Corvus

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: season 3 discussion

I'm not sure why some are trying to use the term "kids show" like it's an insult. I hope you realize that the entire of Star Wars.. including the original movies were made for kids and you're posting on a LEGO forum. The hypocrisy there almost hurts. :wacko: Just because something is designed to appeal to children doesn't mean it can't also appeal to a wider audience, and the Clone Wars has definitely shown many moments were it's reaching for a much bigger audience than just kids. There's constantly topics over on the official Star Wars sites from parents who feel the show has become too adult.

I'm not sure how you could see the show as just being a silly "kids show" but be fine with the movies and most of the EU.

I think that I am at fault here for not being specific enough. There are child-oriented movies and shows that are enjoyable for people of all ages (WALL-E comes to mind) and then there are some slightly less enjoyable kids' shows and films which may be great for kids but which a different demographic would find unappealing (for many, The Phantom Menace, to name one). I guess to suggest that all kids' shows or only kids' shows are like this was wrong since it's definitely not limited to those (Judd Apatow's Superbad...)

I will say The Clone Wars does seem to have its good moments but what I wanted to say in my previous post was that it also has a fair amount of poor dialogue. And I share this opinion on the Expanded Universe (though I will say that the Thrawn Trilogy was quite good in my opinion). Yes, I know about the clone Emperor and the prawnpeople. (Good thing there were also E-wings and World Devastators...)

I also have to take issue with them killing off another character after 10 minutes.. We didn't really know who she was, we didn't really know anything about her and within the first 30 seconds of her appearing, it was painfully obvious what was going to happen. Far, far too predictable. The episodes that resolve around Ahsoka and her friendships are typically among the best episodes but you can't just introduce a character, quickly kill her off and expect us to feel bad. This is probably the biggest failing of the show so far and it's even more disappointing after they handled Piell's death quite well.

Agreed.

Wait, this is the finale story arc? Random Trandoshans and a miniature Ki-Adi Mundi? What about the war?

Wait, this is the finale story arc? Random Trandoshans and a miniature Ki-Adi Mundi? What about the war?

Maybe they want to make TCW more personal/dramatic for the audience. (Like they should of done w/ PT...Oh wait am I still typing?) :hmpf_bad:

Dave Filoni confirmed in a Q&A seassion that we won't be seeing Han Solo in TCW so thats a relief for any fans who didn't want more canon broken for Solo to appear...

8. Can't wait to see Chewie in the Clone Wars; will we see a little Han Solo in those episodes or later on? The Mortis trilogy was my favorite episodes from season 3 - will we see more episodes like that? - Elizabeth Spencer

We will NOT be seeing young Han Solo. I’m not into that. I like meeting Han in the Cantina in Episode IV. As for the Mortis Trilogy – it is a beginning, not an ending.

Here are the rest of the questions Filoni answered in the spoiler...

1. Dave, as I was watching episode 64: "Citadel Rescue" seeing close up shots of Saesee Tiin speaking in the cockpit of his Jedi starfighter, I am just amazed at the difference in difference between animation models of more recently created characters from those that have been with us since the shows the clone wars theatrical debut. The plus is I am literally blown away, the downside of the bar being raised so high, is I find myself left wanting when it comes to the classic characters such as Kenobi and Skywalker whose faces (to me) still have a very wooden look or resemblance of a "Team America: World Police" (2004) type of feel to them. Since development is so far ahead o the release schedule, any chance of a makeover for the core heroes coming down the pipe (for faces more than wardrobe)? - Brian C Bocian

Thanks for noticing the upgrades and development of the character models. It has taken a great deal of work. Actually, Anakin and Obi-Wan have been upgraded; the changes are just very subtle. But both have slightly more rounded faces and Obi-Wan’s hair got a total overhaul.

2. What was the third possible ending for Citadel Rescue that we weren't told about in the episode commentary? - Nicholas Byington-Wakeley and Adnan Al-Baroudi

The third ending was that Osi-Sobeck was to report in to Count Dooku that the Jedi had escaped. Dooku would then order the crab droids to execute Sobeck.

