

That would make an awesome part, something Ive wanted for ages

Hi

Welcome to the LDD forum.

This was certainly and old and sleepy topic you revied :classic:

To post LXF-files, you need to create an account at Brickshelf.com, and then link from there to your post. You can also upload smaller files directly in your post, but then you need to rename from .lxf to .zip first.

PM you cannot do until you get at least 10 posts.

BTW, Superkalle, are you gonna do more of these Design Challenges anytime soon? They were pretty fun IMO :classic:

Thanks prateek! Well, I haven't thought more about it. But as usual, if anyone feels like throwing an idea on the table, it'd be fun to hear about it!

Hi

Welcome to the LDD forum.

This was certainly and old and sleepy topic you revied :classic:

To post LXF-files, you need to create an account at Brickshelf.com, and then link from there to your post. You can also upload smaller files directly in your post, but then you need to rename from .lxf to .zip first.

PM you cannot do until you get at least 10 posts.

Thanks!:laugh:

as smart as :yoda:, you are