How do you rate this set?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

What do a teddy bear, a rock monster, an octopus, and a construction vehicle have in common? They are all part of the most affordable set in the Toy Story 3 wave! This is the toy truck that Lotso (short for Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear) uses to get around the Sunnyside Daycare and check on all the toys. Want to learn more? Then let's keep on truckin'!

7789.jpg

Set Number: 7789

Name: Lotso's Dump Truck

Theme: Toy Story

Year of Release: 2010

Pieces: 129

Minifigs: 4

Price: $19.99 USD

S@H description:

Lotso and pals are on patrol!

It's a whole different world for our heroes when they find themselves at a new home in the day care center. Fortunately, Lotso and his gang are here to give them a big welcome in their big-time dump truck! Includes Lotso, Chunk, Stretch and dump truck driver minifigures! Tip the dump truck just like a real one! Dump truck measures 5.5'' (14 cm) long and 3.5'' (9 cm) tall!

Brickset BrickLink Brickshelf

The Box

The box has the usual Toy Story 3 design, this time with Lotso and Chunk in the lower left-hand corner. The top of the box shows 1:1 scale pics of Lotso and Stretch, who is also labeled as "Flex" which I presume is what she is known as in a European version of the film.

p1070125_small.jpg

The back shows the two most notable play features of the set: the "dumpability" of the bed and Chunk's changeable face. Also, here we can see that Chunk's alternate name is "Tchac".

p1070126_small.jpg

Contents

Inside the Box you will find an instruction booklet, a loose bed, a chain of bags with the new minifig molds, and a small and a large bag of parts.

p1070131_small.jpg

Below you can see a random instructions page. Like all Toy Story 3 instructions, it has a plain light blue background. There is a lot of black, bley, and dark bley at the beginning of the build, but it's relatively easy to tell which piece is what color.

7789_instructions_page.jpg

Minifigs

Here is a picture of the minifigs prior to assembly where you can see the underside of all the new minifig parts. Notable pieces here are the dark blue and printed purple dome pieces, the yellow hard hat, and of course the new tentacles piece. The tentacles are rubbery, but the studs and center hole are hard ABS.

p1070137_small.jpg

The finished Lotso and Chunk look great. As you can see, Lotso comes with his cane.

p1070138_small.jpg

Compared to their movie counterparts, they are pretty spot-on!

real_chunk.jpgreal_lotso.jpg

From the side, Lotso really looks like a big ol' teddy bear whereas Chunk is rather thin, but spiky.

p1070140_small.jpg

Back view. Note all the seams on Lotso and the printed tag above his right leg. So much attention to detail!

p1070139_small.jpg

In case you were wondering, Chunk is the usual orange color. He himself doesn't seem too happy about that. Again, you can turn his face to reveal the angry side by simply moving your finger over it. His arms can rotate 360 degrees, but his legs are molded to his body, so he has about as much posability as a Power Miners rock monster. I'm not sure if you can remove his face roll, but I'm not attempting it either. I'd say it's possible though.

p1070141_small.jpg

This is the only set in which you can get the "clean" Lotso. Here is a comparison with his usual "dirty" version. Note how the eyes on the clean version are printed to look more open and less evil.

p1070180_small.jpg

Stretch and the truck driver aren't bad either, but not quite as impressive. What bugs me most are their faces. Stretch looks kinda constipated, and the driver just looks weird with a big red nose but no mouth.

p1070144_small.jpg

Comparing the minifig with the "real" Stretch makes me wish that they would have chosen a more bubble-like piece for her head, and think how cool it would have been if they would have made the pieces trans-purple! It would have also been great if they would have included an alternate head piece with the happy expression on it, but oh well. As for the driver, he seems to be a bit over-simplified. I kinda like that, though, because if they would have made him into a real minifig, he would have looked out of proportion with the other figs, and we wouldn't have gotten the dome piece in dark blue.

real_stretch.jpgreal_driver.jpg

They are pretty unspectacular from the back.

p1070146_small.jpg

The Truck

This is the finished dump truck. Looks kinda cartoony, which gives it a nice toy truck feel.

p1070158_small.jpg

The set comes with three 2x2 bricks to put in the bed. This is probably the first time that Lego bricks are actually meant to represent Lego bricks.

p1070165_small.jpg

When you turn the knob on the side, the truck will dump the bricks. Simple as that. The nice thing about it is that the bed is feathered by the rubbery technic part which you saw in the random instructions page, so it will fall right back once you let the knob go.

p1070168_small.jpg

The front and back of the truck are made using the SNOT technique. In these views, the knob sticks out a lot unfortunately.

p1070159_small.jpg

p1070161_small.jpg

It looks pretty good from the side though.

p1070162_small.jpg

p1070160_small.jpg

Top view. The bed is quite roomy, although Stretch does not fit inside it easily.

p1070163_small.jpg

Bottom view. The plate in the middle that is meant as a platform for Lotso's posse to stand on sticks out on the sides a bit much, but it's not too bad.

p1070164_small.jpg

The drivers cabin is rather small, but it does have a steering wheel. It is necessary to take off the roof to be able to seat the driver inside. Due to this, the driver is actually part of the building process, not the minifig assembly.

p1070169_small.jpg

It may be small, buy it's still large enough for a normal minifig to fit inside.

p1070171_small.jpg

Here it is with all the figs and ready to roll.

p1070156_small.jpg

The spare parts are comprised of two studs, a Technic pin, and a black cheese slope.

p1070172_small.jpg

Ratings

Design: 4/5 - I think it's designed quite nicely. It looks simple enough to be a toy truck, but it can also be used as a real dump truck. Also, the way they feathered the dumping mechanism is kinda neat in my opinion.