3. Can you ask Dave who he likes better, Malkin or Crosby? - Kale Davidoff

My favorite Penguin is Michel Dion, goalie from 1981-1984. My favorite current Penguin is Marc Andre Fleury, also a goalie. And both Fleury and Dion wore #29, ironically. I like both Makin and Crosby, but since I played goal I tend to like the goalies.

4. Any news on a possible cameo for Ben Quadinaros? - Brian Bedell

If the NFL lockout is resolved before next season I’ll consider it.

5. Will we see Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka talk to each other about Mortis? - Mike Rondeau

No, not to each other.

6. Will we be seeing Aayla Secura return? - Christopher McNish

For now, Aayla has been mainly cast as a background Jedi. I would love to see her get a starring role if the story calls for it, but that hasn’t happened yet.

7. I have a few questions; I apologize if they have already been asked...

Will we see an official timeline of the episodes at any point soon? It's been mentioned before, but now that Season Three is drawing to a close, it seems like now would be the time. In most cases, it's easy to figure out, but there are a few questions: is "Ambush" before or after the Ryloth battle trilogy? How far after "Rookies" is "ARC Troopers" in relation to the other episodes?

How did Aurra Sing escape custody after "Assassin" in order to help Cad Bane in "Hostage Crisis"?

A Season Two question: How is it that Ahsoka meets Jocasta Nu for the first time in "Holocron Heist?” It seems that Ahsoka is fairly well-read, and I'm assuming she grew up at the Temple, so why haven't the two met before? – John Lindquist

We will try to get the timeline out really soon. It answers all your questions.

A story of bribery and blackmail. Cad Bane identifies Aurra Sing as critical to his prison break of Ziro the Hutt. Thus, it is Cad who breaks Aurra out of jail with the help and financing of the Hutts.

There are many librarians to service the temple needs. Jocasta works with high level Jedi and Padawans during the Clone Wars. Up until then, their paths had not crossed officially. Think of it like a freshman student at a school who knows of certain teachers, but has never met them.

9. What happened to the "Twilight?” - Michael Lincoln

The Twilight is down for repairs. I almost had the Zillo Beast eat it as an homage to Godzilla – when he eats the train in the 1954 classic. I recently discussed a Twilight appearance, though…

10. Might we see in a future episode the origin of Obi-Wan's nickname "Ben?” According to Ep 4 he was using it before Luke was born. (It could have been a random alias he adopted though). - Thom Willis

Satine used to call Obi-Wan “Ben” in an episode, but it was later revised to “Obi.” We reasoned that Obi-Wan would only use “Ben” during the period that he was in hiding, thus it would be a better secret name.

11. These episodes are awesome! I dig the clone action, so this arc was killer. I have a question though: What's on Five's helmet? Just to humor me :) When do we get to meet Clone Commander Bacarra and his lads? - Blake IrishGuy Whitacre

Fives’ helmet has a stylized Rishi Eel on it, the creature that ate Cut-Up in “Rookies.” I’m hoping to get Bacarra in at some point, and the marines, but I don’t know when yet.

12. Mr. Filoni, Please would you consider a Grievous personal arc in Season 4 with a visit to his home planet and his people? Like you all did with Asajj in S3...Grievous needs to be visited and expanded upon! He is more than just a brute or a pawn. The general is great strategiest and fighter, he is not a loser as portrayed so far! I know that if you give the character an opportunity, he could do amazing stories and excite fans! Grievous for the win! - Daniel Georgiev

I agree that Grievous has a lot to offer, and I know he has had some hard losses. Eventually, he will get a big win and maybe we can do more on him as we get closer to Revenge of the Sith. We’ll just have to wait and see.

13. Any chance we'll see the Millennium Falcon in a future episode? (Or hidden in a past episode?) - John Paul Lona

Possibly we’ll see the same class of ship in a background, but not the Falcon.

