legitimatealex

The Best Spaceship Released By LEGO

The best spaceship ever? No doubt about it. A set I've always wanted:

6973-1.jpg

Well, of the few large ships I have owned this is definitely the best.

I might change my opinion when I get my galactic enforcer, just about every pic and review I see of it makes me think it is one of the best ships ever.

Well, of the few large ships I have owned this is definitely the best.

I might change my opinion when I get my galactic enforcer, just about every pic and review I see of it makes me think it is one of the best ships ever.

I have most of the old space flagships of the past (all but 497 and 6980) and I think the Galactic Enforcer surpasses them all. It really combines the best aspects of many of them into a very solid and feature-packed model.

Among the old sets, my favorite flagship is the Galactic Mediator. I like its space shuttle-like shape and it has a big interior, although it's a little sparse on detail inside compared to some of the other ships.

I don't have many of the big spaceships, unfortunately, so I can't really speak by experience here. I do, however, have the Warp Wing Fighter, and I find it to be an excellent model, though admittedly, there is probably a bit of nostalgia factor here, too.

Also, while it's not exactly a spaceship, the Scorpion Detector is another old favourite of mine.

Edited by SNobleJr

For me, it would have to be the VX-Falcon from Hyperspeed Pursuit! Besides its cool name, it looks very sleek, but also powerful at the same time, both engine and weapon-wise! :wub:

5973-0000-xx-33-4.jpg

blacktron II's Allied Avenger

As seen in an above post (quote not working for me)

I think it is by far the coolest cockpit and perfect execution of a medium fighter, I'd like to see it updated.

Galactic Mediator and Galactic Enforcer are both at the top of my list. Something about their respective shapes really appeals.

Although not big, it's extremely sleek, and swooshable. (especially in the nude :laugh: )

Yes, it's the VX-Falcon from 5973.

(especially in the nude :laugh: )

:oh::look::sick: Be carefull playing lego in the nude,those small parts can get everywhere!!!

:oh::look::sick: Be carefull playing lego in the nude,those small parts can get everywhere!!!

Especially under your feet...

Growing up, my favorites were

6929-1.jpg

and

6980-1.jpg

This one was especially cool with the mini-base detached.

but these days I like the Space Police III stuff the best. I'm really looking forward to building the Limo

Edited by Randal

Ha! So putting that in my signature! :laugh:

Edited by Spyder

Out of the ones on this page, I'd have to agree with the Ice Planet 2002 Ship. However, my favorite is the Mission Commander (The big ship from SPI). The colors rock, it has a bunch of great corner parts, and even though it only have 3 minifigures, they are old and the ship's workings make up for it.

6986-1.jpg

The Mission Commander is also my favorite. Feels very innovative with its unique cockpit that lifts like a cargo plane nose and it's innovative locking mechanism of the rear section. The colour combination is also among the best in Lego Space. Has anyone ever noticed how agressive the plan view of this spaceship looks? It has a distinct trident shape.

Concerning the space usage issue: It's not too bad I think, the Galactic Mediator sacrifices the entire rear section for storing the buggy, so the remaining space is not much more than the space in the aft section of the Mission Commander. And the open space in the middle of the Mission Commander gives a bizarre futuristic feeling to it, in direct comparison the Galactic Mediator seems very classic and conservative tmho.

Oh, how I wish I had a Galaxy Explorer. There's just something so classic about that set. I think it's a very serious contender for the title here. Alas, I never had any really large sets in the classic Space era, though I did have a number of the smaller ones - but then, equally lamentably, I no longer have any of those...

:cry_sad:

That said, if we broaden our scope a little to include things that would fit the topic but not necessarily the forum, I think some of the Star Wars sets are worth consideration as well, particularly the UCS ones. And then there's the forthcoming Space Shuttle Adventure, which looks like a great set as well...

I also love the Mission Commander 6986. I don't have that fantastic set! :cry_sad: What I also find great - but I suppose it doesn't count as a spaceship - is Alien Moon Stalker 6940.

6940-1.1170480511.thumb2.jpg:wub:

Source: peeron.com

All good sets mentioned already, but one that I think is missing because it is one of my fav's is the Unitron Starhawk II.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=1789-1

It has got some sweet weapons, multiple engines and all around cool.

Bigger pic: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1789-1

Looks nice, too bad unitron was US-only although maybe it is for the best cause I wouldn't have gotten the chance to get all spyrius and Ice planet sets if I also had to get unitron stuff. Hmnn...

Oh, how I wish I had a Galaxy Explorer. There's just something so classic about that set. I think it's a very serious contender for the title here. Alas, I never had any really large sets in the classic Space era, though I did have a number of the smaller ones - but then, equally lamentably, I no longer have any of those...

:cry_sad:

That said, if we broaden our scope a little to include things that would fit the topic but not necessarily the forum, I think some of the Star Wars sets are worth consideration as well, particularly the UCS ones. And then there's the forthcoming Space Shuttle Adventure, which looks like a great set as well...

I forgot about that one. I had that too and I loved it. LOVED IT.

I always wanted a 6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager, but I never got one. That's the coolest spaceship, IMHO.

But I got a 6931-1, the FX Star Patroller, that was awesome enough to make me forget about bigger spaceships - modular, a robot and a small "car"? Cool enough! So although I think the Cosmic Fleet Voyager is the coolest, the Star Patroller is the best!

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6894-1

Invader rocks as the small-middle-sized ship. It has some firepower, modules, laboratory and a robot. Everything a spy needs (altrough it's not so good as spyrius Cyber Saucer, it has ist class design and some nice features)

But the instant win is:

6973-1.jpg

Deep Freeze Defender

Lab section, rocket launcher, 2-men-cocpit, small ship hidden behind doors, magnetic transport of rocket, beautiful figures... it's awesome - you can fly this thing everywhere. You can easily get more than one or two ships. There is so many possibilities, you can get. Bottom line DFD is just awesome :)

Edited by Piterio

I like 6973 Deep Freeze Defender. It's just perfect. 6986 Mission Commander is my favorite too. I like the shape and I actually like the color scheme better than 6973. My only complain from 6986 that makes it only 2nd best is the rear part of the ship. There are no lock system for the big and heavy gate. The gate will opened as soon you try to do an acrobatic flying. There is nothing there to hold it. I think that is a big error for such a prominent set.