Build: 3/5 - Pretty quick and easy. The fact that a third of the truck is one piece takes a lot of the fun away.

Minifigs: 4.5/5 - Lotso and Chunk are great, but Stretch and the driver could have been done a bit better.

Playability: 3/5 - Average toy truck playability. Again, the dumping mechanism is neat, but otherwise nothing special.

Parts: 4/5 - Basic construction vehicle parts. The new bed piece is neat though, and if you count the purple and dark blue dome pieces, you got some noteworthy parts.

Price: 3/5 - 129 pieces isn't much for a $20 set, but then again, most of the parts are pretty large, not to mention all the new molds that are included.

Overall: 4/5 - It's a cute set with some very unique minifigs, and it's probably the most City-compatible truck among the Toy Story vehicles. This should not be missing in any Toy Story collection!

Hi-res versions of all the pics can be found in this brickshelf folder. I hope you enjoyed this review, and always remember:

big_bear.jpg

Until the next review, keep on toy truckin'! OkyWanKenobiNormal1.png

Nice review! The figs are really accurate, and the set does look like a toy dumptruck, but I'll pass on this one :classic:

Great review, best look at the set that I've had yet. If I decide that I need Lotso, I'll get it, otherwise I likely won't.

Very nice review.

Though this is a low priority set for me, you still make it look quite appealing. The figs are the standout here, but I'm sure plenty of fun could be had with the truck as well.

Most likely I won't be getting this set, but you still manage to put it in a good light for me in this review. Maybe this set isn't as bad as I once thought it was. So thank you for yet another great review of the next wave of Toy Story sets.

Edited by Spyder

Great review. Thanks. I love the movies but the sets don't do much for me with one big exception and that is they have some cool new parts so I have been collecting the first wave and will continue with the second.

Thanks for sharing this review with us. This is not my highest priority unless I am a dedicated Toy Story collector like yourself, but some of these characters are nice, but I feel it's not as iconic compared to the earlier sequels. It's still a great set with some of new characters but it does not give me that kind of urge to get it immediately unlike the Western Train Chase or the Pizza Truck, or even those earlier released sets. :blush:

I was this @ WalMart in Bellingham for 14.97, maybe it was priced wrong, but the tag said Lotso's dumptruck, thats a decent price, I almost bought it but didnt want to overspend my limit for crossing the border..

Looks spot on!

Oh, the actual thing looks like that? That's good, because I've been considering making some adjustments to the front (I don't really like the left side being different), but now my decision not to is justified.

It doesn't come with an alternate face for Stretch as I hoped. I agree that the face is a bit strange. Oh well. Are Stretch's tentacles bendable?

Thanks for the nice review. The dump truck looks neat, but I don't like the pink toy bear. Its color is interesting, but its eyes . . . well, they look mean. :tongue:

Great review! Thanks for that.

The truck and the figs look awesome. And all that for the tidy sum of just $19.99! This will be a huge seller for TLG, I can assure you. It basically has everything a kid would want. And I want it too!

No!!! Exclusive figures again!!!!!!!

I have no choice other than to buy it... come on TLC!

The front and back of the truck are made using the SNOT technique. In these views, the knob sticks out a lot unfortunately.

SNOT is not one technique; it's simply the end result of any of a number of techniques used to put studs on their side.

A very nice review of a very nice set! I'll definitely get this one.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. :classic:

I feel it's not as iconic compared to the earlier sequels. It's still a great set with some of new characters but it does not give me that kind of urge to get it immediately unlike the Western Train Chase or the Pizza Truck, or even those earlier released sets. :blush:

Just wait 'til you see the movie it'll change your mind. :wink: I think this is probably the most iconic set from TS3. The truck is even featured on one of the movie posters:

TS3FinalPoster.jpg

Are Stretch's tentacles bendable?

Yes, as I said they're rubbery, kinda like Kit Fisto's tentacles. I wouldn't leave them bent for a long time, though, as I think they would stay that way. My tentacle piece already came with some tentacles higher or lower than the rest due to being bent inside the box, I assume. :thumbdown:

SNOT is not one technique; it's simply the end result of any of a number of techniques used to put studs on their side.

From the EB Glossary:

SNOT: Studs Not On Top

A building technique where studs are, surprisingly, not always on top. This can be achieved with pieces designed for the purpose and have studs and/or anti-studs) on two or more faces, or by using pieces in a creative way. For example, most of the hinge pieces are good for SNOTting.

:wink:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I loved it in the RA and it looks great out here.

I really want this set just for lotso.

Just wait 'til you see the movie it'll change your mind. :wink: I think this is probably the most iconic set from TS3. The truck is even featured on one of the movie posters:

Yes, I am very certain after seeing the movie next month, it will influence my decision one way or another. :laugh:

Thanks for pointing that poster to me, this is my first time seeing it. :blush:

Another awesome review Oky!!

You are a real pro now. Awesome crispy clear pictures as usual.

Good covering of great info and own ideas of the set.

The set and figs is not a favorite of mine in this serie. The truck do have that bulky look of a real "toy" truck.

Onse again... Awesome review :thumbup:

Yes, as I said they're rubbery, kinda like Kit Fisto's tentacles. I wouldn't leave them bent for a long time, though, as I think they would stay that way. My tentacle piece already came with some tentacles higher or lower than the rest due to being bent inside the box, I assume. :thumbdown:

Ah, I see. I don't really want to bend them at all, just curious.

Just picked mine up at Kmart for $39 (Australian dollars that is !) - I just couldn't help myself as soon as I saw it on the shelf.

Great review and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Power to the purple teddy !