14. Hi Dave...great job on season 3...totally awesome! How did you get George to agree to 1) letting Ahsoka carry a 'shoto' and 2) getting the 'shoto' blade to be yellow? He has been steadfast on the Jedi blue/green/sometimes purple and Sith red thing forever. Are we going to see more saber colors in the future? - David Manderville

I gave Ahsoka a shoto and George didn’t seem to mind. Her blade is green, though – a very yellow green. Some say it looks more yellow than green, but it’s green. Trust me. As for the rest, we’ll see reds, greens, blues and purple. That’s it. Tera Sinube’s saber was very light blue and Viszla has the only Dark Saber.

15. OK, I know that this is a stupid question, but it's about my favourite character. So, how did Cody get his scar? :D - Janka Hernádi

To be honest, I don’t know. If George knows, he hasn’t told me yet.

16. Hi there - I saw in the latest issue of the INSIDER that you met with Peter Mayhew recently, before bringing Chewbacca into THE CLONE WARS. Just curious what such a meeting adds to your creative process? Or, do you just do it because you’re a fan who just wants the chance to hang out with Peter Mayhew? (Heck, I know that if I was in your position, I'd try and meet every cast and crew member from all 6 films at least once!) - Timothy McMahon

I wanted Peter to spend time with the crew so they would better understand the actor who played Chewie and his mannerisms. That made it even more important to get the details just right and respect the character. Peter shared a wealth of knowledge with us. He shared details about his performance, the mechanics of Chewie’s costume and discussed his personality and physical movements. Besides all of that, Peter is a great guy. He loves Star Wars and his passion for it after so many years is infectious. I wanted my crew to see that love of Star Wars, and understand that they are part of something very special. And yes, as a fan it’s great!

Edited by commanderneyo

We will NOT be seeing young Han Solo. I’m not into that. I like meeting Han in the Cantina in Episode IV. As for the Mortis Trilogy – it is a beginning, not an ending.

Ugh. With every good news, bad news always follows. :hmpf_bad: Hopefully the continuation of that arc will actually make sense and have a point.

By the way, commanderneyo, could you please always state your source?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Hmmm, I hope that Mortis is a before what we saw, lets have more starkiller.

Still think the 2 with 99 should have been the last 2, went down hill for the most part.

Ugh. With every good news, bad news always follows. :hmpf_bad: Hopefully the continuation of that arc will actually make sense and have a point.

By the way, commanderneyo, could you please always state your source?

The Dave Filoni facebook page run by his assistant Meagan Finnerty was holding a Q&A session... http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/dave-filoni/qa/10150219391017571 There is the source...

Dunno if this will ever be answered but...When the clones (other than ARCs) get the Phase II armor? They get it eventually. It was in Star Wars: Clone Wars and ROTS.

Dunno if this will ever be answered but...When the clones (other than ARCs) get the Phase II armor? They get it eventually. It was in Star Wars: Clone Wars and ROTS.

When Lucas decides it's time... which basically means, who knows?

I wonder why so many people asked about cameos... is the show so uninteresting that putting in something else that's cool would make it better? (Samuel L. Jackson certainly couldn't save the Prequels.) 'he could do amazing stories and excite fans...' heh. As if he hasn't already done that.

Probably sometime next season, we'll be getting EP3 versions of clone wars stuff. They already have new character models for a few characters, plus the ARC and Venetors.

This Padawan Lost episode kinda reminds me of a book I read when I was a freshman, The Most Dangerous Game.

Dave Filoni confirmed in a Q&A seassion that we won't be seeing Han Solo in TCW so thats a relief for any fans who didn't want more canon broken for Solo to appear...

Here are the rest of the questions Filoni answered in the spoiler...

1. Dave, as I was watching episode 64: "Citadel Rescue" seeing close up shots of Saesee Tiin speaking in the cockpit of his Jedi starfighter, I am just amazed at the difference in difference between animation models of more recently created characters from those that have been with us since the shows the clone wars theatrical debut. The plus is I am literally blown away, the downside of the bar being raised so high, is I find myself left wanting when it comes to the classic characters such as Kenobi and Skywalker whose faces (to me) still have a very wooden look or resemblance of a "Team America: World Police" (2004) type of feel to them. Since development is so far ahead o the release schedule, any chance of a makeover for the core heroes coming down the pipe (for faces more than wardrobe)? - Brian C Bocian

Thanks for noticing the upgrades and development of the character models. It has taken a great deal of work. Actually, Anakin and Obi-Wan have been upgraded; the changes are just very subtle. But both have slightly more rounded faces and Obi-Wan’s hair got a total overhaul.

2. What was the third possible ending for Citadel Rescue that we weren't told about in the episode commentary? - Nicholas Byington-Wakeley and Adnan Al-Baroudi

The third ending was that Osi-Sobeck was to report in to Count Dooku that the Jedi had escaped. Dooku would then order the crab droids to execute Sobeck.

3. Can you ask Dave who he likes better, Malkin or Crosby? - Kale Davidoff

My favorite Penguin is Michel Dion, goalie from 1981-1984. My favorite current Penguin is Marc Andre Fleury, also a goalie. And both Fleury and Dion wore #29, ironically. I like both Makin and Crosby, but since I played goal I tend to like the goalies.

4. Any news on a possible cameo for Ben Quadinaros? - Brian Bedell

If the NFL lockout is resolved before next season I’ll consider it.

5. Will we see Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka talk to each other about Mortis? - Mike Rondeau

No, not to each other.

6. Will we be seeing Aayla Secura return? - Christopher McNish

For now, Aayla has been mainly cast as a background Jedi. I would love to see her get a starring role if the story calls for it, but that hasn’t happened yet.

7. I have a few questions; I apologize if they have already been asked...

Will we see an official timeline of the episodes at any point soon? It's been mentioned before, but now that Season Three is drawing to a close, it seems like now would be the time. In most cases, it's easy to figure out, but there are a few questions: is "Ambush" before or after the Ryloth battle trilogy? How far after "Rookies" is "ARC Troopers" in relation to the other episodes?

How did Aurra Sing escape custody after "Assassin" in order to help Cad Bane in "Hostage Crisis"?

A Season Two question: How is it that Ahsoka meets Jocasta Nu for the first time in "Holocron Heist?” It seems that Ahsoka is fairly well-read, and I'm assuming she grew up at the Temple, so why haven't the two met before? – John Lindquist

We will try to get the timeline out really soon. It answers all your questions.

A story of bribery and blackmail. Cad Bane identifies Aurra Sing as critical to his prison break of Ziro the Hutt. Thus, it is Cad who breaks Aurra out of jail with the help and financing of the Hutts.

There are many librarians to service the temple needs. Jocasta works with high level Jedi and Padawans during the Clone Wars. Up until then, their paths had not crossed officially. Think of it like a freshman student at a school who knows of certain teachers, but has never met them.

9. What happened to the "Twilight?” - Michael Lincoln

The Twilight is down for repairs. I almost had the Zillo Beast eat it as an homage to Godzilla – when he eats the train in the 1954 classic. I recently discussed a Twilight appearance, though…

10. Might we see in a future episode the origin of Obi-Wan's nickname "Ben?” According to Ep 4 he was using it before Luke was born. (It could have been a random alias he adopted though). - Thom Willis

Satine used to call Obi-Wan “Ben” in an episode, but it was later revised to “Obi.” We reasoned that Obi-Wan would only use “Ben” during the period that he was in hiding, thus it would be a better secret name.

11. These episodes are awesome! I dig the clone action, so this arc was killer. I have a question though: What's on Five's helmet? Just to humor me :) When do we get to meet Clone Commander Bacarra and his lads? - Blake IrishGuy Whitacre

Fives’ helmet has a stylized Rishi Eel on it, the creature that ate Cut-Up in “Rookies.” I’m hoping to get Bacarra in at some point, and the marines, but I don’t know when yet.

12. Mr. Filoni, Please would you consider a Grievous personal arc in Season 4 with a visit to his home planet and his people? Like you all did with Asajj in S3...Grievous needs to be visited and expanded upon! He is more than just a brute or a pawn. The general is great strategiest and fighter, he is not a loser as portrayed so far! I know that if you give the character an opportunity, he could do amazing stories and excite fans! Grievous for the win! - Daniel Georgiev

I agree that Grievous has a lot to offer, and I know he has had some hard losses. Eventually, he will get a big win and maybe we can do more on him as we get closer to Revenge of the Sith. We’ll just have to wait and see.

13. Any chance we'll see the Millennium Falcon in a future episode? (Or hidden in a past episode?) - John Paul Lona

Possibly we’ll see the same class of ship in a background, but not the Falcon.

14. Hi Dave...great job on season 3...totally awesome! How did you get George to agree to 1) letting Ahsoka carry a 'shoto' and 2) getting the 'shoto' blade to be yellow? He has been steadfast on the Jedi blue/green/sometimes purple and Sith red thing forever. Are we going to see more saber colors in the future? - David Manderville

I gave Ahsoka a shoto and George didn’t seem to mind. Her blade is green, though – a very yellow green. Some say it looks more yellow than green, but it’s green. Trust me. As for the rest, we’ll see reds, greens, blues and purple. That’s it. Tera Sinube’s saber was very light blue and Viszla has the only Dark Saber.

15. OK, I know that this is a stupid question, but it's about my favourite character. So, how did Cody get his scar? :D - Janka Hernádi

To be honest, I don’t know. If George knows, he hasn’t told me yet.

16. Hi there - I saw in the latest issue of the INSIDER that you met with Peter Mayhew recently, before bringing Chewbacca into THE CLONE WARS. Just curious what such a meeting adds to your creative process? Or, do you just do it because you’re a fan who just wants the chance to hang out with Peter Mayhew? (Heck, I know that if I was in your position, I'd try and meet every cast and crew member from all 6 films at least once!) - Timothy McMahon

I wanted Peter to spend time with the crew so they would better understand the actor who played Chewie and his mannerisms. That made it even more important to get the details just right and respect the character. Peter shared a wealth of knowledge with us. He shared details about his performance, the mechanics of Chewie’s costume and discussed his personality and physical movements. Besides all of that, Peter is a great guy. He loves Star Wars and his passion for it after so many years is infectious. I wanted my crew to see that love of Star Wars, and understand that they are part of something very special. And yes, as a fan it’s great!

where can you ask these questions?

I loved the Wookiee action in the last episode. Hope the series will continue to hint on the Kashyyyk invasion on ROTS. Plus, the appearance of the Mercs' Gunship made me want to get the Lego set, which I didn't find interesting at all until now.

Uh, so what happened to something actually exciting happening, Dave?

Nobody died, there were no big revelations, nothing unexpected… that arc ended just as I would've predicted it to end, which isn't necessarily a good thing. I would've liked something a bit 'new' to cap off the season, but I guess that's not what a finale is for.

In retrospect, this was a very good season, and probably the best yet. Besides for getting muddled with Senate episodes and the terrible Mortis arc, the rest was very well done and even showed a little character development. Honestly that's all you could ask for from the CW.

As for the tagline of 'Secrets Revealed,' well… we already knew from season two that the season tagline doesn't mean much. It seems like the only secrets they thought they were revealing were in the Mortis arc, and that in my mind was the worst part of this season. Season two wasn't so heavily focused on Bounty Hunters anyway.

Hopefully season four will bring even more little changes.

Nobody died, there were no big revelations, nothing unexpected… that arc ended just as I would've predicted it to end, which isn't necessarily a good thing. I would've liked something a bit 'new' to cap off the season, but I guess that's not what a finale is for.

In retrospect, this was a very good season, and probably the best yet. Besides for getting muddled with Senate episodes and the terrible Mortis arc, the rest was very well done and even showed a little character development. Honestly that's all you could ask for from the CW.

As for the tagline of 'Secrets Revealed,' well… we already knew from season two that the season tagline doesn't mean much. It seems like the only secrets they thought they were revealing were in the Mortis arc, and that in my mind was the worst part of this season. Season two wasn't so heavily focused on Bounty Hunters anyway.

Agreed. This season brought more mysteries than it revealed secrets. It's like whispering into someones ear telling them the secret you were going to tell them is that you have 1000 more pivotal secrets to tell them.

+1 on the secrets revealed, -1000000 on the season, apart from the first 2, the rest was like the final season of BSG, boring and rubbish.

When Lucas decides it's time... which basically means, who knows?

I wonder why so many people asked about cameos... is the show so uninteresting that putting in something else that's cool would make it better? (Samuel L. Jackson certainly couldn't save the Prequels.) 'he could do amazing stories and excite fans...' heh. As if he hasn't already done that.

That reminds me. I would LOVE to see Fordo and gang in The Clone Wars. He is, undoubtedly, the most badass clone ever.

I think the argument of whether or not season 3 was better than 2 could go on for a very long time. Season 2 was mostly great, it was almost all very good episodes. Season 3 had a good start with the first two episodes, but everything after that was pretty dull until we got to the Nightsisters. Personally, I think the episodes that were good in season 3 were amazingly good and completely outdid anything we had in the previous two seasons. The action was better, the stories were more mature and developed, there was more detail and thought put into everything.. It all seemed like a drastic step up, it's just a shame they focused on so many boring filler episodes at the beginning. The three on Mandalore in particular are amongst the worst in the series.

I quite enjoyed the finale.. It wasn't as epic as Cad Bane or Boba Fett but it helped advance Ahsoka a bit more, her interaction with Anakin at the end was especially nice. We saw Anakin forming attachments to an almost obsessive level and Ahsoka has come a long way from the 'snippy' teenager we saw in the movie. I liked that he actually called her his Padawan, rather than Snips.. I think that's the first time he's really acknowledged her as that, other than when she's just being told off.

Oh and bringing in Sugi and the Halo at the end there was great fan service!

her interaction with Anakin at the end was especially nice

I don't know, it seemed kind of forced and unnatural to me. :sceptic:

Okay, so I finally decided to watch all the episodes just so I'd know what people were talking about, since I found reading Wookieepedia didn't really cut it. Just finished today. I think Season 3 was definitely better than S1, S2, and the movie, although it did have it's "what the MegaBloks?" moments for me. *cough*Mortis-trilogy was totally confusing*cough* The season really started off well with the clone episodes, but it went downhill from there, I think. Ziro is/was annoying as ever - thank goodness he finally died - and the one big Jedi they did kill off was one that was supposed to survive past Order 66. Then they did the whole Nightsister thing, which was cool seeing the fights but otherwise rather disappointing. If you're going to massively change the past of two major characters, you'd better have something big to wow everyone with, and the Nightsister episodes didn't do that for me. The Mortis arc seemed more enchantment and magic than the Force. I mean, when I first saw the change-into-animal-form thing, the first thing I thought of was when my sister watched Barbie of Swan Lake and was walking through the room just as wizard guy changed into giant birdie thing. Not exactly what you want out of a sci-fi show. Then there was the season 'finale' which wasn't much of one to me. The second half went just as I predicted: Wookiee rescue, Trandoshans die, all the major good guys escape unharmed. And the episode ended without anyone paying any attention to a pair of younglings who went missing for far longer than Ahsoka did.

I didn't realise this episode was out, it didn't show up when TCW usually does, so I checked wikipedia which told me it actually was airing this coming weekend. I checked again today and found it... not bad, but not the best season finale.

Yeah because the US went a couple of weeks without it for some reason, the UK aired it early.

Yeah because the US went a couple of weeks without it for some reason, the UK aired it early.

Huh, I wondered why there hadn't been immediate buzz about it immediately after last Friday night. I always watch it online, so I had no idea.

In any case, I'm interested to see what they'll bring next season, but the show is always disjointed. It's just a collection of small stories, and the way they are arranged in the seasons doesn't make much difference. Hopefully, next season will open with Savage being off on his 'journey;' that at least might be interesting.

Yeah and because of that the only thing people are excited about for the US airing on Cartoon Network is that the Season 4 first preview will be shown afterwards! :thumbup:

Is anyone even excited to see it for that reason, will end up on utube and dozens of other sites.

BTW the 6 movies go blu-ray 16.9.11.